#31 | Ederson - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbh, not that much surprised at Pickford's shotstopping rate. IMO, he's always had top reflexes, it's his handling that's the problem. There's a difference between palming the ball away from goal and palming the ball straight back at the player. Pickford (and Lloris too) to me is quite often guilty of the latter.

Do pardon me for hijacking the thread :)

Feels like he’s a little off form at the moment - he did make that great tackle but he must let in a very high proportion of shots on target? Surprised, given the policy to rest so many that he wasn’t rested too - as much a mental rest than physical

Feels like he’s a little off form at the moment - he did make that great tackle but he must let in a very high proportion of shots on target? Surprised, given the policy to rest so many that he wasn’t rested too - as much a mental rest than physical
That's more to do with the opposition not having as many shots and secondly when we do conceded a chance its usually them being totally unmarked and having all the time to pick their spot.

Can't have expected him to have saved any of the two goals today and as you said he made a phenomenal tackle that at the time kept us in it

That's more to do with the opposition not having as many shots and secondly when we do conceded a chance its usually them being totally unmarked and having all the time to pick their spot.

Can't have expected him to have saved any of the two goals today and as you said he made a phenomenal tackle that at the time kept us in it

He has a positional weakness in his game - mid range 1v1's and it's unfortunately getting exposed a lot.

It's worth following the thread to see the longer explanation but this is the bottom line - the way Ederson defends those 1v1's he has a 48% chance of saving them, and if he changed to the more effective method, it would be in the 90's and in line with this other shotstopping.

He has a positional weakness in his game - mid range 1v1's and it's unfortunately getting exposed a lot.

It's worth following the thread to see the longer explanation but this is the bottom line - the way Ederson defends those 1v1's he has a 48% chance of saving them, and if he changed to the more effective method, it would be in the 90's and in line with this other shotstopping.

Rubbish, close the space less of the goal to aim at, he wasn't at fault for either goal today, nit in the slightest

Rubbish, close the space less of the goal to aim at, he wasn't at fault for either goal today, nit in the slightest

You're wrong, and if you take 2 minutes to follow the link I posted you can educate yourself and stop being wrong.

It's not just an opinion piece, it's a statistical analysis based on going through every single 1v1 situation Ederson has faced and comparing it to every 1v1 situation in the league.

Edit- and the guy loves Ederson too, it's not a biased take, it's just pointing out the problem fairly.

Last edited:
domalino is correct on this. I don't know if it is a coaching issue though.
I wouldn't bet against it. Maybe I'm wrong here but I feel like he used to be a lot more committed to charging down attackers.

My optimism with this moving forwards is that his shotstopping has improved so much over the last couple of years that I won't rule out him fixing this issue too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.