Electric cars

I had a genuine choice at the turn of the year about where to sink my "next new car" money - my short list included a Tesla Model 3 and a Ford Mustang GT as well as what I eventually picked - a 3 litre diesel MHEV Land Rover

If the all electric Rivian R1T had been available to buy in the UK I would have bought it. Because driving is not all about the eco side of life, I did not go for the Tesla. (or the insanity of the Mustang! ;-) )

You obviously didn't read my previous post.
Yes I did, answer my question how do the millions of people in terrace houses charge their cars overnight? I keep asking have you watched the Guy Martin programme? Where he couldn’t get a charge because of places not working! Like I said get the infrastructure in place then you will be onto a winner, as long as the energy comes from clean renewable sources.

Yes I did, answer my question how do the millions of people in terrace houses charge their cars overnight? I keep asking have you watched the Guy Martin programme? Where he couldn’t get a charge because of places not working! Like I said get the infrastructure in place then you will be onto a winner, as long as the energy comes from clean renewable sources.
You obviously did not read my original post where I commented on all those. I said that the infrastructure needed sorting and that some people would have difficulty if they couldn't charge at home. But firms are starting to place charging points at work places, some councils are putting in banks of charging points (Nottingham Park n Ride have rows of them so you charge whilst at work); some charging companies are fitting charging points(rapid chargers) in pubs and restaurants car parks for free. Both BP and Shell are getting in on the act and Starbucks are putting in rapid chargers on their sites on the major routes. There is still a huge amount to do.

As I said, it is not for everyone at present but the problems will be overcome. Did I see somewhere that you will be able to pick up a charge by parking on top of a grid like you do with a phone?

You obviously did not read my original post where I commented on all those. I said that the infrastructure needed sorting and that some people would have difficulty if they couldn't charge at home. But firms are starting to place charging points at work places, some councils are putting in banks of charging points (Nottingham Park n Ride have rows of them so you charge whilst at work); some charging companies are fitting charging points(rapid chargers) in pubs and restaurants car parks for free. Both BP and Shell are getting in on the act and Starbucks are putting in rapid chargers on their sites on the major routes. There is still a huge amount to do.

As I said, it is not for everyone at present but the problems will be overcome. Did I see somewhere that you will be able to pick up a charge by parking on top of a grid like you do with a phone?
What should have happened is that all the major players should have sat round a table 10 or 15 years ago and decided on a universal battery design that could be swapped freely and easily between models. That way there would be no charging issues, no queuing, just pull up, swap battery and go. If you have a little runabout that battery lasts 200 miles. If you have a sports version, it lasts 50 miles.
But no, what we get is manufacturers desperately trying to look green whilst charging the consumer well over the odds for a glorified milkfloat, lying about range, and wearing blinkers when it comes to the actual practicality of it.
As more and more get sucked in, energy providers will gradually increase the cost to charge, in 10 years time an ev will cost the same, or more, than a current petrol car per mile.

What should have happened is that all the major players should have sat round a table 10 or 15 years ago and decided on a universal battery design that could be swapped freely and easily between models. That way there would be no charging issues, no queuing, just pull up, swap battery and go. If you have a little runabout that battery lasts 200 miles. If you have a sports version, it lasts 50 miles.
But no, what we get is manufacturers desperately trying to look green whilst charging the consumer well over the odds for a glorified milkfloat, lying about range, and wearing blinkers when it comes to the actual practicality of it.
As more and more get sucked in, energy providers will gradually increase the cost to charge, in 10 years time an ev will cost the same, or more, than a current petrol car per mile.
Wait until the government want their slice I think currently petrol is taxed at 70% so if we all stop using it, imagine the drop on tax revenue, suddenly I see electricity been taxed the same. Only way to prevent that would be solar from your home, hopefully that could reduce costs dramaticall.

All these people who complain about not being able to charge their car at home!! How many of you fill up your cars with fuel at home? How many of you leave your cars in a car park for hours on end? We can already leave our EV in a car park and charge it whilst shopping/working. There are more and more chargers being introduced all the time. It will only get better.

All these people who complain about not being able to charge their car at home!! How many of you fill up your cars with fuel at home? How many of you leave your cars in a car park for hours on end? We can already leave our EV in a car park and charge it whilst shopping/working. There are more and more chargers being introduced all the time. It will only get better.
There's little point mocking people with a genuine complaint about recharging EV's by making a comparison that makes little sense.

You don't need to 'charge' an ICE at home because there is already fuel stored. EV's utilising batteries to store evergy are simply not efficient and never will be. What if you work somewhere where there isn't an EV car park facility available? Many people park their vehicles outside their workplace rather or on the streets where no charge ports are located. "It will only get better" translates to "it's going to cost hundreds of billions to develop an entirely new infrastructure that will only be beneficial to a few rather than the majority".

EV's cars are the way forward, but battery stored energy method isn't. That is the main issue and concern with EV cars at present. The public is being 'sold' on the premise that we can 'charge up the EV at home', but unless we have designated parking spaces outside our own homes with charge ports, all we're going to see are a lot of extension leads draped across pavements as those who were unable to park close to their own home and unable charge their EV during the day, desperately try and put power back into their car overnight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.