EDS future opportunities and progression?

Pep & Co. need to thin out the ranks of the EDS quickly once they arrive so there's more progression for the likes of Campbell and Sancho.

He needs to get a good look at them and then decide which ones are going to make it and which need to be loaned out and sold.

Fortunately because of the Euro's I think he'll be doing that from day 1. The first thing he did at Bayern was teach the youth team players how to do his drills while the senior team was on holiday. Then he got the senior players to learn the drills off the kids.

Hopefully a similar situation will give him a good few weeks working with the kids and picking out the ones he thinks will be good enough.

I think the senior ranks need to be thinned out as well. Started a thread a year or so ago saying we need to cut back on senior players to create opportunities for kids to play.

I can understand if players have doubts on our commitment to bringing players through, and I think theres only so much talk without action you can take before you stop listening.

Seeing the U16 result today you really have to question how much the kids are getting out of games like that.

I think the senior ranks need to be thinned out as well. Started a thread a year or so ago saying we need to cut back on senior players to create opportunities for kids to play.

I can understand if players have doubts on our commitment to bringing players through, and I think theres only so much talk without action you can take before you stop listening.

Seeing the U16 result today you really have to question how much the kids are getting out of games like that.
Pep liked a smaller squad so if we lose some first team player, trim the EDS there should be chances there. I guess the U16 need chances of moving up a year group (16 to 18, 18 to EDS, some EDS) promoted. Having said that when we sign players at 16 you wonder if that helps the morale of the young players at the club.

There will be a lot of players who fall away. Even when we buy the best 16 year old players in the world, there is no guarantee they will be the best 23 year old players.
I would like to see more young players given extended opportunities in the first team but we are competing at the top echelons of world football now and that makes the relative gamble of young players harder to take.
I expect that a number of older first team players will be moved on this season and more opportunities given. We will buy top class but I hope and feel that some younger players will be given extended first team trials.

Many of the Arsenal kids we knocked out of the youth cup can't be found in the list of u18s on their website because they are actually Arse's u21 team. Imo that's probably the main reason we didn't beat them by a bigger margin. They are more used to playing v older players & that extra bit developed wheras our kids are just better at football.

True, but if you're playing with others in the youth system on a day to day basis, you would quickly become aware that there are players in your peer group and the groups around you who are more likely to make it than you are. You then leave and make noises about foreign players barring your route to the first team.

I defer to those who see more of the youth team than I do, but, despite the very promising prospects who excite us all, I don't see anyone who could displace any of our first team squad, even Bony. That doesn't mean I'm not excited, just that we need patience. I love what I am seeing of Fofana, for example, but he seems to have improved immensely since going to France. Timing is all important and rushing things to make a point would, in my view, be detrimental both to the player and the club.

Nobody knows if players can step up unless they get a chance. The rags may have had no choice in playing Rashford, but he has looked comfortable stepping up.

Unfortunately our best youth striker (Thierry Ambrose) has been out all season, but I am quite sure he could step up and take Bony's place if he was fit.

It's not about displacing anyone. They don't have to. They can just be added to the squad ; given a shot here & there, then the ones who look the part get more opportunities & eventually do become regulars. The ones who can't make an impact get loaned or moved on. This should have been happening for at least a year imo.

A year or so ago, for example, Brandon Barker was the absolute star of the team. Everyone else seems to have been given more chances than him. I would be surprised if he thinks they deserve it. In years gone by, he would have been thrown on against some knackered fullback & told to tear him up. If he succeeded he'd have 40k+ people roaring him on & would instantly move up a level & we'd have a new player. If he struggled, he'd just be sent back to the EDS for a while then tried again.

We should know a lot about him as a first team prospect by now, & have some idea what his chances are but we know nothing. Same with Kean Bryan etc.

completely agree. Imo angelino, bryan and barker all should have played first team football by now/ been on the bench more. I honestly think they would be really good for our team and be just as good as some other youngsters in the league - rashford ...... I'm hoping pep finally gives them a chance, because they aren't progressing at all right now stuck in the reserves

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.