Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Edin Dzeko legend

noise said:
pudge said:
kalouk said:
Surely it is about goals. I don't see what the price of a footballer really brings to the argument, Michu was cheap does that make him a lesser footballer than Andy Carroll who was expensive? I still believe it is about what a player adds to our team and at the moment Dzeko is adding goals which are winning us games. It's the three points that count and as we know you don't get any more for how they were scored. I don't care if the goal is scored off one of our strikers arses as they tie their laces if it wins us 3 points.
If it's simply just about goals then tell me this;

Is 348 games, 145 goals and 18 assists good for a striker?

If so, how much would you reckon that striker would be worth for arguments sake?

It depends on who the goals are against. And if those goals contributed to any meaningful victories. Like for instance, winning PL or Bundesliga (or any other major league, Spain or Italy for instance).
Not really, if it's all about goals then it doesn't matter who they are against as long as the striker is scoring, surely?

Also, I'm addressing Kalouk, it's not your job to move the goalposts.

Yet even with the movement of the goalpost I can say that the striker in question finished as top scorer for his club the year they won promotion to the Premier league, surely that means the "contributed to any meaningful victories"?

I'll hold my hands up Pudge and say I don't know nor do I know about their value but as I said before I don't feel price always indicates talent some players will be bought for huge prices and never cut it (Torres) whilst others will be cheap and be a success (Ba). I would like to know your answers to the questions you asked.
My main argument about the negativity surrounding Dzeko is that at the moment he is providing what we need, what he is paid for and that still isn't enough now people are moving the goalposts and saying he isn't good enough because he isn't scoring in a certain way.

kalouk said:
I'll hold my hands up Pudge and say I don't know nor do I know about their value but as I said before I don't feel price always indicates talent some players will be bought for huge prices and never cut it (Torres) whilst others will be cheap and be a success (Ba). I would like to know your answers to the questions you asked.
My main argument about the negativity surrounding Dzeko is that at the moment he is providing what we need, what he is paid for and that still isn't enough now people are moving the goalposts and saying he isn't good enough because he isn't scoring in a certain way.
I'm not bringing up prices to knock Dzeko, but for perspective.

What I'm saying is why does a striker with the career stats I've provided not sell for the amount that strikers like Dzeko do?

You pay £20 odd million for a striker like Dzeko for more than scoring goals is my point.

If it was just about scoring goals there would be hundreds and hundreds of £20/30 million strikers

-- Feb 7th, '13, 01:57 --

Also, Dzeko averages a goal every 2.3 games career wise

The striker that I offered stats for scores one every 2.4 games career wise.

And they are both the same age

Yet striker B has been transferred on a free twice and sold for less than £1 million all together over the course of his career. Whilst currently playing in the premiership having scored double figures so far this season.

So the £20 million gap in their prices indicates that it is more than just scoring goals.

Also, I'm pretty sure we can all gather that striker B is Le Fondre lol

I suppose my answer would be that in my mind he was bought as an alternative to what we had for when we need to be more direct. We all know with his frame etc he was never going to play like Aguero it's not his style. I also think his price was based on his huge success at Wolfsburg which he was never going to replicate here because we don't play that way. Can I ask, other than scoring goals realistically what you feel he should be doing given our style of play etc not really being set up for him.

kalouk said:
I suppose my answer would be that in my mind he was bought as an alternative to what we had for when we need to be more direct. We all know with his frame etc he was never going to play like Aguero it's not his style. I also think his price was based on his huge success at Wolfsburg which he was never going to replicate here because we don't play that way. Can I ask, other than scoring goals realistically what you feel he should be doing given our style of play etc not really being set up for him.
Win knock ons, hold the ball up, hold off defenders.

For such a big lad he barely does the above on a regular basis, never mind over the course of 90 minutes.

Yes he scores goals, which is great and I'm grateful for all of them. But his overall game isn't as strong as it could and should be.

pudge said:
kalouk said:

For such a big lad he barely does the above on a regular basis, never mind over the course of 90 minutes.

Yes he scores goals, which is great and I'm grateful for all of them. But his overall game isn't as strong as it could and should be.
This is a myth. At the beginning of this season when Dzeko wasn't getting much play time, we had a particular weakness in play, which Mancini stated for the record multiple times. What was that weakness?

noise said:
pudge said:
kalouk said:

This is a myth. At the beginning of this season when Dzeko wasn't getting much play time, we had a particular weakness in play, which Mancini stated for the record multiple times. What was that weakness?
What's a myth?

Could you be any more vague with your posts?

pudge said:
noise said:
pudge said:

What's a myth?

The myth is that he just scores goals, and doesn't contribute in any other way. In fact he contributes more than most people realize. So what is the weakness Mancini adressed multiple times at the beginning of the season?

noise said:
pudge said:
noise said:
What's a myth?

The myth is that he just scores goals, and doesn't contribute in any other way. In fact he contributes more than most people realize. So what is the weakness Mancini adressed multiple times at the beginning of the season?
No, he doesn't contribute more than most people realize.

In fact, it says it all when you have to say "than MOST people"

The majority can see his overall game isn't what it should be. However, his ability to score goals has never been questioned.

And again with the vague comments, just say what you want to say already

Sorry I didn't see the second half of your earlier post. I understand your point about price but doesn't some of that come down to the club buying the best as an alternative but never really providing the tools for him to be at his best as we had another style in mind. I think most people agree our style isn't the best for him so it is a case of him trying to fit in with how we do it and please understand I am not saying we should change just for Dzeko. I don't think we are that far apart opinion wise, I'm just happy to see the ball in the back of the net you expect a bit more, I suppose I am just easier to please. I just feel that yes, he has faults but I think he has earnt a bit more respect than he sometimes gets on this thread.

Anyway I really enjoyed talking to you, it's nice to have a civilised conversation on this thread ;) Got to take the kids to school in the morning i'll be like a dead dog! Have a goodnight!.

p.s. and you too noise, I didn't realise you were still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.