Dubrovnik

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by willipp, 1 May 2019.

1. willipp

willipp

Wifes 40th this summer and planning a weekend away in August. Been to a lot of the more popular places in europe and looking for somewhere a bit different. Dubrovnik looks amazing, just wondering if anyone has been and would they recommend it?

2. I'm With Stupid

I'm With Stupid

It's good, but don't go there expecting it to not be a popular place. There are times you can barely move in the old town for tourists.

3. squirtyflower

squirtyflower

We had a long weekend in Dubrovnik.
    Rented an apartment in a house.
    Lovely place but food/drink more that we expected. Visit early/late in the day before the cruise ship hordes ransack the place.
    There’s a great peninsula near the new docks and a fantastic bar overlooking the sea, part of a hotel

4. Richard

Richard

Went a couple of years ago and stayed in a place called Cavtat, just down the coast.

It's a really nice town in itself and was a lot more relaxed than Dubrovnik. Boat into the old town took about 25 mins each way.

5. Millwallawayveteran1988

Millwallawayveteran1988

Mate of mine said it was pretty hilly

6. johnmc

johnmc

Great place

7. blueparrot

blueparrot

Think if it's for longer Cavtat is a perfect base love just sitting around the harbour watching people and the yachts, but just for a weekend maybe better to stay in Dubrovnik.

8. Banned Tosspot

Banned Tosspot

Overrated.

Go to Omis, Sibenik or Split.

keedon likes this.
  9. OilBoy2008

OilBoy2008

Team supported:
    Manchester City
    Stayed in Cavtat in 2015, beautiful place and away from the tourist hustle and bustle of Dubrovnik. Easy enough to get the boat over though in the morning or for an evening meal. Some of the best food I've ever eaten was in the little restaurants nearby to Cavtat harbour.

Only issue we had in Cavtat was I booked a hotel run by a French company, the demographic was about 90% French, 8% Russian, 2% British. The French are dirty pigs to live amongst and rude as fuck.

Cheap boat tours to islands nearby like Lopud, Sipan and Kolocep, food included.

10. OilBoy2008

OilBoy2008

Team supported:
    Manchester City
    I've seen Split get a bad reputation online, but I like it. Short boat ride over to Bol as well, which is paradise. Apparently Makarska is good as well nearby, but yet to go there.