Durham

Innsbruckblue

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 May 2010
Messages
1,889
Do any Blues know anything about the city of Durham?

I've just been offered a temporary teaching post at Durham University.
However, having never actually been to the city, I know nothing about it all.

I would greatly appreciate any info. Cheers.
 

Prestwich_Blue

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 Jan 2006
Messages
54,726
Location
Wherever I lay my hat that's my home
Lovely place. I was there a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed with it. University is a mini Oxbridge based on colleges around the cathedral. Plenty of pubs and restaurants in the centre.

I'd jump at the chance if I were you.
 

Sunsh111ne

Well-Known Member
Joined
11 Nov 2009
Messages
94
leipzigblue said:
Do any Blues know anything about the city of Durham?

I've just been offered a temporary teaching post at Durham University.
However, having never actually been to the city, I know nothing about it all.

I would greatly appreciate any info. Cheers.

Hey!

Durham is beeeeautiful. I lived there for 3 years when I went uni and it is just stunning with a gorgeous cathedral and castle slap bang in the centre of it. It is very small so you will always bump into everyone you know wherever you go but Newcastle is just ten mins away on the train so you get the best of both worlds if you tend to get claustrophobic and crave the big city atmosphere.

There are 12 college bars scattered across the town all in about 5-10 mins of each other which sell cheap ass booze - I dunno if you can do these bar crawls as staff but hey ho it is FUN! I did it with ZMZ once and he ended up on the bar top in Hatfield singing blue moon!

On the down side you do yet a lot of tof's or 'rar's' as they call them in the student community so there are a few fancy shmancy restaurants / coffee bars and the night life is quite tongue in cheek and cheesy (they have a party boat on a Sun and a club called Klute which played ghostbusters when I was there!). However, there are some decent bars/ pubs too and Newcastle is just down the road. There are actually some pubs in the centre that students are told to steer clear of as locals are hostile - The Fighting Cox is the main one. I asked them for a job when I was there haha!

Anyway I'm waffling cos I love Durham - if you have any specific Q's fire them across and I'll do my best to help x
 

gaudinho's stolen car

Well-Known Member
Joined
4 Jan 2009
Messages
16,670
Location
BHS, shopping for kimonos.
Sunsh1ne said:
leipzigblue said:
Do any Blues know anything about the city of Durham?

I've just been offered a temporary teaching post at Durham University.
However, having never actually been to the city, I know nothing about it all.

I would greatly appreciate any info. Cheers.

Hey!

Durham is beeeeautiful. I lived there for 3 years when I went uni and it is just stunning with a gorgeous cathedral and castle slap bang in the centre of it. It is very small so you will always bump into everyone you know wherever you go but Newcastle is just ten mins away on the train so you get the best of both worlds if you tend to get claustrophobic and crave the big city atmosphere.

There are 12 college bars scattered across the town all in about 5-10 mins of each other which sell cheap ass booze - I dunno if you can do these bar crawls as staff but hey ho it is FUN! I did it with ZMZ once and he ended up on the bar top in Hatfield singing blue moon!

On the down side you do yet a lot of tof's or 'rar's' as they call them in the student community so there are a few fancy shmancy restaurants / coffee bars and the night life is quite tongue in cheek and cheesy (they have a party boat on a Sun and a club called Klute which played ghostbusters when I was there!). However, there are some decent bars/ pubs too and Newcastle is just down the road. There are actually some pubs in the centre that students are told to steer clear of as locals are hostile - The Fighting Cox is the main one. I asked them for a job when I was there haha!

Anyway I'm waffling cos I love Durham - if you have any specific Q's fire them across and I'll do my best to help x

A bluemoon romance??
 

Stuart

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 May 2004
Messages
5,118
Location
Rhythm Road , Grooveville , Dubshire .
leipzigblue said:
Do any Blues know anything about the city of Durham?

I've just been offered a temporary teaching post at Durham University.
However, having never actually been to the city, I know nothing about it all.

I would greatly appreciate any info. Cheers.


I got nicked there in 92 and got a proper kickin' off the dibble.
That's all I've got on Durham. Sorry.
 

denislawsbackheel

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
21,491
one kid went to Durham another currently there.
A beautiful city. As Bill Bryson (chancellor until end of 2011) said - get in your car and visit Durham, if you haven't got a car borrow mine.
Very small and hilly. Very quickly gets rough in the outlying streets. I don't know what other posters consider shmancy restaurants un less they mean Oldfields, Ask and Nandos!
It isn't a campus uni, the teaching areas are all over the city, and you'll have to walk everywhere. It is the only City outside London with a congestion charge! On the whole it is a stunning environment.
 

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 May 2009
Messages
22,843
Location
over the rainbow
denislawsbackheel said:
one kid went to Durham another currently there.
A beautiful city. As Bill Bryson (chancellor until end of 2011) said - get in your car and visit Durham, if you haven't got a car borrow mine.
Very small and hilly. Very quickly gets rough in the outlying streets. I don't know what other posters consider shmancy restaurants un less they mean Oldfields, Ask and Nandos!
It isn't a campus uni, the teaching areas are all over the city, and you'll have to walk everywhere. It is the only City outside London with a congestion charge! On the whole it is a stunning environment.

Haven't really embraced this side of the city I see (O:
 

pauldominic

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 Feb 2011
Messages
5,576
Location
Preston
Durham Uni is about the 3rd top in the Uk behind Oxford and Cambridge..

The cathedral is one of the oldest (2nd I think behind Canterbury) in England and well worth a visit / guided tour.

Like someone said its very hilly but beautiful.
 

denislawsbackheel

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
21,491
pauldominic said:
Durham Uni is about the 3rd top in the Uk behind Oxford and Cambridge..

The cathedral is one of the oldest (2nd I think behind Canterbury) in England and well worth a visit / guided tour.

Like someone said its very hilly but beautiful.

It is good but not that good.
It isn't, and hasn't been, in the top 3 of any way of grading unis for some considerable time.
 

dom

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 May 2004
Messages
6,081
Location
chorlton
Beautiful but v conservative in outlook.

Full of expublic schoolboys who weren't bright enough for oxbridge but fancy something posh (e.g. Will Carling ex student).... a sort of north eastern StAndrew's
 

Don't have an account?

Register now!
Top
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.