Electric cars

It simply isn't viable to switch the majority of motorists to EV. The price point is too high (due to many factors), and they aren't as green as they are made out to be. According to Volvo they can be anywhere between 30,000 and 70,000 before they reach emissions equality with petrol vehicles.
(https://www.nationalworld.com/lifes...miles-to-be-cleaner-than-a-petrol-car-3450426)

Which is Ironic really as the way consumer culture is going with cars a lot of people are buying/leasing from new every 3 to 4 years, so essentially not benefiting from the reductions in CO2 emissions that the glossy brochures promise.

Yeah but "thats business folks "

I agree with you the whole premise that the switch to EV's is built on is a political con because they need to be seen to be doing something - I have always maintained that the current model of EV's in their current incarnation plus a terrible recharging infrastructure is just not fit for current purpose never mind the conclusion set out by Govt

Yeah but "thats business folks "

I agree with you the whole premise that the switch to EV's is built on is a political con because they need to be seen to be doing something - I have always maintained that the current model of EV's in their current incarnation plus a terrible recharging infrastructure is just not fit for current purpose never mind the conclusion set out by Govt
It would be interesting for someone to do a cost/benefit analysis of the differences between the full on switch to EV and other available measures to reduce CO2 such as imposing a weight limit size/weight limit/HP/torque limit on new vehicles.

Something as simple as a reduction in the National speed limit by 10 mph will have a fairly substantial impact on carbon emissions, but getting the majority of the general public to accept this would be a nightmare.

Finally went and got an EV for us, well its one of those range extenders so has an engine in the rear but as far as i can see it works like a generator and is only used to send power to the battery. I've only had it (BMW i3) since Friday and already had issues with it weaving all over the fucking place on the motorway at speeds over 60 (they reckon its tracking) and literally this morning it just came up with an error saying 'Drivetrain malfunction'. So its going great up to now!
Driving locally its superb, the economy is good and its like a suped up go-kart that just lifts off if you put your foot down. Not sure i enjoy driving fast with it that much, i think that's the strange feeling from the battery operation, but it's not really built for that. It is good that you don't have any worry at junctions and roundabouts with power delivery, find a space and put your foot down and you're off.

Finally went and got an EV for us, well its one of those range extenders so has an engine in the rear but as far as i can see it works like a generator and is only used to send power to the battery. I've only had it (BMW i3) since Friday and already had issues with it weaving all over the fucking place on the motorway at speeds over 60 (they reckon its tracking) and literally this morning it just came up with an error saying 'Drivetrain malfunction'. So its going great up to now!
Driving locally its superb, the economy is good and its like a suped up go-kart that just lifts off if you put your foot down. Not sure i enjoy driving fast with it that much, i think that's the strange feeling from the battery operation, but it's not really built for that. It is good thatc you don't have any worry at junctions and roundabouts with power delivery, find a space and put your foot down and you're off.
Wow that was brave of you doing 60 in an i3 on the motorway !! Because of the narrow wheels they tend to follow the lorry track/grooves and this makes for interesting handling in lane one . The motorway is not the natural domain for an i3 to be honest .

Wow that was brave of you doing 60 in an i3 on the motorway !! Because of the narrow wheels they tend to follow the lorry track/grooves and this makes for interesting handling in lane one . The motorway is not the natural domain for an i3 to be honest .
Yeah, but i did a read up on it before i got it and saw a few people saying they do motorway commutes in it, part of the reason i got the range extender. Gonna pick it up again today so will see if they have fixed the issue, i don't expect it to be a Mercedes on the motorway but i also don't expect it should be trying to swerve me into different lanes!

We have an i3s and it is great little car, good on motor way due to the wider tyres and its nippy, we have gone from spending 130 a month on petrol to 4 a month in electric. Car is same monthly and its free tax aswell.

We have an i3s and it is great little car, good on motor way due to the wider tyres and its nippy, we have gone from spending 130 a month on petrol to 4 a month in electric. Car is same monthly and its free tax aswell.
How many miles a month do you do blue? That's a serious saving.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.