Electric cars

Problem sorted....no need for expensive batteries ;)

View attachment 42634

Too late the Germans are already testing it out.

first-german-e-road-trial.webp

I can address 2 of those questions -

How long before the infrastructure is built and what will that cost?

Depends what infrastructure you mean - its not about just wall mounted or stand alone charge points - there also needs to be investment from the electricity suppliers as they will need to massively upgrade the power supply to say a 6 storey car park if half the floors get charge points. Then the supply from the national grid to there will need to be upgraded otherwise power supply to all the other existing users in the area will be restricted.

If full electric is adopted, what will happen to all the redundant fuel pumps, conventional cars and spare parts for them?

Not a major worry for now - they are looking to ban the sales of new fossil fuel and hybrid cars - there is no way they can just overnight ban them - that would cause massive travel chaos and probably ruin the economy as much as Brexit - as long as you will be able to keep a petrol or diesel car going then there will be a supply of fuel and you will keep using it for some time.

Another unthought of issue is when you go into that multi storey you will still be charged for parking, If you go to a supermarket or car park - and this is the case now - if there is a queue to use the functioning charge points and you have to wait say 30-40 minutes for one to become free then your car needs an hour and a half to recharge fully what happens when the car park has a 90 minute or 2 hour maximum stay?

Trolley buses next? If its a lorry delivering Fishermans Friends will it be lit up like that Blackpool tram

1955 is on the phone - it would like its technology back.

I don't think electric lorries that can be charged without stopping were around in 1955...

Lots of houses point in the wrong direction, north facing they’d be useless.
Also solar panels are banned on all listed buildings.
It will take time as the cost needs to come down in comparison to house values. No point spending 50k on a roof if your house is only worth 150K. But here in Zurich where most houses are in the millions , most houses and even apartments have solar roofs as it's not such a big expense in percentage terms. As it becomes more mainstream the full roof will be done like in the pic. So has long as there is sun you should get some charge. Not going to happen tomorrow, but when the solar tiles are pretty much the same price as normal tiles, then most people who need new roofs will go solar.

Attachments

• f9255d15-81bd-43df-b14e-42bf3b9682f4-FLSAR_05262021_roof.jpg
    f9255d15-81bd-43df-b14e-42bf3b9682f4-FLSAR_05262021_roof.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
but the Macmaster is possibly the worst advocate for a EV, all his content is about clickbait. If you watch the video he complained about the length of the charger cable, it's clear he could have moved his car closer.

I've had an EV for 15 months, never had a single issue. Ok, it's a Tesla which has a great infrastructure, but even the non Tesla chargers are catching up.

Macmaster=clickbait, simple

Yeah - clickbait eh?

that's not an EV issue that's a porche software issue, many petrol/diesel cars have similar problems related to their software.

I stand by my macmaster=clickbait statement

I had a software issue on the ICE in my 2016 Juke - it meant that the nav and aircon could not be used for say 5 to 15 minutes in the morning booted up - still drove though. When you have a car that functions entirely on electricity and depends on its own software just to make the wheels turn then it is an EV issue - FF vehicles seldom catastrophically fail due to a software issue - for most, at worst, they go into limp home mode so you can get it to somewhere to get it looked at . If an EV breaks down in most cases it can't even be towed somewhere to be looked at.

In their current evolution and with the charging infrastructure as it is they are simply not the answer. Far too much is experimental.

I have ridden in an electric car and it was good, and as technology improves they will get better

However, we just have not got the infrastructure needed the ban on sale is only 8 years away, I have always thought that after 2030 all new cars will have to be plug in hybrids until say 2040 in the hope that the infrastructure would be somewhere near by then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.