Driving using brake/accelerator hand controls

mosssideblue

Having to quickly concede that my driving is becoming a worry. I have already had to go to an automatic car as the muscles in my left leg were struggling to use the clutch and now, several years on, my right leg is struggling too, particularly with braking.

Wheelchair bound, my WAV is my only real independence and I wish to carry on driving.

I have been looking at having hand controls fitted, pull for accelerator and push for brake and wondered if anyone out there has used these and would be willing to share their experience in terms of safety, cost and effectiveness.

Cheers all

Having to quickly concede that my driving is becoming a worry. I have already had to go to an automatic car as the muscles in my left leg were struggling to use the clutch and now, several years on, my right leg is struggling too, particularly with braking.

Wheelchair bound, my WAV is my only real independence and I wish to carry on driving.

I have been looking at having hand controls fitted, pull for accelerator and push for brake and wondered if anyone out there has used these and would be willing to share their experience in terms of safety, cost and effectiveness.

Cheers all
I have no idea Blue but wish you the best of luck

Hi, I was a trade-plate driver for a 8 years and drove several cars with hand controls fitted. Even though I could drive the vehicle normally I stuck to using the hand controls as it was a bit different. Can't help with cost but they are very easy to use and it soon becomes second nature. You have the same amount of control. I wouldn't worry about making the switch. Best of luck

Cheers all
Never used them and I dont know much about it but I will say this.
As soon as my elderly neighbour gave up driving he quickly deteriorated health wise, as being pretty much housebound is not a nice thing. He kind of gave up on life, changed completely, and he died not long after.
I'm not at all suggesting this could happen to you, but if there is a way of keeping driving you should definitely do it.
Good luck with it.

Never used them and I dont know much about it but I will say this.
As soon as my elderly neighbour gave up driving he quickly deteriorated health wise, as being pretty much housebound is not a nice thing. He kind of gave up on life, changed completely, and he died not long after.
I'm not at all suggesting this could happen to you, but if there is a way of keeping driving you should definitely do it.
Good luck with it.
Thanks bud. Defo agree that I will try to keep driving, even with hand controls

Hi, I was a trade-plate driver for a 8 years and drove several cars with hand controls fitted. Even though I could drive the vehicle normally I stuck to using the hand controls as it was a bit different. Can't help with cost but they are very easy to use and it soon becomes second nature. You have the same amount of control. I wouldn't worry about making the switch. Best of luck
Thanks. Ben looking at utube clips and my only worry is that it looks as though you only steer with one hand

Hello, I usually just lurk for for news etc, but this thread made me register. There is an organisation called Driving Mobility, a national organisation made up of charities and NHS organisations (full disclosure I do work for the organisation) that can offer independent advice on driving and adaptations to help people continue to drive.

I recommend you check out the link below as they should be be able to help you.

Home - Driving Mobility

My mate had a stroke and motobility sorted him out, hand controls everything.
I presume it is the one @Lardy_Blue has just mentioned but they were/are great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.