Electric cars

Electric cars ffs. The initial cost is horrendous. Fine if your not paying for it granted.
Worrying about range, planning journeys around charging points etc. Fuck that, cars are supposed to be a convenient mode of transport. Jump in and go.
Just another money making scam to encourage us to spend money on something not needed.
Until batteries become standardised and swappable in 2 minutes at a filling station, electric cars will be a red herring bought by the gullible.
They are nothing new, electric cars were being made in the 1920's
Range? Guess what, approx 100 miles. A massive con

Electric cars ffs. The initial cost is horrendous. Fine if your not paying for it granted.
Worrying about range, planning journeys around charging points etc. Fuck that, cars are supposed to be a convenient mode of transport. Jump in and go.
Just another money making scam to encourage us to spend money on something not needed.
Until batteries become standardised and swappable in 2 minutes at a filling station, electric cars will be a red herring bought by the gullible.
Total bollocks but we’re all entitled to an opinion

Does anyone watch "Fully charged" on Youtube with Robert Llewelyn from Red Dwarf?

Can highly recommend

I do. And enjoy it to know what's happening in the electric car market.

But really they're only for middle class homeowners with more than one car.

The electric car is their little runaround toy for short trips around town. You need a house otherwise you'll be either paying mega money for the private charging points which is a confusing mess of providers or you'll be spending hours and hours using the free ones.

*Or the rich if you can afford a car with big range like the Model 3, S etc that is actually more practical for everyday use.

They're a long way off being the best option for convenience for the majority of people.

Does it work?
What's the MPG like?

A few years ago a lad I worked with took a Lexus CT as a company car purely because the tax was so low
Even though he did quite a few motorway miles and it was a 2ltr petrol hybrid, he was still getting close to 80MPG
Have only just ordered it, so no idea yet.
Not so good on the benefit in kind though
It's going to be about £120 a month less tax. A much higher spec level than the choice of BMW/Audi usual suspects on her list, plus as an estate ideal for transporting our two Springers (Pep and Daisy) so winner for us really.

Well, there's more charging points than petrol stations in the UK now... awkward.

Electric cars are nothing new no. Do you know why they didn't take off? Have a watch of the documentary Who Killed The Electric Car. LA also had the most efficient and vast public transport service in the world back in the 40/50s. Now you can't move in that city without a car. Another example of the vehicle and petrol companies killing off rival industry! Point being, not everything fails because it's not efficient.

If someone said to you they had designed a new product that could transport you from A to B yet it would require said product to pump out dangerous poisonous gas into the air, we'd all be like "well no thanks." Electric cars are the future and the price will absolutely come down once manufacturing costs lower and battery life increases and becomes cheaper. Two things that will 100% happen.

I do. And enjoy it to know what's happening in the electric car market.

But really they're only for middle class homeowners with more than one car.

The electric car is their little runaround toy for short trips around town. You need a house otherwise you'll be either paying mega money for the private charging points which is a confusing mess of providers or you'll be spending hours and hours using the free ones.

*Or the rich if you can afford a car with big range like the Model 3, S etc that is actually more practical for everyday use.

They're a long way off being the best option for convenience for the majority of people.

You're right to a point but the E208 is about £25k new. That has a range of 200 miles.

I reckon in 3 years you'll see decent electric cars for around 20k. More and more people will buy them. Sales of electric cars will probably outstrip petrol in 3-5 years too.

dont think battery power is the future , they are not eco friendly as marketed . suspect in next few years some form of hydro fuel cell will be developed that splits water into hydrogen and oxygen so you will just fill up with water . Saw a clockwork car demonstrated a few years ago that had a range of 40 miles don't know if it's been developed any further

I've had a hybrid for a couple of years now. For pottering around, say around 40-50 miles a day, like now under lockdown I rarely go further than that, it's great.

But for anything approaching longer distances it's a false economy. Do not rely on being able to charge wherever you think there may be a charging point. They're not always free, often taken or broken, and there are even different types of charging connector between European, american and japanese cars. A mine field, and paying for the adaptors negates any saving on fuel. Even the fast charging cable was an added extra with mine so I'm stuck with the basic 3 pin plug charger via the mains, which ironically they say shouldn't be used normally. You can get a grant for having a home charger installed, but it still comes in at over £500.

The real issue is that, for mine at least, they whacked in the battery at the expense of the fuel tank, so I have a smaller fuel tank for unleaded for the sake of a battery which can do 30 miles at most from fully charged.

The whole infrastructure of the uk woud need to change to make electric vehicles a realistic solution, let alone the battery technology itself. But there are things in the works, I know for sure. Better batteries, wireless charging, all possibilities but not yet viable on large scale.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.