Edin Dzeko announcement.

Blue_faith,

I can respect your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it.

But could you please explain to me how do you rationalize the statement that for a striker (which Dzeko is) "goals doesn't mean anything"? How can goals not mean most, much less anything when we are talking about a striker? Isn't a striker's main job to score?

I agree that Dzeko looks clanky and awkward on the field (probably because he's just too tall), especially next to short and well coordinated Tevez and Aguero - but he does score. How can you ignore that? Or yet better, why would you ignore that? Especially when for the past 18 months he has scored more often than any other City player per minute of play.

Shaelumstash said:
WimbledonRd said:
So now people who believe Dzeko is a more valuable City striker than Balo or Tevez or Aguero are fanatics?

Oh my! Shoot me now!

No.

But now you mention it, I would say anyone who thinks Dzeko is better than Aguero and Tevez is either a Dzeko fanatic / isn't being objective / has a personality disorder

Or Bosnian!!!

He will NEVER be a more valuable City striker than Balo or Tevez or Aguero

CityCTID said:
Shaelumstash said:
WimbledonRd said:
So now people who believe Dzeko is a more valuable City striker than Balo or Tevez or Aguero are fanatics?

Oh my! Shoot me now!

No.

But now you mention it, I would say anyone who thinks Dzeko is better than Aguero and Tevez is either a Dzeko fanatic / isn't being objective / has a personality disorder

Or Bosnian!!!

Disagree with that.

At the moment he's a lot more valuable than Mario.

Dzeko's a confidence player who was low on confidence. Within the game time he's been given recently he has been scoring and showing that he is getting back to the Dzeko we were seeing at the beginning of last season. He was unstoppable.

I always defended Mario when he first came and was getting a lot of stick, but now I've had enough.

Edin's a grafter unlike Mario.

So now suddenly I'm Bosnian based on the fact that I think that Balotelli is a total waste of time?

Great! I guess I can apply for Bosnian passport now! Thank you for teaching me about my heritage mate!

Sam. said:
CityCTID said:
Shaelumstash said:
No.

Or Bosnian!!!

Disagree with that.

Dzeko's a confidence player who was low on confidence. Within the game time he's been given recently he has been scoring and showing that he is getting back to the Dzeko we were seeing at the beginning of last season. He was unstoppable.

I always defended Mario when he first came and was getting a lot of stick, but now I've had enough.

We will just have to agree to disagree

CityCTID said:
Shaelumstash said:
WimbledonRd said:

Oh my! Shoot me now!

No.

Or Bosnian!!!

For 'Bosnian' read 'Dzeko fanatic'.

WimbledonRd said:
Blue_faith,

But could you please explain to me how do you rationalize the statement that for a striker (which Dzeko is) "goals doesn't mean anything"? How can goals not mean most, much less anything when we are talking about a striker? Isn't a striker's main job to score?

I agree that Dzeko looks clanky and awkward on the field (probably because he's just too tall), especially next to short and well coordinated Tevez and Aguero - but he does score. How can you ignore that? Or yet better, why would you ignore that? Especially when for the past 18 months he has scored more often than any other City player per minute of play.

He has got a very good record of goals per minute, no one is disputing that. But there is a lot more to it than that, the team rarely plays as well with him in the side.

Our worst performance of the season was against Dortmund, with him in the side. Our only 3 good performances of the season were the Charity Shield, Fulham and Sunderland and he didn't start in any of them. Of course that is not all down to him, but it's a recurring theme.

And contrary to an earlier poster, I don't think he is a grafter, in fact it's one of my major criticisms of him that when we don't have the ball he doesn't work hard enough to win it back. Seems like a lovely guy though.

CityCTID said:
Sam. said:
CityCTID said:
Or Bosnian!!!

Disagree with that.

We will just have to agree to disagree
Yet I see no acceptable reason to say Mario is more valuable than Edin

Shaelumstash said:
WimbledonRd said:
Blue_faith,

He has got a very good record of goals per minute, no one is disputing that. But there is a lot more to it than that, the team rarely plays as well with him in the side.

Our worst performance of the season was against Dortmund, with him in the side. Our only 3 good performances of the season were the Charity Shield, Fulham and Sunderland and he didn't start in any of them. Of course that is not all down to him, but it's a recurring theme.

And contrary to an earlier poster, I don't think he is a grafter, in fact it's one of my major criticisms of him that when we don't have the ball he doesn't work hard enough to win it back. Seems like a lovely guy though.

And yet in every matchday thread the exact opposite sentiment is expressed. Off the top of my head I recall Aguero's first game back where Edin was taken off around ~60', posters were livid that he was taken off and not Aguero. I'd even go as far as to say that, on current form, Dzeko and Tevez are our best partnership, followed by Dzeko-Aguero. Some might disagree, and that's normal -- thankfully I'm not the manager. The mere suggestion that this might be true though is met with unrivaled scorn by a handful of posters on here -- it's ludicrous. It's not like he hasn't proven his worth at Wolfsburg, the Champions League, and international competition. Not to mention that he scores goals for us, creates chances, gets assists, and has saved our asses more times than I can count. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read what others think.

Does anyone seriously think that our problem against Dortmund was the choice of strikers? Or is it possible that they are a very strong team that utilizes a style that is difficult for us to play against? Again in the matchday thread nobody said anything about Dzeko except that he needed to be given more quality passes. The main complaint was about our midfield, if I recall correctly.

I take a break from this forum and I return to a thread where Dzeko is being celebrated by the club only to see posts like "he isn't and never will be as good as any of our other strikers". To my eyes it just comes off as an irrational hatred by some fans, and I hope that's what it is (or rags trying to be deliberately provocative to start yet another argument). It's mind boggling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.