Electric cars

Why wouldn’t an electric car do a 320 mile trip? I mean never in my life have I driven 320 miles without wanting to stop, have a pee, grab something to drink and eat. The worst case scenario is you stopping for 30 mins to charge when you might have only wanted to stop for 15 mins. Is it really the end of the world?

as I posted earlier I witnessed a driver waiting about 90 mins just to get on a charge point because there was a queue. I can fill up a fossil fuelled car in 10 minutes. The 320 mile journey takes anything from 7 to 8 hours.....why would I want to add a couple of hours to that?

Let the market determine whether someone wishes to buy one and let private industry and the consumer dictate the roll out rate and necessary infrastructure needed to support them.

Governments using tax payer money to assist in their role out will mean those that don't want one or cannot afford one will mean those in that category are paying corporates in effect to do what they want and if that is to be the case then listed companies involved in the roll out should give everyone free shares of equivalent value in their company to compensate them.

then we shall see how much government wants to play favourites with the motor vehicle industry.

How they will claw back the money they lose in fuel tax will be to introduce new taxes that disadvantage individuals that can least afford it and in that case for those that choose for a variety of reasons not to have an electric car their fuel tax should be abolished.

All governments throughout the world should remember it was jet fuel that will save the lives of some of the ex pats , citizens and refugees that survive the mess in Afghanistan.

as I posted earlier I witnessed a driver waiting about 90 mins just to get on a charge point because there was a queue. I can fill up a fossil fuelled car in 10 minutes. The 320 mile journey takes anything from 7 to 8 hours.....why would I want to add a couple of hours to that?

I’ve never experienced that. Granted I don’t tend to drive long distance much but when I have my sat nav tells me where to charge on route to my destination, it’s linked to live updates on availability of charge points, so I’ve literally never had to wait.

Use zap map, have an A and a B Plan for your charging stop. Simple.

Use zap map, have an A and a B Plan for your charging stop. Simple.

Two weeks from now I drive to Bournemouth on holiday - 320 miles - I fill my Dacia Duster 1.5dci up the night before - takes 10 mins. When I get there I will have enough fuel to drive around for 2 or 3 days before filling up again ( again 10 mins ) then do a splash and dash before coming home. My charging plan for A - to - B is drive from A - to -B without stopping - there is no escaping the fact that even with zap map I can add an hour or more to a journey thats already possibly 7 hours long.

Battery powered EV's in their present form with the present infrastructure are not the answer. If you were to get 30% of the UK's cars to change to pure EV's that 11m EV's. For them to be viable they have to be able to fully recharge in 15mins or less and have access to around the same number of charge points all over the UK road network. From what I can see on zap map there are fewer than 5k fast charge points in the UK right now and from what I can find there are fewer than 100l BEV's - the vast majority in the South East - can guess why that is.

Why wouldn’t an electric car do a 320 mile trip? I mean never in my life have I driven 320 miles without wanting to stop, have a pee, grab something to drink and eat. The worst case scenario is you stopping for 30 mins to charge when you might have only wanted to stop for 15 mins. Is it really the end of the world?
No it absolutely isn’t… Drove a BMW i3s for 18 months and loved every moment of the experience.. it’s a much more relaxed way of driving and cost 1/3 of the cost of running the previous Mercedes Diesel

I have done it often - North Yorks to Bristol/Cardiff/Edinburgh/Glasgow and back in a day for work - long long journeys that really do not need extending by long waits for a charge point and a long time to re-charge. I am not anti EV per-se I just say at the moment in their present format they are not the answer

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.