Electric cars

I see many complain that the mileage given for these EVs are for when you don’t have anything else on radio, charging phone etc, so why don’t they make the roof a solar panel and use if you like a leisure battery to run these extra things? Many converted campers do this off grid, surely this could be incorporated into the cars? I’ve actually put trunking into my garage which is going to be converted that runs from my consumer unit to outside in anticipation we will need a power point outside at some point, I don’t mind one for trips round tow etc, but until I can have a car that goes to the other end of the country with everything working without a charge I’ll be holding off.

I see many complain that the mileage given for these EVs are for when you don’t have anything else on radio, charging phone etc, so why don’t they make the roof a solar panel and use if you like a leisure battery to run these extra things? Many converted campers do this off grid, surely this could be incorporated into the cars? I’ve actually put trunking into my garage which is going to be converted that runs from my consumer unit to outside in anticipation we will need a power point outside at some point, I don’t mind one for trips round tow etc, but until I can have a car that goes to the other end of the country with everything working without a charge I’ll be holding off.
Do you often go from one end of the country to the other??

Get tired of all this ‘what aboutery’. ’Normal’ people get up, go to work, park the car all day, get back in and go home. At the weekend they probably do a bit of shopping or if you are like me, way out in the countryside, you may go off to the nearest town or city for a spot of relaxation. The car charge is not grossly affected by having the AC, radio or phone charger on. For longer distances, very rare in my case, you factor in a stop to charge up. Most people would stop after about 4 hours driving anyway for a slash/coffee/something to eat. I agree that it might not be for everyone, especially if you are coming from Devon/Cornwall etc to see City. It is always possible to charge it up whilst watching the game.

Yes, for some people who do hundreds of miles a day an EV will not be suitable yet and yes if you can’t get a suitable charge point close to your home as well. This will change, indeed it is already changing with firms putting charging points in their car parks. Nottingham Park n Ride have rows of chargers so you can charge up whilst at work. It will come. Some charging firms are offering to place charging points in pubs and restaurants car parks for free (and these are rapid chargers).

If it is not for you then fine just don’t go making up crap as your excuse for not getting one.

Do you often go from one end of the country to the other??
no but even if i wanted to go to birmingham and back for a match thats 160 miles so id like to do that in thew middle of winter without having to worry about find a charging point, middle of winter heated seats, heating on in car, radio on i bet most cars wont do that and god help getting stuck in a traffic jam. The new renault vans are advertised at about 180 miles but when you turn stuff on it vastly reduces they dont even put in aircon or sat nav becaue they know they wont go far. So all this electric stuff is great in theory if youve got hours to park up and charge and wait till the scrotes start coming down your street unplugging them in the middle of the night for a laugh!

Get tired of all this ‘what aboutery’. ’Normal’ people get up, go to work, park the car all day, get back in and go home. At the weekend they probably do a bit of shopping or if you are like me, way out in the countryside, you may go off to the nearest town or city for a spot of relaxation. The car charge is not grossly affected by having the AC, radio or phone charger on. For longer distances, very rare in my case, you factor in a stop to charge up. Most people would stop after about 4 hours driving anyway for a slash/coffee/something to eat. I agree that it might not be for everyone, especially if you are coming from Devon/Cornwall etc to see City. It is always possible to charge it up whilst watching the game.

Yes, for some people who do hundreds of miles a day an EV will not be suitable yet and yes if you can’t get a suitable charge point close to your home as well. This will change, indeed it is already changing with firms putting charging points in their car parks. Nottingham Park n Ride have rows of chargers so you can charge up whilst at work. It will come. Some charging firms are offering to place charging points in pubs and restaurants car parks for free (and these are rapid chargers).

If it is not for you then fine just don’t go making up crap as your excuse for not getting one.
until that infrasructure is in place and you can fill up as quick as petrol of course it will put people off, watch the Guy Martin show and how he got on.

no but even if i wanted to go to birmingham and back for a match thats 160 miles so id like to do that in thew middle of winter without having to worry about find a charging point, middle of winter heated seats, heating on in car, radio on i bet most cars wont do that and god help getting stuck in a traffic jam. The new renault vans are advertised at about 180 miles but when you turn stuff on it vastly reduces they dont even put in aircon or sat nav becaue they know they wont go far. So all this electric stuff is great in theory if youve got hours to park up and charge and wait till the scrotes start coming down your street unplugging them in the middle of the night for a laugh!
Funny, I have non of those problems. 300 miles for me in Summer, 260 in the winter gets me, and most people I suspect, wherever I want to go. Heated seats(a luxury!) Getting in a traffic jam?? You would have to be stuck a very, very, long time to drain a battery and you can, believe it or not, switch it off just like an ICE car. A lot of anecdotal rubbish in here. It doesn’t take ‘hours to park up and charge’. Sounds like you don’t really know what it is like to own one and like to knock those that do and makes outlandish reasons on why you won’t get one.

If you won’t get one then that is entirely up to you of course. Just don’t go around spreading out dated, outlandish ‘facts’.

Funny, I have non of those problems. 300 miles for me in Summer, 260 in the winter gets me, and most people I suspect, wherever I want to go. Heated seats(a luxury!) Getting in a traffic jam?? You would have to be stuck a very, very, long time to drain a battery and you can, believe it or not, switch it off just like an ICE car. A lot of anecdotal rubbish in here. It doesn’t take ‘hours to park up and charge’. Sounds like you don’t really know what it is like to own one and like to knock those that do and makes outlandish reasons on why you won’t get one.

If you won’t get one then that is entirely up to you of course. Just don’t go around spreading out dated, outlandish ‘facts’.
They are not as green as they are made out to be.

To the end user they might be, but in terms of CO2 emissions and other pollutants over the life cycle of the vehicle (cradle to grave) not so much. And that's before you factor in the environmental impact of the batteries and other rare earth metals used in the manufacturing of electric vehicles (procurement, production and disposal).

I’d love to own one if I can get one fir £10k, and not second hand where the battery life will be almost gone, like I said watch the Guy Martin program, if we all turned up at the petrol station to charge there’d be queues and it wouldn’t be a 5 min stop. How do people in terrace houses charge up, those who haven’t got home charging point? All well and good spouting how good they are but the average man in the street is been priced out just look at what’s happening with the clean air charge in Manchester, there’s going to be huge problems with that, make it affordable and accessible to your average person.

I’d love to own one if I can get one fir £10k, and not second hand where the battery life will be almost gone, like I said watch the Guy Martin program, if we all turned up at the petrol station to charge there’d be queues and it wouldn’t be a 5 min stop. How do people in terrace houses charge up, those who haven’t got home charging point? All well and good spouting how good they are but the average man in the street is been priced out just look at what’s happening with the clean air charge in Manchester, there’s going to be huge problems with that, make it affordable and accessible to your average person.
You obviously didn't read my previous post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.