Electric cars

GM did a study in America where they found that 80% of daily commutes were 40 miles or under. That’s 80% of the population of about 200M adults.

Some people drive considerably longer distances and need hauling capacity, which is much easier to achieve in a diesel/petroleum powered vehicle over longer distances. So be it...don’t get an EV.

However, just because the technology is new, and we have got used to living by burning dinosaur remains for about a century, doesn’t mean there are not large swaths of society for whom an EV should be a no brainer.

View attachment 14036
And, please don’t tell me you have to be stinking rich to own/run one! These are two I recently looked at as a 3rd car now we have 4 adults in the house.

We currently have a 2013 Volt (Ampera) with 110,000 miles and not a hiccup. TWO...YES, TWO oil changes on the ICE back up in 110,000 miles, as dictated by the cars onboard computer. It gets about 30 miles of EV in the harsh Chicago winter, and about 50 miles in the warm summers. We plug it into a REGULAR HOUSEHOLD SOCKET in the garage, where it recharges at about 4 MPH...or a full charge from drained battery overnight. That costs about $1.00-1.50 depending upon electricity rates/demand.

The Volt (with a V) was the precursor to the Bolt (with a B) pictured above. The battery tech is proven and just larger in the Bolt, but then they had a lot of room when they took out the ICE equipment in the Volt! The Bolt is about the same size as a BMW i3.

Now, have I checked on how much the kids that mine lithium get paid, or the cost of cobalt recently? No. But, I do know the USA has the largest military budget in the world to help keep the flow of oil passing through the Gulf and to the places (allies) that need it, and that ain’t cheap, either!
Congratulations on living in America then, the land of the free (as long as you're well off and not black).

Here in little old blighty, second hand electric cars are few and far between. New electric cars start at around £30,000 and if you live in a terrace house (the most prevalent house possibly?) with no off road parking and the chance of a charger then you're most probably stuffed.

Last edited:
Congratulations in living in America then, the land of the free (as long as you're well off and not black).

Here in little old blighty, second hand electric cars are few and far between. New electric cars start at around £30,000 and if you live in a terrace house (the most prevalent house possibly?) with no off road parking and the chance of a charger then you're most probably stuffed.
Welcome to 1975!

GM did a study in America where they found that 80% of daily commutes were 40 miles or under. That’s 80% of the population of about 200M adults.

Some people drive considerably longer distances and need hauling capacity, which is much easier to achieve in a diesel/petroleum powered vehicle over longer distances. So be it...don’t get an EV.

However, just because the technology is new, and we have got used to living by burning dinosaur remains for about a century, doesn’t mean there are not large swaths of society for whom an EV should be a no brainer.

View attachment 14036
And, please don’t tell me you have to be stinking rich to own/run one! These are two I recently looked at as a 3rd car now we have 4 adults in the house.

We currently have a 2013 Volt (Ampera) with 110,000 miles and not a hiccup. TWO...YES, TWO oil changes on the ICE back up in 110,000 miles, as dictated by the cars onboard computer. It gets about 30 miles of EV in the harsh Chicago winter, and about 50 miles in the warm summers. We plug it into a REGULAR HOUSEHOLD SOCKET in the garage, where it recharges at about 4 MPH...or a full charge from drained battery overnight. That costs about $1.00-1.50 depending upon electricity rates/demand.

The Volt (with a V) was the precursor to the Bolt (with a B) pictured above. The battery tech is proven and just larger in the Bolt, but then they had a lot of room when they took out the ICE equipment in the Volt! The Bolt is about the same size as a BMW i3.

Now, have I checked on how much the kids that mine lithium get paid, or the cost of cobalt recently? No. But, I do know the USA has the largest military budget in the world to help keep the flow of oil passing through the Gulf and to the places (allies) that need it, and that ain’t cheap, either!
Governments who try to pick winners don't last long CB . there is room for both and the market will determine the relative merits of both in the decades to come.

Government should stand aside and let the market get on with supplying the energy needs of citizens.

Oil , gas etc will be around for many decades to come , new gas fields being found all the time to be used with new coal fired power plants being built throughout the world with approx 50 years of lifetime before the become too old to operate effectively much like the Homo sapien ( albeit many are not that wise ).

I am 60 pus and given good health will drive an ICE until my eyesight or health doesn't allow me to and like wise will my children and most likely my grandchildren as well.

Remember watching an interview where the guy said he drove a 35 year old car, the amount of fossil fuel burnt to build a new car far outweighs what it does to keep his on the road, you see fields full of unsold cars because they have to churn them out to keep jobs. Once the reliance on cars drops then you may see a change.

Remember watching an interview where the guy said he drove a 35 year old car, the amount of fossil fuel burnt to build a new car far outweighs what it does to keep his on the road, you see fields full of unsold cars because they have to churn them out to keep jobs. Once the reliance on cars drops then you may see a change.
Fair point and this applies to all cars of all types including EV's.

View attachment 14036

Good post thanks. It's interesting to hear about the second hand market side of things.

I didn't include range in my worst things about EVs because I thought the vast majority of journeys would be achievable. In the UK I suspect that percentage would be even higher due to the smaller size of the UK.

Still what happens if you want a last minute trip to the seaside 150 miles away or one of your family gets ill on the other side of the country?Would be a ball ache knowing you'd either have to either A - Take ages to get there by charging on the way plus all the planning that would involve. B - Get shafted having to rent a car last minute. Cars without the freedom to go anywhere, anytime just seems like a bit of an alien concept.

When you consider that lot above then suddenly the price of an EV still looks way too high for the majority of people. You can get a nice second hand car for £13k in the UK (even relatively new premium brands like Audi, BMW etc) for the equivalent of that cheapest EV.

Last edited:
If that has some meaning to you then it's totally lost on me bud.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–1975_recession

You sound so full of doom and gloom!

Turn off Pulp’s “Common People” and put on Republica’s “Ready To Go” if you have to be stuck in the past!

And, I guess there ARE some things hood about America, after all.

Be well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–1975_recession

You sound so full of doom and gloom!

Turn off Pulp’s “Common People” and put on Republica’s “Ready To Go” if you have to be stuck in the past!

And, I guess there ARE some things hood about America, after all.

Be well.
You know, I've still not got a clue what you're waffling on about.

Governments who try to pick winners don't last long CB . there is room for both and the market will determine the relative merits of both in the decades to come.

Government should stand aside and let the market get on with supplying the energy needs of citizens.

Oil , gas etc will be around for many decades to come , new gas fields being found all the time to be used with new coal fired power plants being built throughout the world with approx 50 years of lifetime before the become too old to operate effectively much like the Homo sapien ( albeit many are not that wise ).

I am 60 pus and given good health will drive an ICE until my eyesight or health doesn't allow me to and like wise will my children and most likely my grandchildren as well.
Government isn’t picking winners, it is investing in the infrastructure of tomorrow and subsidizing emerging technology, in the hope of cleaner air, technological advances, and the future of that technology to improve our lives in ways we have yet to imagine...just like CORPORATE R&D.

The market will dictate when the tipping point has been realized, just as demand will help set their price.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.