Electric cars

Just been loaned a BMW i4 for the week whilst my vehicle is in for repair.
What a beautiful car this is.
I have no idea at what the cost would be to buy it. As much as I like it the seats seem very sporty and less comfy. My sciatica was kicking in as I haven't drove in that seated position for years. Used to driving an X5 and a Vivaro.
Think I favour the Kia Evo 6.

Hasnt the cost of charging electric cars also gone up. Electricy bills have.
Yes certainly, though it is still a lot cheaper than petrol.

I use Octopus Energy's 'Go' tariff. 7.5p/Kwh between 12:30am and 4:30am - The car is set to charge during that time. Car covers 20-30 miles per day on average, so its always fully charged in the morning.

A car doing 40mpg will be getting through £150-£200 in fuel to that, my Smart Meter tells me the cost of keeping my car charged is about 80p per day, call it £30/month and that's an overestimate.

Doing short trips, in an old EV, and being able to charge from home is the sweet spot for EVs IMHO. No point in dropping £30-£40k on a new one to save £200/month.

Last edited:
Just been loaned a BMW i4 for the week whilst my vehicle is in for repair.
What a beautiful car this is.
I have no idea at what the cost would be to buy it. As much as I like it the seats seem very sporty and less comfy. My sciatica was kicking in as I haven't drove in that seated position for years. Used to driving an X5 and a Vivaro.
Think I favour the Kia Evo 6.
starts from £53,000. If i had the money it would be a no brainer, beauty of a car!

Tesla Model Y next on my shopping list... I've been impressed with the Jaguar ePace Diesel we have which gives an indicated 62mpg at legal speeds on the motorway with no AC but I drove a BMW i3s as a company car for 18 months and always said I'd have another EV as long as it had decent range.... The fuel prices and the fact that we're due to become grandparents in December (two sons will be in Stafford by then when the eldest lad moves back) mean that an EV will be ideal when we're up and down between Hawarden and Stafford

My 13 year old Audi A4 2.0Tdi does 60 MPG if i cruise at 70. ePace doing 62 is really good as it's an SUV. Still costs a fortune at the minute to do any sort of long journey.

Yes certainly, though it is still a lot cheaper than petrol.

I use Octopus Energy's 'Go' tariff. 7.5p/Kwh between 12:30am and 4:30am - The car is set to charge during that time. Car covers 20-30 miles per day on average, so its always fully charged in the morning.

A car doing 40mpg will be getting through £150-£200 in fuel to that, my Smart Meter tells me the cost of keeping my car charged is about 80p per day, call it £30/month and that's an overestimate.

Doing short trips, in an old EV, and being able to charge from home is the sweet spot for EVs IMHO. No point in dropping £30-£40k on a new one to save £200/month.
Very informative, many thanks.

I'd gladly spend more for an electric vehicle - but the infrastructure, for me, isn't quite there.

I'm retired and live in a Condominium - no personal garage. So how am I to charge an electric vehicle? I simply cannot with any sort of convenience.

As an aside, what happens to all those materials used to construct the batteries used in electric vehicles once the electric car has reached end-of-life?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.