Electric cars

Companies already do this, so as more EV's reach end of life, more recycling companies will emerge.

There is a big difference between recycling tech batteries and EV ones. Size. But there are companies doing it albeit on a small scale. Which is good news as is the other good news that they think up to 80% of batteries in the future can be made up of recycled material.

Cobalt really is not the answer if you want to be green. It causes pollution and devastation on an industrial scale.
Tesla are trying to move away from cobalt in their batteries due to this and switch to lithium.
None of this is the answer really though as it's not really "green".

Offset I think they call it.

To be really "green" everyone should cut out unnecessary journeys, use public transport when possible and use their car for years instead of replacing it every 3.

This, due to our lazy nature, will never happen either.

There is a big difference between recycling tech batteries and EV ones. Size. But there are companies doing it albeit on a small scale. Which is good news as is the other good news that they think up to 80% of batteries in the future can be made up of recycled material.

Cobalt really is not the answer if you want to be green. It causes pollution and devastation on an industrial scale.
Tesla are trying to move away from cobalt in their batteries due to this and switch to lithium.

To be really "green" everyone should cut out unnecessary journeys, use public transport when possible and use their car for years instead of replacing it every 3.

Consumerism is the root cause of most of our problems, yet our solutions never seem to tackle this issue.

Tough isn't it.
I don't use a car that often and if in work I'll jump the tram and train and love walking.
But there are moments when I absolutely need one (visiting friends and family, travelling away for weekends which I intend to do more).
But absolutely some people drive their cars to their own kitchens ffs.

As a runner I'd love to see cleaner vehicles on all streets (not just city centres given I don't live in the city centre).

A clean utopia is way off by the sounds of it, but you know....those discussions are taking place (with the caveat someone will be raking it in however clean the tech is).

Ye my wife is been offered a similar scheme through the NHS, the deals seem almost to good to be true as there are massive savings compared to do it priGatley.
Has she made a decision yet?

I can't quite work out the small print yet.
Average (lower models) are coming in at £350 pm on this scheme whereas leasing a petrol (say VW t-roc) are around £200 pm.

They do EV's as well. Redwood is owned by one of the co-founders of Tesla, which is their main customer, and is based near the Nevada gigafactory.

Or maybe don’t allow cars into the city centre, provide decent public transport links etc. I remember going through Manchester in first lockdown with zero cars on the road, it was an amazing place. There is zero reason for private cars to go along Deansgate etc.

Yes and I agree to a degree but the way our cities have been designed it’s nearly impossible to close them all to vehicles because there’s not enough bypasses. Never mind how hotels restaurants etc need deliveries.

If cities only allowed electric vehicles it would be a huge improvement.

Has she made a decision yet?

I can't quite work out the small print yet.
Average (lower models) are coming in at £350 pm on this scheme whereas leasing a petrol (say VW t-roc) are around £200 pm.
I’m going to look at it tonight, depends if they write our car off (insurance claim pending)

Yes and I agree to a degree but the way our cities have been designed it’s nearly impossible to close them all to vehicles because there’s not enough bypasses. Never mind how hotels restaurants etc need deliveries.

If cities only allowed electric vehicles it would be a huge improvement.
Deliveries etc could be done at night, opening the roads up to allow that, it’s changing a way of life and the way things are done but it is possible.

Great way to improve the uptake of EV's

It simply isn't viable to switch the majority of motorists to EV. The price point is too high (due to many factors), and they aren't as green as they are made out to be. According to Volvo they can be anywhere between 30,000 and 70,000 before they reach emissions equality with petrol vehicles.
(https://www.nationalworld.com/lifes...miles-to-be-cleaner-than-a-petrol-car-3450426)

Which is Ironic really as the way consumer culture is going with cars a lot of people are buying/leasing from new every 3 to 4 years, so essentially not benefiting from the reductions in CO2 emissions that the glossy brochures promise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.