Electric cars

I have done it often - North Yorks to Bristol/Cardiff/Edinburgh/Glasgow and back in a day for work - long long journeys that really do not need extending by long waits for a charge point and a long time to re-charge. I am not anti EV per-se I just say at the moment in their present format they are not the answer

This is an issue that affects a minority of journeys and drivers.

This is an issue that affects a minority of journeys and drivers.

I worked with 60 people who did it every day. I know loads of people who still do it now I am retired. EV's will increase costs to British business - good cover for Brexit damage I suppose

I worked with 60 people who did it every day. I know loads of people who still do it now I am retired. EV's will increase costs to British business - good cover for Brexit damage I suppose

Yet they are still the minority.

And the question should be asked, why are people making such long journeys?

Unless you are in transport etc you shouldn't be making these journeys every day.

If you are in a job that can be done remotely and closer to home, then you should do that more. If you are in a job and have chosen to live far away from your place of work then that's your choice. I appreciate there may be other concerns such as accommodation costs but not at the same distance you are talking about. And those issues need to be addressed, but fact is we shouldn't be wasting resources on these types of non-essential journeys.

There is a bigger issue than the one you point out.

I was in insurance claims - things like that fire today in Leamington Spa. Its hard to get them to bring the debris to me I have to go to it.

We had an engineering arm who certified things like lifts ( needed every 6 to 12 months ) and pressure test boilers for insurance approval services - again hard to get a distillery to bring its pressure vessels to a guy in Reading from Jura.

We had people all over the country but like most of these specialities its an ageing workforce thats thinning out through normal wastage and believe me the people who are qualified can't be on the doorstep of every call they have to make.

Some clients want salesmen to pitch F2F not on a Zoom call - some firms need to demonstrate what they do to a client on a premises visit - particularly if you are offering a new unique manufacturing process.

Staycations. To go on a camping holiday from Carlisle to Cornwall means you have to drive. There are numerous reasons why those journeys will need to be made and if the economy is to reopen there will be more and more. That survey you posted did say it was updated in April 2020 so my guess is that the average will be even lower now but the reason for that is not a reason for why EV's are the answer

Yet they are still the minority.

Unless you are in transport etc you shouldn't be making these journeys every day.

If you are in a job that can be done remotely and closer to home, then you should do that more. If you are in a job and have chosen to live far away from your place of work then that's your choice. I appreciate there may be other concerns such as accommodation costs but not at the same distance you are talking about. And those issues need to be addressed, but fact is we shouldn't be wasting resources on these types of non-essential journeys.

There is a bigger issue than the one you point out.

and don't get me wrong I am not being arsey I just don't see them in their present form as an answer - in fact when the AVEREAGE travelled in a car in a day is @7 miles I would ask the question why are those people using a car for that any way? To get those average figures an awful lot of those folk are making journeys that ( weather permitting ) they should be walking - if they want to go electric but an electric pedal cycle !

I was in insurance claims - things like that fire today in Leamington Spa. Its hard to get them to bring the debris to me I have to go to it.

We had an engineering arm who certified things like lifts ( needed every 6 to 12 months ) and pressure test boilers for insurance approval services - again hard to get a distillery to bring its pressure vessels to a guy in Reading from Jura.

We had people all over the country but like most of these specialities its an ageing workforce thats thinning out through normal wastage and believe me the people who are qualified can't be on the doorstep of every call they have to make.

Some clients want salesmen to pitch F2F not on a Zoom call - some firms need to demonstrate what they do to a client on a premises visit - particularly if you are offering a new unique manufacturing process.

Staycations. To go on a camping holiday from Carlisle to Cornwall means you have to drive. There are numerous reasons why those journeys will need to be made and if the economy is to reopen there will be more and more. That survey you posted did say it was updated in April 2020 so my guess is that the average will be even lower now but the reason for that is not a reason for why EV's are the answer

Whether EVs are the answer or not is a red herring, fact is what you are describing is an old dying model of the economy. Companies should be training more people up in the industries you have highlighted and not concentrating on short term interests. Government and policy makers need to use carrot and stick to pressure them.

Depending on what and who they are selling to, I would class the journeys some of these salesman are making as non-essential.

Listen to the podcast I posted when you have the time. We can't go on like we did pre-pandemic, we need to consume less and reduce the need to use transport. Fact is the situation you are describing (mass and frequent travel at relatively long distances) has only lasted for two or three generations.

It’s no good saying to people that you shouldn't travel long haul on holiday as often if some other people aren't prepared to make changes to their domestic transport habits.

Whether EVs are the answer or not is a red herring, fact is what you are describing is an old dying model of the economy. Companies should be training more people up in the industries you have highlighted and not concentrating on short term interests. Government and policy makers need to use carrot and stick to pressure them.

Depending on what and who they are selling to, I would class the journeys some of these salesman are making as non-essential.

Listen to the podcast I posted when you have the time. We can't go on like we did pre-pandemic, we need to consume less and reduce the need to use transport. Fact is the situation you are describing (mass and frequent travel at relatively long distances) has only lasted for two or three generations.

It’s no good saying to people that you shouldn't travel long haul on holiday as often if some other people aren't prepared to make changes to their domestic transport habits.

Ok - all I can say is never live next door to a loss adjuster mate - there will always be a shitload of crap on the street outside on the street for him to inspect ( not sure how it gets there - teleportation? ) Live next door to Onslow if you can - the worst you can expect is a Cortina on bricks on his drive

Before covid I drove from Manchester to Brittany via ferry a couple of times a year.
As soon as it settles I will again.
No way am I buying an EV.
I have no intention of stopping for more than ten minutes to top up diesel, give the dog a piss and swap over the driving with the Mrs.
And there are fuck all chargers in rural France.

Ok - all I can say is never live next door to a loss adjuster mate - there will always be a shitload of crap on the street outside on the street for him to inspect ( not sure how it gets there - teleportation? ) Live next door to Onslow if you can - the worst you can expect is a Cortina on bricks on his drive

To be fair your profession would be in the transport etc (I don't assume to know the ins and outs of every profession, and too many to list) but there has to be ways to do things better than we are now. It isn't exactly great for your quality of life or physical health (back etc) if you are doing those long journeys so often.

Somebody in the team I worked with used to do occasional long distance travel to Q&A accommodation. Essential travel, obviously, necessary for the sake of covering against liability and but if we had more joined up relationships maybe we could have relied on partner agencies' quality assurance more often.

It’s not something we can solve with top down utopianism, the solution needs to be bottom up.

But there are so many areas of current our way of life where financial factors have led to huge unnecessary waste.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.