Downfall

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KentBlue, 16 Jul 2012.

1. KentBlue

KentBlue

Watched it last night. Brilliant! The chap playing Hitler (Bruno Gans?) is excellent. Most war films show Hitler as a bit too one-dimensional - rabid, demonic, screaming and bellowing and waving his arms about a lot. But this actor gives a little more depth to the character and thus you see him (Hitler) more as a human being than the phsycotic, deranged monster many actors play him as.

Also, there's an interesting documentary on the 2nd disc about the making of the film (for those like me that like that sort of thing). How the German production company went to Russia (St Petersburg) and filmed a lot of it.
    Given the events portrayed in the film I thought it was great that the Russians were so accomodating.

I know most people are aware of the YouTube parodies that show a certain scene in the bunker, but it really is a great film and the acting is quite superb.

2. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

Down fall is simply THE BEST biopic of Hitler albeit his last days. The paranoia and self delusion are caputured superbly. Possibly as a result of this being an eye witness account from one of the secretaires Traudl Junge.
    Did anybody see the two movies on BBC4 over the past few weeks about Jaques Mesrine? Equally brilliant but shameful damage to classic French cars of the 70's

3. jimharri

jimharri

The film that launched a thousand YouTube clips! Excellent film by the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Forzacitizens

Forzacitizens

it's a really good film.

Have you seen Hitler: The Rise of Evil?

That's with Robert Carlysle, really good also.

5. Big Mac

Big Mac

One of the best acting performances I've ever seen. Brilliant film.

6. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

Hitler? I thought it was all about Damocles' melt-down over server problems on here.

7. Brilliant film.

8. The Fat el Hombre

The Fat el Hombre

Awesome film if you haven't seen it get it watched

9. nobody can eat fifty eggs

nobody can eat fifty eggs

Top film. Has anyone seen The Lives Of Others? Set in East Germany in 1984, it's about surveillance on members of the public and public figures at the time.....Brilliant.

10. wayne71

wayne71

I can only find it in its german name 'der untergang' but can't find any subs to match it.