Edward Francis

I think we have to accept that people see the Academy role differently, otherwise, the forum ends up with the same arguments cropping up for every single academy player, especially those who move on.

I have been a City fan since I was born in Moss Side in 1968. As a fan who is not used to success, any success is an incredible bonus to me; I will always be a fan, regardless of results. As a consequence, I like the idea of bringing Academy players into the fold and there are very few things I would like more than a local lad making it into the highest echelons of the European game, which is where we are now. In fact, I would be happy for the club to integrate more young players even if it meant that we were not so successful in all competitions, perhaps focussing the cup competitions on blooding 3-4 young players in every match, or certainly having one academy player on the bench and taking part in each PL game for more than the typical five to ten minutes.

Conversely, the board have said that they will not compromise the quality of the first team at any cost. This is at odds with my own opinion, but I have absolute respect for the board as they have given me a quality of football that I never believed I would see, and a quality of facility that is beyond anything I experienced before the takeover. They have an absolute right to direct the club in the way that they wish.

The club philosophy, therefore, demands that only the young players that they believe do not compromise on first team quality will be given a chance. I suspect we are therefore talking about a maximum of one to two at each age group. That means a lot of young players leaving us, and we have to accept it. We will make good money from them because they are generally of very high quality, just not quite good enough for us. We will also make some mistakes on the way and the media will crucify us for every one of those because it is valuable click bait driven by worldwide United support.

Of those coming through, obviously, Foden will make it. Behind him, we have some real quality in Garcia, Doyle and Nmecha where, I suspect others like Richards, who has quality, will not wait for his chance, and it may not come anyway.
Let's face it, hind sight is a wonderful thing bit I kinda agree. There are players we don't need in the squad that younger players could have covered the role they take up.

Delph, if we used him as a ferna back up in would say yes that's fine but he is a 2/3 lb. Angelino could have filled that role.
Danilo, there was nothing wrong having maffeo as a back up rb.
Gundogan, again lovely player but foden could do his job. Having said that he can play the ferna role so until fernas apprentice/replacement comes then we need him.
Mahrez, did we need him? Clubs biggest transfer but what does he bring. Sancho and brahim easily could have rotated these positions plus bernado could play rw.
Bravo, he has been terrible apart from a good cup run but Angus Gunn could easily have took that role.
Zinchenko, I like him, he's hungry and willing to play any position without caring. The right age but he needs to develop a position.

Like I said hindsight is a wonderful thing but we have had the players who would have been backups in a rotation role. If we promised sancho a guaranteed 15-20 games this season would he have left? Who knows, but if you think you SHOULD be a guaranteed starter at 17/18/19 Years old then this ain't the club for you. We have very professional 1st teamers who have worked for where they are and unfortunately our kids have to do the same like foden is prepared too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.