Electric cars

I won't be leasing or buying one, they are not convenient for me. If they become as convenient as a petrol or diesel car then of course I will look at them.
And that’s the thing, they have to fit what you need, if we could afford it I’d lease one, but both out cars are paid for so it’s just running costs, which even combined would only just amount to leasing one car nevermind two.

And that’s the thing, they have to fit what you need, if we could afford it I’d lease one, but both out cars are paid for so it’s just running costs, which even combined would only just amount to leasing one car nevermind two.

That's where I'm at.

I can only afford to lease a car for my next one but I do need one rather soon.
Company is offering Octopus Salary Sacrifice scheme but I don't know a great deal about the T's and C's yet (and how much I'll actually be saving - someone I know gave that scheme up as it messed his tax up).

Still thinking of leasing for petrol for a couple of years (and by the way, I live in a apartment block so no chance of charging at home).

Ah, so it's a 'goal' with a lot of 'we intend to's'?

Sounds like marketing bullshit to me.

Well my goal is to be a billionaire, but it doesn't mean to say it's ever ever going to happen.

Indeed.

At the moment there is no way they can recycle the batteries. So all these electric cars are just adding to the world rape.

Cobalt is mined on a massive scale in Congo, Cuba and other places before being shipped to Russia, China and other far east countries for refining. Canada might have a refining plant as well. The mines themselves have links to water pollution, contaminated crops and a possible link to cancer, tuberculosis and silicosis. The mines devastate the landscape around them.

The transportation also adds to the "footprint". Mined in Africa, sent to China, sent back across the world before finally being assembled at the car manufacturer.

Then there's the electricity generation. We are still burning coal and gas to produce it. Other countries far more than us. Renewable energy is rising but with more and more EV cars being sold will it keep pace?

And finally the infrastructure. It's not there. It never will be. How many cars are on the road? How many charging points do we need? Millions. never going to happen. Don't forget that some of the biggest charging station companies are now owned by oil companies. Chargemaster is owned by BP. Ubitricty is owned by Shell. You think the price will stay the same? Once oil usage plummets then they will need to cover their shortfall somehow.

I drove a Tesla model 3 a few months ago. Loved it. Would I buy one? Nope. Nor any of the others. Nothing wrong with having a car and driving it until it dies. That is how to save the planet. Instead we get this boom and bust 3 year cycle. Must have a new car, must have a new car and repeat. It's utter madness.

That's where I'm at.

I can only afford to lease a car for my next one but I do need one rather soon.
Company is offering Octopus Salary Sacrifice scheme but I don't know a great deal about the T's and C's yet (and how much I'll actually be saving - someone I know gave that scheme up as it messed his tax up).

Still thinking of leasing for petrol for a couple of years (and by the way, I live in a apartment block so no chance of charging at home).
Ye my wife is been offered a similar scheme through the NHS, the deals seem almost to good to be true as there are massive savings compared to do it priGatley.

Indeed.

At the moment there is no way they can recycle the batteries. So all these electric cars are just adding to the world rape.

Cobalt is mined on a massive scale in Congo, Cuba and other places before being shipped to Russia, China and other far east countries for refining. Canada might have a refining plant as well. The mines themselves have links to water pollution, contaminated crops and a possible link to cancer, tuberculosis and silicosis. The mines devastate the landscape around them.

The transportation also adds to the "footprint". Mined in Africa, sent to China, sent back across the world before finally being assembled at the car manufacturer.

Then there's the electricity generation. We are still burning coal and gas to produce it. Other countries far more than us. Renewable energy is rising but with more and more EV cars being sold will it keep pace?

And finally the infrastructure. It's not there. It never will be. How many cars are on the road? How many charging points do we need? Millions. never going to happen. Don't forget that some of the biggest charging station companies are now owned by oil companies. Chargemaster is owned by BP. Ubitricty is owned by Shell. You think the price will stay the same? Once oil usage plummets then they will need to cover their shortfall somehow.

I drove a Tesla model 3 a few months ago. Loved it. Would I buy one? Nope. Nor any of the others. Nothing wrong with having a car and driving it until it dies. That is how to save the planet. Instead we get this boom and bust 3 year cycle. Must have a new car, must have a new car and repeat. It's utter madness.
And then you get these stupid clean air tax areas, I wanted to buy a van to make into a camper, I’d run it for at least 10/15 years so it would be a 20/25 year old van by the time I finished but I’d be charge to drive it everyday by these stupid schemes. How much to buy a new one, how much does it cost the environment to make that van rather than run that old one into the ground? I’m afraid a lot of the arguments for EV are a sham.

People make valid points about electric cars and their carbon footprint. However, imagine walking around a city where every car on the road is electric and you have zero exhaust emissions. Don’t know how much that helps the planet BUT I tell you it would be lovely for all the people walking around that city and not having to inhale fumes.

Pipe dream perhaps.

People make valid points about electric cars and their carbon footprint. However, imagine walking around a city where every car on the road is electric and you have zero exhaust emissions. Don’t know how much that helps the planet BUT I tell you it would be lovely for all the people walking around that city and not having to inhale fumes.

Pipe dream perhaps.
Or maybe don’t allow cars into the city centre, provide decent public transport links etc. I remember going through Manchester in first lockdown with zero cars on the road, it was an amazing place. There is zero reason for private cars to go along Deansgate etc.

Indeed.

Companies already do this, so as more EV's reach end of life, more recycling companies will emerge.

That is how to save the planet. Instead we get this boom and bust 3 year cycle. Must have a new car, must have a new car and repeat. It's utter madness.
My car is coming up for 10 years old and I've had it from nearly new (ex dem). I don't intend to change it any time soon. It's a 1.5l diesel and it's done about 60,000 miles. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a modern car, but it serves a purpose. I commute to and from work by bicycle anyway, around 80 miles a week, so I don't generally have to put a lot of fuel in my car. Last time out I put £35 in so I could go and visit my daughter.

And then you get these stupid clean air tax areas, I wanted to buy a van to make into a camper, I’d run it for at least 10/15 years so it would be a 20/25 year old van by the time I finished but I’d be charge to drive it everyday by these stupid schemes. How much to buy a new one, how much does it cost the environment to make that van rather than run that old one into the ground? I’m afraid a lot of the arguments for EV are a sham.
Certainly creative marketing that people have bought in to. People just see the 'zero emissions' claims and think it means 'green' when it really doesn't.

Pipe dream perhaps.
I cycle through a city twice a day. I try and avoid times of heavy traffic, and mornings are not usually too bad as I'm normally on the road by 0645. Afternoons are a different beast; they can be awful. Zero emissions however is a misnomer. As you put it zero 'exhaust' emissions, but not 'zero' emissions. Particulate from brake dust and tyres now accounts for upwards of 70% of the roadside particulate matter, and with the thirst for bigger, heavier EV's it's only going to get worse.

Companies already do this, so as more EV's reach end of life, more recycling companies will emerge.

The bottom line is that there is money to be made, and government grant money swilling around certainly helps these companies to find their 'green' credentials.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.