Electrician help please.

nw42

Had a visit from British Gas this week, problem with the central heating boiler (Baxi Combi 105), he plugged something into the socket and informed me that there is a problem with the earthing, the form he left with me says 'resistance to earth' is the problem. He advised me to contact a spark for further help.

Fortunately he did repair the boiler, which I suppose he could have declined to do, unsure. Anyway, the problem he fixed has reoccurred, so I need to call them out again, I suspect they will refuse to fix it until I sort out the earthing problem.

Just wondering, is it something I can do myself with the guidance of some kind soul on here, or do I need to get a spark out to it, if so is it likely to be a major job.

cheers in advance mooners, appreciate any help.

He did put one of those yellow warning stickers on it but I removed that so as not to scare our doris.

Edit;, perhaps I should have added that I'm unemployed after being made redundant just before Christmas and my wife will probably leave me sometime soon. I don't have any kids though and I don't wear purple trousers. Other than that I'm just as needy as corky, hope this helps my cause.

Lavinda Past said:
I know nowt about electrickery, but I'll happily bump the post to keep it near the top.

Hope you get some help soon!

Good man, much appreciated.

Just trying to get an idea of the job and whether I need to get a professional out. Had a google around but can't find anything conclusive, which is leading me to believe it's not just a case of attaching some green/yellow wires to the pipes.

By 'socket' do you mean the mains electricity socket, not a test socket on the boiler?

If so, you've got a shite earth connection. It could be at the socket or between there and the actual earth connection going into the ground in your home. If you get a short circuit the fuse or circuit breaker won't trip and you could get an electric shock (If you have an RCD device this might go and you'll be lucky). It would have helped you if he would have tested other sockets in the circuit to see if it's shite earthing all round or just at that socket.

What did he repair on the boiler?

You can replace electrical parts on the boiler but don't fuck about with anything that involves the gas, it's illegal and you need a Gas Safe registered engineer.

big blueballs said:
A bit more info needed....is the problem......high earth loop impedance reading?

Not quite sure mate, he just wrote 'resistance to earth' on the form he left with me, this was under the heading 'for all situations the following remedial works are required.'

He plugged some contraption into the sockets near the boiler, that's when he said it needed sorting.

Just to add, I've had a service contract with BG for about 5yrs and although nothing has been changed they have never flagged it up before.

Sorry I can't give you any further info.<br /><br />-- Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:28 pm --<br /><br />
Carver said:
By 'socket' do you mean the mains electricity socket, not a test socket on the boiler?

If so, you've got a shite earth connection. It could be at the socket or between there and the actual earth connection going into the ground in your home. If you get a short circuit the fuse or circuit breaker won't trip and you could get an electric shock (If you have an RCD device this might go and you'll be lucky). It would have helped you if he would have tested other sockets in the circuit to see if it's shite earthing all round or just at that socket.

What did he repair on the boiler?

You can replace electrical parts on the boiler but don't fuck about with anything that involves the gas, it's illegal and you need a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Socket - next to the boiler there is a double plug socket, next to that is the main switch for the boiler (looks like a light switch), I'm not sure which of these he was using but I thought the device he used had a normal 3pin plug on it, could be wrong though.

billfromthehill said:
You removed his safety sticker you have broken the most important rule
Anyone who turns up now is in danger thanks to you you goon.

It was an old used sticker that he just hung on it, he also left it switched on, so thanks but I reckon you're wrong. Got anything constructive to add? Tool.

nw42 said:
billfromthehill said:

It was an old used sticker that he just hung on it, he also left it switched on, so thanks but I reckon you're wrong. Got anything constructive to add? Tool.
Yeh yellow pages

billfromthehill said:
nw42 said:
billfromthehill said:

Yeh yellow pages

Thought so, thanks for your valuable input.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.