Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the Mangala discussion found its way in the upcoming "Leicester-City" topic, where it changed from him either playing instead of the suspended Otamenid to if he's good enough to be in the squad. I think Mangala is a decent defender, one that will have a mistake in him and not suited to play in the way we are now. Than again Otamendi in recent history was a defender that sat on his behind way too often and looked like he wasn't able to pass a ball to a teammate. I like to think he was even on his way out, with Real mentioned to be interested. Loads on here couldn't wait to see him pack his bags.

Delph, not being a particular scapegoat though and probably because he is English, was in a similar position as in hardly anyone seeing a future at City for the player, only for him to have done a U-turn that is similar to when he first didn't and than did sign for us from Villa. Delph was lucky Mendy got himself injured and Pep doesn't see Danilo fit to play his way as a leftback (he has no problem putting Danilo at rightback though). Lucky, because he was able to put a string of games together that made him the leftback that plays like it'll be hard for Mendy to regain his starting position.

So back to Mangala, why are so many convinced he has absolutely no future at our club?

If he plays vs Leicester I hope he plays a blinder. Not as much for the player, but it'll suit the teamresult. And therefore I see absolutely no point in scapegoating the player who, and we can all agree on that, has behaved like a true professional during his time at City or on loan elsewhere. Never said a bad word about our club or anyone from it. Opinions to me is a discussion why Mangala can or can't play vs Leicester. Pointing out he is not good enough to play in the PL isn't. To finish it of, I find it baffling we can actually scapegoat on of our players with the way things are going right now.
Very well written piece, hope the lad has a game that just fits in, the wolves game was not a fair game to assess him as quite a few starting were not up to speed but we are living on the edge with so many games in December if we don't trust him coming in, as seen with the sending offs this year and Aguero accident we just move on whereas other seasons it was meltdown time
a solid game will do him the world of good

Last edited:
He's a "mistake leading to a goal" waiting to happen. Ederson had to come out whenever Mangala is caught out of position. Which was a lot. Need a new CB in January.

Make or break month for him which will either mean we spend or stick come the Jan window.. Thought he did enough after coming on. Playing next to Vinny will help him, thought he played some excellent passes out of defence.
Fully expect him to start against Feyenoord.

He's a good player. The Valencia fans I know were gutted they didn't sign him. And for those fretting about the derby, he's better against the big lumps. United would do well to play Rashford through the middle against Kompany and Mangala.

Given that he came in having played so few minutes this season I thought he did a passable job. His positioning needs work and at times he passed us into dangerous areas but a clean sheet nonetheless. I would hope and expect to see him start on Tuesday, both to avoid Vinny playing three games in his first week back and to help him integrate into the team better.

I thought he played well today. As well as he could have. Was a lot better passing the ball than usual, was fully expecting a mistake leading to a goal but he was solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.