#31 | Ederson - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I chose to ignore the attempt to inflate Hendersons numbers by using u21 football, because it's a tad embarrassing to count childrens football and compare it with Ederson in the PL and Champions League.

You're correct the stats are publicly available. 17% of penalties are saved over a sample size of over 100,000 since 2009.

Penalties: Ultimate guidelines - InStat
Strange article you quote, it appears to have been written by statistician's studying football across the globe rather than elite football. There are some useful nuggets in the article but hidden by much irrelevance. Suggesting your zodiac sign may effect success seems bizarre!

As you say it suggests 17% is the average save within football worldwide generally. It should not be the target of our elite goalkeepers to achieve this figure!

The following article "How to save a penalty" https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/8a190a16-0a3f-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

Suggests a "25% average save rate across elite football" the German Transfermarkt, referred in the article website, provides detailed information on keepers individual save stats:
eg Alisson:

Apparently "Liverpool are one of a number of clubs to have started to use deep statistical analysis to devise strategies for penalties."

Prior to joining Liverpool Alisson saved 26% (4 from 15). Since joining Liverpool Alisson has saved 50% of his penalties (5 from 10).

Ederson:

Prior to joining City Ederson saved 14% (3 from 21). Since joining City Ederson has fallen to save only 12.5% of his penalties, (3 saves from 24).

I would suggest at our club, (trying to be the best in the world), our elite goalkeepers should be achieving above average penalty saves % between 25%-30+%.

Our coaching staff need to help our players improve our penalty performance, both in conversions and saves.

eg Alisson:

Apparently "Liverpool are one of a number of clubs to have started to use deep statistical analysis to devise strategies for penalties."

Prior to joining Liverpool Alisson saved 26% (4 from 15). Since joining Liverpool Alisson has saved 50% of his penalties (5 from 10).

Ederson:

Prior to joining City Ederson saved 14% (3 from 21). Since joining City Ederson has fallen to save only 12.5% of his penalties, (3 saves from 24).

I would suggest at our club, (trying to be the best in the world), our elite goalkeepers should be achieving above average penalty saves % between 25%-30+%.

Our coaching staff need to help our players improve our penalty performance, both in conversions and saves.
Why the fuck is that site saying Allison saved the penalties from Gundogan, Maupay, Mahrez and De Bruyne. They all missed the goal completely. That is not a save.

However in the case of Ederson he actually did save the penalty against Aubameyang, Mertens and Milivojevic.

Off the top of my head this season we have conceded against Vardy x2, Salah x2, Fernandes and Ward-Prowse. All very good penalty takers who rarely miss.

It is incredibly difficult to save penalties.

Why the fuck is that site saying Allison saved the penalties from Gundogan, Maupay, Mahrez and De Bruyne. They all missed the goal completely. That is not a save.

However in the case of Ederson he actually did save the penalty against Aubameyang, Mertens and Milivojevic.

Off the top of my head this season we have conceded against Vardy x2, Salah x2, Fernandes and Ward-Prowse. All very good penalty takers who rarely miss.

It is incredibly difficult to save penalties.

I suppose from the goalkeepers perspective, penalties are either converted/scored when it's a "non save" or they are missed/not scored when it's classified as a "save". Sometimes when a goalie may have a very good reputation for saving it can force the penalty taker to put it out of reach and miss the target. The object of the goalkeeper is to keep the ball from the back of the net. The goalkeeper is successful if it doesn't go in!

As a club we seem to find it difficult to put the penalties in the back of the net ;-)

I think it's a great sign that his critics have gone from claiming he's a poor shot stopper to claiming he doesn't save enough penalties.

It's become the only stick to beat him with and, to be fair, it's more like a twig.
All City fans want our club to be as successful as possible. We are getting to the business end of the season, where teams are likely to be stronger and silverware can be decided by fine margins such as scored or missed penalties.

IMO it's important to identify weaknesses so they can be addressed if possible. Ederson's rightly received praise for the things he's done well. Let's be balanced in our comments, it's not black and white, where we should not be allowed to mention any weakness.

All City fans want our club to be as successful as possible. We are getting to the business end of the season, where teams are likely to be stronger and silverware can be decided by fine margins such as scored or missed penalties.

IMO it's important to identify weaknesses so they can be addressed if possible. Ederson's rightly received praise for the things he's done well. Let's be balanced in our comments, it's not black and white, where we should not be allowed to mention any weakness.

You can mention whatever weaknesses you want, I'm not saying otherwise.

What I am saying (and this more than likely doesn't refer to you) is that there was a group of our supporters who accused him of being a poor shot stopper when we were conceding high quality chances and our results were suffering because of it.

Now, with us performing much better as a team, the only realistic criticism that can be levelled at him is his penalty save percentage.

This, to me, is definitely something that can be improved on but not really a big deal at all. As far as I'm concerned, as soon as one of our players loses concentration and sends the opposition tumbling in the box, we've conceded a goal. If the keeper saves it, it's a massive bonus but it's not something I'd expect and the blame goes on the defender for giving the penalty away.

I'd be interested to see how the proportion of Eddie's penalty saves percentage has changed since he's been here. It feels like he made a number fairly early in his time here, but dropped off since then.

Slight cause for concern, but I note that his overall save percentage has improved to help offset that.

Yeah statistically Ederson's gone from just below average to increasingly above it since he joined. This season he seems to have taken a big step up though.

He is still a relatively young keeper all things considered, so the only way is up from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.