Drinking alcohol in your seat

I was 10 when I first went to Maine Road in 1975. Sat in the North Stand and every bloke around me had a drink in their hand. 8 years later ‘proudly’ stood on The Kippax as we slid into Division 2 pint in hand. I still remember the days of being able to have a pint, think it was after Hillsborough it became illegal. Last time I remember everyone really pissed up at a game & drinking in the stands was the Charlton 5-1. Must have been many times after - perhaps 5-1 rags? but Mr J Holt has jaded the little grey cells.

Where I sat, id imagine there would be a few. I had a bloke who sat in front of me for 2 seasons, who spent more time drinking, in the concourse than he did watching the actual game. His missus even cottoned on to this fact cos she must have been watching the game on TV and noticed he wasn't at his seat, so text him asking where he was. I know this cos he was grumbling away to his mate, when he actually decided watching City was better than getting pissed.
I also used to spend around 15 minutes of each half stood up, waiting for people to either head to the bars or come back from the bars.
Closing the bars 5 minutes after kick off may work but as others have said, you get drunk people and you get trouble. It almost goes hand-in-hand. Especially on a Derby Day.
Imagine Leeds or Millwall fans being able to drink in their seats. It would be akin to a Chimps Teaparty
So now we know the who started this empty sear spotting craze!

I really couldn’t be arsed drinking a beer in my seat. I’m watching a football match not at a concert ffs

I was 10 when I first went to Maine Road in 1975. Sat in the North Stand and every bloke around me had a drink in their hand. 8 years later ‘proudly’ stood on The Kippax as we slid into Division 2 pint in hand. I still remember the days of being able to have a pint, think it was after Hillsborough it became illegal. Last time I remember everyone really pissed up at a game & drinking in the stands was the Charlton 5-1. Must have been many times after - perhaps 5-1 rags? but Mr J Holt has jaded the little grey cells.
Wasn't allowed at the 5-1
A mate was walking down one of the tunnels to the kippax carrying a beer
He was grabbed, beer confiscated, picture taken and ejected
He got back in when the exit gates were opened ten minutes from the end

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.