Electric cars

Re the terrace house charging conundrum, could some sort of swing out/ telescopic overhead gantry not be used? This would keep the wires off the pavement/ road.
The wire would also have to be vandal proof.
You’d want all your neighbours to have it thechance of parking in front of your own house is usually pretty slim.

Government isn’t picking winners, it is investing in the infrastructure of tomorrow and subsidizing emerging technology, in the hope of cleaner air, technological advances, and the future of that technology to improve our lives in ways we have yet to imagine...just like CORPORATE R&D.

The market will dictate when the tipping point has been realized, just as demand will help set their price.
Hope springs eternal CB.

Agree with Corporate R&D but too much duplication of effort with poor outcomes when too much government interference rules to roost.

Yes step in when the market fails but otherwise step aside a least for some ticket items.

What we need in OZ is an assurance we have enough fuel in the supply chain stored on our shores for more than 20 days we currently have and to do that we should go back to producing , making and be less reliant on those chains especially from the US as we were 40 years ago.

Currently we don't have that assurance.

Every time government at least our Governments meddle with platforms like the NBN , Energy requirements submarine procurement etc no matter which persuasion what results is a lot of money wasted that could be better spent on lifting unemployment , poverty rates , the massive imbalance between the indigenous and non- indigenous living standards , reducing crime , reducing drug dependence , better education outcomes , better health outcomes , aged care , disability care , and the list goes on.

if you plough taxpayer money into wind and solar a novel idea per say but do so by investing at the expense of jobs that cannot be replaced and by jobs I mean hundreds of thousands of jobs that have merit , purpose , dignity , longevity and feeds families then I am not for it and prefer the private sector to do the hard yards and give the nation the blueprint for transition.

Covid saw a significant transition from private sector jobs to the public sector in this country and while the balance will tilt back again in the coming years as we are massively over governed in this country.

3 levels for 25 million and covid highlighted how poor that level of governance is.

You cannot even get an answer from agencies after 27 months why a serial violent criminal that should be in jail is still allowed to operate in an industry whereby he under law within the judicial system and the laws that govern industry conduct whereby his presence continues to place the public at risk because of too much governance at too many levels.

Lawmakers and enforcers of the law allow this situation to continue adnauseum.

The prime minister in 1990 had 5 staff to support him now he has 55 and all that has changed is the media cycle.

We have to address major reforms in education in this country because the more money government plough into education the dumber the outcomes so the innovation and technological advances you speak of will have to come from smarter countries than ours.

Our best brains continually get head hunted and leave our shores especially in technology.

Every
Hope springs eternal CB.

Agree with Corporate R&D but too much duplication of effort with poor outcomes when too much government interference rules to roost.

Yes step in when the market fails but otherwise step aside a least for some ticket items.

What we need in OZ is an assurance we have enough fuel in the supply chain stored on our shores for more than 20 days we currently have and to do that we should go back to producing , making and be less reliant on those chains especially from the US as we were 40 years ago.

Currently we don't have that assurance.

Every time government at least our Governments meddle with platforms like the NBN , Energy requirements submarine procurement etc no matter which persuasion what results is a lot of money wasted that could be better spent on lifting unemployment , poverty rates , the massive imbalance between the indigenous and non- indigenous living standards , reducing crime , reducing drug dependence , better education outcomes , better health outcomes , aged care , disability care , and the list goes on.

if you plough taxpayer money into wind and solar a novel idea per say but do so by investing at the expense of jobs that cannot be replaced and by jobs I mean hundreds of thousands of jobs that have merit , purpose , dignity , longevity and feeds families then I am not for it and prefer the private sector to do the hard yards and give the nation the blueprint for transition.

Covid saw a significant transition from private sector jobs to the public sector in this country and while the balance will tilt back again in the coming years as we are massively over governed in this country.

3 levels for 25 million and covid highlighted how poor that level of governance is.

You cannot even get an answer from agencies after 27 months why a serial violent criminal that should be in jail is still allowed to operate in an industry whereby he under law within the judicial system and the laws that govern industry conduct whereby his presence continues to place the public at risk because of too much governance at too many levels.

Lawmakers and enforcers of the law allow this situation to continue adnauseum.

The prime minister in 1990 had 5 staff to support him now he has 55 and all that has changed is the media cycle.

We have to address major reforms in education in this country because the more money government plough into education the dumber the outcomes so the innovation and technological advances you speak of will have to come from smarter countries than ours.

Our best brains continually get head hunted and leave our shores especially in technology.
Each locale has its own unique challenges, none more so than those separated by large oceans and distant trade routes.

Self sufficiency is a worthy investment goal for Oz, but the fact that a country that bakes for most of the year isn’t literally running on solar power...including their urban car infrastructure...is astounding and seems (from a distance) short-sighted.

Good luck to us all!

Every

Each locale has its own unique challenges, none more so than those separated by large oceans and distant trade routes.

Self sufficiency is a worthy investment goal for Oz, but the fact that a country that bakes for most of the year isn’t literally running on solar power...including their urban car infrastructure...is astounding and seems (from a distance) short-sighted.

Good luck to us all!
It doesn't bake for most of the year CB but that is not the reason why 80 per cent of energy needs are powered by burning fossil fuels.

We are a land of floods and droughts and cyclones and freezing temperatures in vast parts of out lands and where 80 per cent of the population live we have more days of clouds than sunshine.

Where I live in Melbourne that has 25 per cent of Australia's population the temperature falls from 40 degrees to 18 degrees on a weekly basis throughout the summer months.

The number of 40 degree plus days in Melbourne is on the decline which is a good thing for reducing the household carbon footprint.

if Australia wants to get serious about this net zero by 2050 rubbish I keep hearing in the press across the globe to save the planet from frying by 2100 albeit Gore said back in 1980 half of California would be under water by now and the Artic Ice would melt and be a thing of the past and our Chief Political Scientist Tim Flannery said NSW would receive no rainfall by 2015 in 1995 and the snow season in Australia was a thing of the past , WE HAVE TO PUT NUCLEAR ON THE TABLE.

Our coal exports to China and many other countries like Japan , Indonesia , Korea , India ( don't forget the population of China and India total almost 3 billion).

Gas , Coal has a long term future in Australia we have the cleanest coal , the best coal to bring China , India , Africa and South America to a better standard of living and the benefits to the world that flow on from that.

We also have the about a third of the worlds known uranium resources.

The only thing that is astounding is we don't use it to our advantage to obtain self sufficiency.

All our solar panels and wind turbines most of which are shit quality and we don't know what to do with them other than bury them in the desert or throw them in land fill once they go array come form China made in part by burning the fuel they get from us (LOL).

Today we travelled to the Debenham bun fight as boohoo attempted clearance of stock rails. With watery eyes we acceded those hallowed escalators for the last time taking in the piss poor debauchery that lay below us and as Dylan once said The Times They Are A Changing.

I guess it's the same with our energy resources as we come to the realization that our earth isn't a bottomless pit. The good thing to come out of this day is that we saved money not buying into Boo's dream, deciding to leave his stock shelved for the zombification of the masses.

I felt a tinge of sadness for all the wonderful staff and management at Bury HQ as we departed that outfitters for the very last time. In my minds eye they all waved us off into obscurity with tear stained crinoline kerchiefs .. but in reality no one gave a flying fook we'd gone : /

Thank the good Lord our fuel costs were free married with a free five hours free parking session. You see you don't pay in Little Bury if your a greenie, but try to keep that to yourselves as it's not mentioned on the car park hoardings.

Total spend

Two costa lattes @ 50p each
Two cajan chicken seeded rolls @ circa £1.50 munched in the church grounds
Four Flakes for a pound @Wilko to maintain energy levels for the prolonged trot round bear-grills country park.

Life is dust in the wind plus a pound of electrons.

It doesn't bake for most of the year CB but that is not the reason why 80 per cent of energy needs are powered by burning fossil fuels.

We are a land of floods and droughts and cyclones and freezing temperatures in vast parts of out lands and where 80 per cent of the population live we have more days of clouds than sunshine.

Where I live in Melbourne that has 25 per cent of Australia's population the temperature falls from 40 degrees to 18 degrees on a weekly basis throughout the summer months.

The number of 40 degree plus days in Melbourne is on the decline which is a good thing for reducing the household carbon footprint.

if Australia wants to get serious about this net zero by 2050 rubbish I keep hearing in the press across the globe to save the planet from frying by 2100 albeit Gore said back in 1980 half of California would be under water by now and the Artic Ice would melt and be a thing of the past and our Chief Political Scientist Tim Flannery said NSW would receive no rainfall by 2015 in 1995 and the snow season in Australia was a thing of the past , WE HAVE TO PUT NUCLEAR ON THE TABLE.

Our coal exports to China and many other countries like Japan , Indonesia , Korea , India ( don't forget the population of China and India total almost 3 billion).

Gas , Coal has a long term future in Australia we have the cleanest coal , the best coal to bring China , India , Africa and South America to a better standard of living and the benefits to the world that flow on from that.

We also have the about a third of the worlds known uranium resources.

The only thing that is astounding is we don't use it to our advantage to obtain self sufficiency.

All our solar panels and wind turbines most of which are shit quality and we don't know what to do with them other than bury them in the desert or throw them in land fill once they go array come form China made in part by burning the fuel they get from us (LOL).
Sounds like you have your head wrapped around the issue.

I’ve always been a proponent of Nuclear Energy, but NIMBY rules the day, and safety/environmental costs of building have become astronomical.

Sounds like you have your head wrapped around the issue.

I’ve always been a proponent of Nuclear Energy, but NIMBY rules the day, and safety/environmental costs of building have become astronomical.
Yes can't argue with that but no need for the massive transmission costs to get everything to the grid.

We could have gone nuclear many years ago but the political will wasn't around and still isn't.

Big fan of solar myself if we could solve the lithium scenario and disposal situation cheaply and friendly and efficiently provided the jobs of tomorrow are real that they replace and this will take generations to achieve especially in NSW and QLD.

Need a whole new NBN equivalent for phase 3 power to make it happen extremely difficult in country like Australia to make this a reality.

As you say waiting for technological advances that can make this happen.

I hope sodium becomes the norm in time not a fan of lithium batteries in EV.

Ideally 60 per cent nuclear 20 per cent renewable 20 per cent bio / hydrogen / gas by 2100 but I think we will have to go 60 per cent renewable which will price many businesses out of business unfortunately.

Yes can't argue with that but no need for the massive transmission costs to get everything to the grid.

We could have gone nuclear many years ago but the political will wasn't around and still isn't.

Big fan of solar myself if we could solve the lithium scenario and disposal situation cheaply and friendly and efficiently provided the jobs of tomorrow are real that they replace and this will take generations to achieve especially in NSW and QLD.

Need a whole new NBN equivalent for phase 3 power to make it happen extremely difficult in country like Australia to make this a reality.

As you say waiting for technological advances that can make this happen.

I hope sodium becomes the norm in time not a fan of lithium batteries in EV.

Ideally 60 per cent nuclear 20 per cent renewable 20 per cent bio / hydrogen / gas by 2100 but I think we will have to go 60 per cent renewable which will price many businesses out of business unfortunately.
Do you not think that IF the doomsday scenarios don’t materialize, there will be some middle ground that will appease all sides? Some level of choice that enablers everyone to win?

Again, only if the science shows the things are not deteriorating or occurring at the pace policy makers once believed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.