Eddie Stobart

Massive news this in the logistics game,don't know how it could happen to a company like them with the contracts they have,but like every other trade it's cut throat I suppose

Massive news this in the logistics game,don't know how it could happen to a company like them with the contracts they have,but like every other trade it's cut throat I suppose
I operate at the very low end of the light haulage/courier business and it’s tight margins. Lots of pallet carriers out there and third party sites Coordinating very cheap transport often without the correct insurance and certainly without Goods in Transit cover. The knock on is Drivers are seeing their wages cut and due to restrictions on driving hours they can’t make the money up from overtime.

It’s incredible an iconic company like Stobart’s has got into this situation, very sad for the employees of the company.

Was told this last week. They have over stretched themselves, bidding, and winning contracts with very little, if any, profit margin.

A couple of companies I know started the process to get rid of them a while ago. Wincanton were looking at buying them last month but pulled out. Coupled with a 2m book "loss" then it's not looking good.

A shame really as a few years ago they were second to none. Drivers very professional. If they had stuck to that they might have been ok but expanding into warehousing and the inherent costs involved seems to have done them in.

They also have a new centre being built in Warington costing 75m.

This news is all a bit weird though. In March they announced increased revenue and had a pre-tax profit of around 50m.

I manage the Tesla Motors account for Bosch in Europe and we ship and install the equipment needed in all their workshops, over 125 so far

We typically ship goods in three articulated vehicles in one large delivery and our carriage costs using German carriers are often criticised.. Tesla typically use Polish companies and they much cheaper

We asked them to ship a vehicle lift once and it arrived in Milton Keynes in a Transit with two Polish lads who had driven for a couple of days at least to drop it off.... We would have sent it as a part of a consolidated consignment with our carrier which would have been slower and more expensive....

The customer doesn't care how the part gets delivered generally or whether the driver has a tie on so it's definitely cut-throat

I manage the Tesla Motors account for Bosch in Europe and we ship and install the equipment needed in all their workshops, over 125 so far

We typically ship goods in three articulated vehicles in one large delivery and our carriage costs using German carriers are often criticised.. Tesla typically use Polish companies and they much cheaper

We asked them to ship a vehicle lift once and it arrived in Milton Keynes in a Transit with two Polish lads who had driven for a couple of days at least to drop it off.... We would have sent it as a part of a consolidated consignment with our carrier which would have been slower and more expensive....

The customer doesn't care how the part gets delivered generally or whether the driver has a tie on so it's definitely cut-throat
He will care when shipments get damaged or go missing though wont he?? The Government needs to crack down on this big time...

Last edited:
I operate at the very low end of the light haulage/courier business and it’s tight margins. Lots of pallet carriers out there and third party sites Coordinating very cheap transport often without the correct insurance and certainly without Goods in Transit cover. The knock on is Drivers are seeing their wages cut and due to restrictions on driving hours they can’t make the money up from overtime.

It’s incredible an iconic company like Stobart’s has got into this situation, very sad for the employees of the company.

I do too,you might be able to help me thinking about it,I'll PM you later

He will care when shipments get damaged or go missing though he?? The Government needs to crack down on this big time...
We use that as our defence, that we use reliable carriers who are there at short notice to deliver goods.. the issue is that the prices are not comparable and also my key contact at that point was Polish :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.