Electric cars

I'd never go back to an ICE car now. I have the MG5 and not only was it really competitive to buy as a 1 day pre registered car at £20,000 cash, it has now driven 1400 miles at exactly 1.65p per mile. I do have a drive and home charging facility which is key so can access cheap 5p per Kw rates, but have used on occasion the free Pod Point chargers you find at Tesco and on a recent trip to Wembley I used, and was impressed by the speed and simplicity, one of the new Gridserve Rapid Chargers at Baldock Services on the A1. Absolutely no queues and can charge a car from 20% to 80% (around 150 miles) in the time it takes to go to the toilet and eat a McDonald's! You have to pay for these ones of course but even at 30p per Kw they still are around a third of the price that the equivalent distance would cost in petrol. You also have the great benefit of not spilling fuel on your hands or clothes too.

The CEO of a major car manufacturer was on the radio last week , think it was VW but might be wrong.
Anyway. He said Europe isnt logistically ready for the 2030 switch and ideally would make it 2040.
The cars are ready, the logistics and charging points etc are not and wont be

The two major businesses where I worked I joined when there were non-contributory final salary schemes. As union membership fell the businesses pounced and made changes to pension arrangements. The Unions looked after members and retained contribution benefits and final salary schemes - its not hard to understand really. I don't think you are right - were more workers unionised they would hold more away - particularly now when workers are in demand.

You are right, but only up to a point. Anti-Union legislation has diminished the overall effectiveness of unions. That needs to be repealed too.
I think you’ll find that the demise of final salary pensions has more to do with employers being unable to write massive open-ended cheques in a modern, competitive economy. At best (or worst), unionisation could only slow the inevitable rather than defy gravity altogether.

You guys were doing well until you gratuitously introduced personal political prejudices into a thread on electric cars.

Last edited:
The CEO of a major car manufacturer was on the radio last week , think it was VW but might be wrong.
Anyway. He said Europe isnt logistically ready for the 2030 switch and ideally would make it 2040.
The cars are ready, the logistics and charging points etc are not and wont be
I can well imagine. I was toying with the idea of getting an electric car but I’m afraid it’ll have to wait, at least until 2024 now. I personally don’t think we will see a real change until at least 25/26. It’ll be people who are on 3/4 year leases or are on PCP who’s cars could potentially be worthless (no capital) if they take out another petrol or diesel if they renew and their loan is up by 2030. It’s whether people are thinking long term like that.

I'd never go back to an ICE car now. I have the MG5 and not only was it really competitive to buy as a 1 day pre registered car at £20,000 cash, it has now driven 1400 miles at exactly 1.65p per mile. I do have a drive and home charging facility which is key so can access cheap 5p per Kw rates, but have used on occasion the free Pod Point chargers you find at Tesco and on a recent trip to Wembley I used, and was impressed by the speed and simplicity, one of the new Gridserve Rapid Chargers at Baldock Services on the A1. Absolutely no queues and can charge a car from 20% to 80% (around 150 miles) in the time it takes to go to the toilet and eat a McDonald's! You have to pay for these ones of course but even at 30p per Kw they still are around a third of the price that the equivalent distance would cost in petrol. You also have the great benefit of not spilling fuel on your hands or clothes too.

what on earth were you doing to spill fuel on yourself?

I think you’ll find that the demise of final salary pensions has more to do with employers being unable to write massive open-ended cheques in a modern, competitive economy.

The place where I worked were pleading poverty so cancelled their DB schemes then come the next annual results boasted that the changes enabled them to provide a 40% increase in share holder dividends

Reading back through the thread it seems the cheapest ev is some mg thing for 20k?
Mgs are built in china I believe. No disrespect to the owner but it wont last long enough to recoup the cost of not buying fossil fuel, unless you're doing huge mileages, which ev's currently can't do without the faff. Hardly anyone buys an mg, and there's a bloody good reason, the're shite. How many rover 75's + mgs do you see on the roads? They were gash when built in the uk, let alone china. It's all very well saying yeah I stop to charge it and by the time i've had a 3 course meal and a long dump i'm good for another 50 miles as long as I dont put the radio on, but that doesnt cut it at the mo.
The're too expensive, and we are being fed lies by the manufacturers about range. Not one review i've seen have they achieved the claimed range. Not one.
Give me a cheap ev (it is, afterall, a gloryfied milkfoat) with a decent range and i'm in.
Until then, no thanks.
Yours, J, Clarkson ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.