Dusan Vlahovic | Signed for Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which attributes do you like ?

He would literally be another typical ‘versatile forward but not a proper striker’ type signing that we keep making.

He’s a far cry from the elite number 9 everyone keeps banging on about and is playing his best football at Benfica as a left winger.

Jesus and Torres would do the same job.

He would literally be another typical ‘versatile forward but not a proper striker’ type signing that we keep making.

He’s a far cry from the elite number 9 everyone keeps banging on about and is playing his best football at Benfica as a left winger.

Jesus and Torres would do the same job.

nunez isn’t a 9 you are correct, if Jesus can’t cut it as 9 at city , Nunez would be the same not worse. Fact of the matter is there’s a real lack of quality 9’s in world football , I would argue to say it’s becoming a outdated position.

prob why we were balls deep for kane then prob hoping delap would be ready once Kane was spent.

Last edited:
"I don't buy madrid's bluff. they might want and even have the money to go big and get haaland and mbappe next summer"

Sadly that is not true.

Their stadium will be finished, their income back and beyond pre pandemic levels.

Also, Bale, Modric, Benzimer all off the wage bill.

Madrid will blitz the market next summer, they could sign Mbappe, Haaland and Pogba for just 70m, and afford the crazy wages.

Real Madrid will be back, don't doubt that and they are still a dream move for a lot of top players, wonderful location, great culture and still a quality league, and huge media exposure for the players that want and need that to build their personal brand!
i'm not saying they won't have the money - i'm saying we are as good a destination and have as much pull. it's pep fucking guardiola. it's the best league in the world. madrid has historical pull but we have more than enough to rival them if we're willing to rival the finances.

i'm not saying they won't have the money - i'm saying we are as good a destination and have as much pull. it's pep fucking guardiola. it's the best league in the world. madrid has historical pull but we have more than enough to rival them if we're willing to rival the finances.
Thats impossible to say, every individual player will be different, where it might possibly be true for one lets say Haaland though we don’t know that,we know it certainly isnt for another Mbappe.
In fact I hazard a guess the pull of Madrid for most foreign players is bigger than the pull of City. No matter how much we might not see it as fans.

nunez isn’t a 9 you are correct, if Jesus can’t cut it as 9 at city , Nunez would be the same not worse. Fact of the matter is there’s a real lack of quality 9’s in world football , I would argue to say it’s becoming a outdated position.

prob why we were balls deep for kane then prob hoping delap would be ready once Kane was spent.
I can see Pep's legacy on football actually making out and out number 9s extinct in the future

It is the best league in the world, we do have Pep, but the culture here is not for everyone, if it's a choice between Madrid/Barca and Manchester, a lot of players will go for Spain, the fact that we are now competing at the top table for the top players tells you how far we have come.

La Liga is right now a decadent league and it won’t miraculously recover next season, even with Mbappe. Ligue 1 is still shit even with him, Neymar and Messi. No doubt Madrid is a draw for players, but it’s amazing to me how people still believe their own marketing even now. For instance, if you polled 17 and 18 year old players here in Brazil today asking where they want to go to play, Real Madrid or Manchester City, I would bet money that we would beat them.

The problem for me to believe Haaland would go there I have already said a few times here.

First of all, with the money they had for Mbappe who they would get for free next season and was a harder deal to make this past summer, they could have gotten Haaland. Dortmund would have taken that 180M that we and Chelsea would have offered. Why didn’t they? Because in my opinion, even if they leak to the press (and the press over there sure loves to sell these stories) they’re interested in him, which benefits them in a way they like, which is to look strong in the market, I don’t really think they are right now. They will surely get Mbappe, which will add a lot to their books. You can’t say they got so many players out and assume they can bring in the same expenses. The reason they got players out is partially the same as Barcelona, they need to get their finances fixed. Why in the world would they bring in Haaland when they already have Benzema, a player who isn’t showing signs of physical decline and in fact, is still as brilliant as ever when you watch him. A fantastic striker all around. They aren’t exactly lacking in the position even for replacements. Are they really going to do a luxury signing that would add a shitload to their currently very delicate wage bill? Would I be shocked? No; but I certainly think it’s unlikely.

Then there is the side of the player. He is building his status as the star or the decade alongside Mbappe. As he won’t have a national team to win anything with, he needs to rack up titles, individual awards and numbers/stats (goals, assists etc) in a massive way in a big market. He knows this and so do his advisors (father and agent). Why would he move to a club where he would have to share goals with Mbappe and Benzema, risking being maybe the third top scorer there, and also having to share the already limited spotlight in that league right now? It could be even worse with the Champions League. He is the face of Dortmund today and in my opinion, he wants to move to a club where he would have to be the face as well. That is why I look at us in a unique position. What other club offers that right now — the best and most competitive league, an easy ticket for being the club’s top goalscorer, the face of the team for marketing purposes etc?

I have given the Ronaldo example before. He become a legendary all-timer player the moment he moved to Real Madrid. Imagine he had left United and joined Barcelona, not United. What would have been of his career being there alongside Messi instead of profiting off being his rival, while both had a free way to build up very impressive numbers that shaped their legendary status. To me, it’s the same situation Haaland would have moving to Madrid now. Of course, he could very well move here, stay for, say, six years, and then move to Madrid, or Barcelona if they have recovered by then. And I wouldn’t mind that. But right now, I just can’t believe he would choose to move there. Madrid needs to spend on Mbappe and a player like Pogba, not Mbappe and Haaland. That just doesn’t make sense. Unless somehow Mbappe decides to stay at PSG or maybe move elsewhere, which seems very unlikely at this point.

The last time I posted something like this, a poster commented something like “Haaland won’t make his career decisions based on what another player does”. I’m sorry but I don’t believe that at all. I’m not saying he would be fixated on Mbappe necessarily, but on how he would fit in at a club. And Raiola is good at giving a player a career path and smelling where he would be needed the most. The way player and agent will make the most money isn’t just on a transfer or fees, but on becoming the biggest star possible and reaping what comes of that.

I am willing to hear the ways in which people disagree with my points, of course
I very patiently wrote this post laying out some points and no one made counterpoints, which no one has to, but to go on and keep making the same points that I tried to debate against, it’s a little upsetting.

It is the best league in the world, we do have Pep, but the culture here is not for everyone, if it's a choice between Madrid/Barca and Manchester, a lot of players will go for Spain, the fact that we are now competing at the top table for the top players tells you how far we have come.

I’m sorry but this just isn’t true. Maybe there are players who will pick Madrid or Barcelona over us or United for preferring those cities and its weather, but it stops there. What’s even crazier is including Barcelona in the equation. Does anyone believe any top player today would prefer Barcelona over us or United? There is no difference of exposure anymore. Premier League games have more audience than La Liga all over the world. Even in Spain Premier League games have massive audience, this can be literally quantified. No player playing for Madrid or Barcelona gets more attention than in Manchester clubs today. It would have been true a few years ago, but that era is gone. And a new era will have to be born for that to come back. And how does that happen without BOTH clubs being similarly strong? Mbappe wants Madrid for personal reasons. He loved them since childhood and believes he can be their star. Inter and AC Milan had their days and still are massive clubs though far from what they once were, but Lukaku, despite being the king of Milan, came back to the PL at the first opportunity. If Chelsea blinked, Hazard would come back to them immediately as well. There is more hype around English clubs in the Champions League than any others except PSG. This is all a new momentum and reality and I don’t expect people to catch up with it quickly and erase a lifetime of bowing down to those clubs. But if it continues, it will be harder to ignore

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of Cavani, good with his back to goal, gets the ball out of his feet quickly, forces defenders into mistakes, excellent attitude.

Only improving.
Cavani at the same age was a more complete striker, made less mistakes, better decision making, killer instinct and scored more goals in a more difficult league. I know you said he only reminds you of him, but it’s actually a good perspective to have. I think it’s one thing to draft a center back from the Portuguese league and a whole different story to sign a striker with fine but not yet impressive numbers and and performance levels improving but not quite there yet either. We will see where he is at the end of the season and maybe next season, but we don’t need someone to only play a few games as a 9. We have Torres for that already

I very patiently wrote this post laying out some points and no one made counterpoints, which no one has to, but to go on and keep making the same points that I tried to debate against, it’s a little upsetting.

I’m sorry but this just isn’t true. Maybe there are players who will pick Madrid or Barcelona over us or United for preferring those cities and its weather, but it stops there. What’s even crazier is including Barcelona in the equation. Does anyone believe any top player today would prefer Barcelona over us or United? There is no difference of exposure anymore. Premier League games have more audience than La Liga all over the world. Even in Spain Premier League games have massive audience, this can be literally quantified. No player playing for Madrid or Barcelona gets more attention than in Manchester clubs today. It would have been true a few years ago, but that era is gone. And a new era will have to be born for that to come back. And how does that happen without BOTH clubs being similarly strong? Mbappe wants Madrid for personal reasons. He loved them since childhood and believes he can be their star. Inter and AC Milan had their days and still are massive clubs though far from what they once were, but Lukaku, despite being the king of Milan, came back to the PL at the first opportunity. If Chelsea blinked, Hazard would come back to them immediately as well. There is more hype around English clubs in the Champions League than any others except PSG. This is all a new momentum and reality and I don’t expect people to catch up with it quickly and erase a lifetime of bowing down to those clubs. But if it continues, it will be harder to ignore
It doesn't stop there.

Madrid and Barcelona are historic clubs, end of story.

Top players will always consider going to those clubs, even if LaLiga is not the power it once was.

Raheem Sterling appears to be considering to go to Barca, at this time is that a step down? Yes , undoubtedly but it's still a hugely attractive move to a top player.

Barca will return to the top as will Real, they are institutions , we are not at that level yet in terms of status, although as I have already stated, the inroads we have made on them are huge and the players that we can now attract is a sign of just how far we have come.

The next step is to attract the next superstars, the likes of Haaland and Mpbappe, once we can do that we are at the very top of the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.