Emile Mpenza

"Brian" as he was known on here at the time.

Quite a few moments over the years where you could point to a certain time/game/moment and think "if that hadn't happened we wouldn't be where we are now", and for me the three away games we won on the spin to Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Fulham in March/April were the difference between staying up and going down in that awful final Pearce season.

Mpenza scored in two out of the three mentioned games and led the line well in all of them, so cannot understate his importance. Similarly, Michael Ball came in round the same time and was a huge improvement on what had previously been there (can still see Matt Derbyshire running past Stephen Jordan like he wasn't there when we lost 3-0 at home to Blackburn not too much before this) and Michael Johnson getting in the first team was hugely important because Barton aside the rest of the senior midfielders that year were an absolute fucking disaster.
Stephen Jordan... Just the mere mention of his name makes me break out in a cold sweat....

Stephen Jordan... Just the mere mention of his name makes me break out in a cold sweat....
He was fucking shit.

Mpenza on the other hand, legend, one of the best signings we made in the period from early 90s to the takeover. Convinced we would have been relegated without him. Samaras was shite, Corradi was never the same after he died of old age, Dickov tried his best bless him but he was well past it and Vassell seemed to be going out of his way to prove my early season statement that "he was as useless as it's possible for a PL striker to be" wrong.

Kiki Musampa, 1 of 17 City affiliated players to start a Champions League Final in the last 25 years. Can you name the others?
Most have been done but did Geovanni, Clichy or Sylvinho start one? Also Weah must have.

1. Musampa
2. Cole
3. Lampard
4. Y. Toure
5. K. Toure
6. Hargreaves
7. Schmeichel
8. Tevez
9. Gundogan
10. Boateng
11. Anelka
12. McManaman
13. Savic
14. Milner
15. Sylvinho

16. Maicon
17. Van Bommel
18. Demichelis

19. Played for Bayern

Forgot Schmeichel. Didn’t count Karius or Trippier because I don’t think they ever played an official match.

And two special cases if you want to count them...

20. Pep
21. Txiki

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.