Drying the ball

They must have more towels round the pitch than they've got in a Turkish Bath for fucks sake. They appear from everywhere as if by magic.

King_Ralph_Blumer said:
It takes Delap nearly a minute to dry the ball to either hurl it long or short, but why is no time added on for this.
How is this not a timewasting tactic.

How is it not against the spirit of the game - if not technically illegal?

I did notice the ball boys were almost trained to throw the towel to him perfectly. Watch when he finishes drying the towel, the ball boys know to catch it instantly.

Not a comment on the legality of it like, but just reckon that they have practiced the towel thing.

It seems it is now accepted that Stoke take a minute to take a throw in. Two things annoyed me tonight. When one throw in went in and skimmed off Lescott and went out the other side, we have to wait for that cart horse to lumber across to the other side and then dry the ball off again. It takes about two minutes. The other thing was, his new "tactic" of taking a minute to lumber to the ball, then dry it off, take a huge run up and throw it short 2 yards. He should be booked for time wasting.

We should have a stop watch out next time. Work out the delay and then literally take the piss to highlight the problem. Give the ball to Zabba and make him grab the ball and lean up against the sponsor boards for the allotted time before taking the throw. I bet he would be booked instantly.

we are not the only team to fall to this tactic
and its a decent weapon to have so I am not knocking them for it.
But when the game of footy was first invented , do you think anyone thought of introducing towels into the equation?

It's a canny tactic, no doubt about it. There should be a new rule that if the ball goes out for a throw in the ball boys should have a supply of dry balls available for throws so The Delaps don't have to waste time drying it with a bar towel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.