Electric cars

BMW will be adding a whopping £10k to the cost of their basic i3 model come Jan 01st next year. It's a great car but how prohibitive is that for families wanting to go electric/green! I've got a family of four and a dog, so even that would be too small, so on the lookout for an estate that could cope with European travels. What am I looking at, £50k? Might as well spend a quarter of that in the 2nd hand market and get a decent petrol model for five years or so. As much as I'd like to 'help the planet', financially it isn't feasible.
That’s the new larger “I” version surely? I wasn’t aware that the i3 was going up... it’s already top dollar but a superb car.

It’s farcical also that an EV which is over the £40k threshold falls into the higher tax category so the company i3s I drove for two years (absolutely superb) was circa £400 per year in road tax... farcical because it was super economical and clearly not a gas guzzling Chelsea Tractor

Last edited:
That’s the new larger “I” version surely? I wasn’t aware that the i3 was going up... it’s already top dollar but a superb car.

It’s farcical also that an EV which is over the £40k threshold falls into the higher tax category so the company i3s I drove for two years (absolutely superb) was circa £400 per year in road tax... farcical because it was super economical and clearly not a gas guzzling Chelsea Tractor
The road fund licence fee is an interesting subject. At the moment it's based on emissions I believe? Some cars are zero. What happens when all cars are zero emissions, no revenue? Raises some questions I think.
No wonder they are looking at pay per mile.

The road fund licence fee is an interesting subject. At the moment it's based on emissions I believe? Some cars are zero. What happens when all cars are zero emissions, no revenue? Raises some questions I think.
Pretty ironic when you consider that the tax incentives are to get people into vehicles that pollute less than others...

As I said, price is also a factor regardless of emissions and the loss of revenue from fossil based fuels is a factor that governments will need to consider as you say.

Even now i could charge an EV relatively cheaply (free eventually once costs had been reclaimed) by using solar so in reality I would be penalised with a pence per mile rate but time will tell how they work it

Slightly off piste, what’s the take on hydrogen powered vehicles?
Or is it more feasible to think of nuclear power (however the hell that would work!)

I don’t understand this, electric cars are exempt from road tax aren’t they?

Slightly off piste, what’s the take on hydrogen powered vehicles?
Or is it more feasible to think of nuclear power (however the hell that would work!)

Hydrogen cars at present are far too expensive to mass produce. Until someone figures out how to utilise the fuel and make it cost effective, electric will be king in the alternative car world.

Hydrogen has the potential to be one of the cleanest power source for cars though.

BMW will be adding a whopping £10k to the cost of their basic i3 model come Jan 01st next year. It's a great car but how prohibitive is that for families wanting to go electric/green! I've got a family of four and a dog, so even that would be too small, so on the lookout for an estate that could cope with European travels. What am I looking at, £50k? Might as well spend a quarter of that in the 2nd hand market and get a decent petrol model for five years or so. As much as I'd like to 'help the planet', financially it isn't feasible.

I have driven this on many occasion and is mostly a pleasure with it's fast acceleration but it's no family car. Very basic inside, the tyres are quite thin which restricts your speed on the motorway, feels like it will flip above 70mph.

As I've previously stated, driving will be a luxury if we proceed with Carrie Symonds' sorry I mean the govt's current target.

Hydrogen cars at present are far too expensive to mass produce. Until someone figures out how to utilise the fuel and make it cost effective, electric will be king in the alternative car world.

Hydrogen has the potential to be one of the cleanest power source for cars though.
Thanks. You hear talk of course, but the reality is often different.
I suspect petrol/diesel will be seen as 'alternative' soon enough too.

There's a bit of a broom cupboard at HMT with one occupant whose sole purpose is to run across to Downing Street with the latest spiffing tax wheeze he's dreamt up!.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.