Driving tour of Ireland

Killarney is probably one of the most picturesque places I've been to. Stayed at Millstreet which is a quirky little place. Some good bars around there. People round that area are very welcoming.

so thanks for all your suggestions. Our plan so far is:

Ferry to Belfast on stenaline. Has anyone experience of the larne cairnryan route and especially p and o vs Stena?
First night in Kilkenny
Second in Cork
Then killarney
Then a night in a little place half way round ring of Kerry
Then looking for a night in Dingle or thereabouts - any specific suggestions welcome?
6th night in Galway - is Galway a one night stop or is it worth two do you think?
7 th carrick on Shannon. Mrs S has ancestors from round there

That’s it so far. Any further suggestions pubs and restaurants round that itinerary very welcome. Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

Ferry to Belfast on stenaline. Has anyone experience of the larne cairnryan route and especially p and o vs Stena?
First night in Kilkenny
Second in Cork
Then killarney
Then looking for a night in Dingle or thereabouts - any specific suggestions welcome?
6th night in Galway - is Galway a one night stop or is it worth two do you think?

That’s it so far. Any further suggestions pubs and restraints round that itinerary very welcome. Cheers in advance.

Did Larne - Cairnryan about 18 years ago when we bought my mate's car and drove it back from Belfast to London. Can't remember the ferry company tbh, but it's only a relatively short hop - maybe 3-4 hours - so can't see that it would make much of a difference. Just long enough to watch a film. They were showing "The Mexican" with Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt (i think) on my crossing. Don't spend anytime in either Stranraer or Larne. Both shitholes.

"Restraints" - you on an S&M tour or something? Don't forget to pack your gas mask ;)

Did Larne - Cairnryan about 18 years ago when we bought my mate's car and drove it back from Belfast to London. Can't remember the ferry company tbh, but it's only a relatively short hop - maybe 3-4 hours - so can't see that it would make much of a difference. Just long enough to watch a film. They were showing "The Mexican" with Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt (i think) on my crossing. Don't spend anytime in either Stranraer or Larne. Both shitholes.

"Restraints" - you on an S&M tour or something? Don't forget to pack your gas mask ;)
Ha. Should have read restaurants of course. Don’t you love predictive text.

Did it a few years back around the same time, weather was glorious. Traveled the Wild Atlantic Way (Road) along the west coast for 2 weeks. Started in Cork and made it all the way to Donegal, no places booked, stayed in a mix of BnBs, hostels and Hotels, and stopping off in various places, no real plans, its all very scenic along this route, used a lonely planet guide as went along for recommendations.

Best for music for me - Doolin in Clare

Most Scenic Counties - West Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Donegal and Antrim (east side).

First night in Kilkenny
Second in Cork
Then killarney

That’s it so far. Any further suggestions pubs and restaurants round that itinerary very welcome. Cheers in advance.

Collect some Euro coinage on the ferry for the road tolls. You’ll need a bit, cos that’s a good few miles you’re doing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.