Encountering Non-City football players / staff in everyday life

Gareth Barry Conlon

Nicky Butt lived near me around the age he broke into the first team. He was in the Chinese one night after kick out time when some pissed ne’er do wells started lobbing prawns at his head! It did not go down to well! He moved away not long after.

Used to see him in the boozers in Ashton on a Thursday night (student night) many moons ago with his entourage.
I kept hoping he'd bump into Ricky Hatton and his buffoons one night and be able to see the sparks fly.LOL

Working the doors in town i ran into a few rags , 2 totally different situations

1 Dwight Yorke just after he'd signed for that lot come to Bar 38 in Gay Village with a load of Hangers on, binned them off at the door and was told Dwight was "Representing Manchester " as a City fan that was end of conversation

2 Gary Neville about a month before Dwight Yorke incident , think he'd just got back from WC98 and he just joined the Queue no fuss, when he got to front we had a chat about City/United, no piss taking just a decent guy, by this time i think Dwight Yorke had won a League Cup with Villa and Neville 3 titles and couple of Fa cups, what a difference.

Also going Face to Face with Geoff Horsefield outside Tiger Tiger after he was refused, Lilly Savage trying to calm him down, BCFC end of season do.

As a taxi driver in Cheshire I've lost count of the footballers I've had in my taxi. Nicky butt used to be a regular, as did Steve Bruce. Paul Parker was another as was Steve Watson.Other than that I met schmiechel in Burger King in Copenhagen, was on same flight as solksjaar to Norway and met Mick Mcarthy I'm Molly malones in Tallinn.

Living in the nether regions of north London I don't encounter many City players, with one exception being Bacary Sagna and family in the car park of Sainsburys in New Barnet earlier this season. I had previously seen Bacary in my local kebab shop (in Arsenal training gear), I've also seen him and family at St Pancras. Otherwise, Denis Bergkamp at the A1 driving range, Jermaine Jenas and Hugo Lloris in High Barnet Waitrose, Robbie Keane in the now defunct Grittz restaurant, Chris Hughton and Mikel Arteta driving, separately, on Barnet High Street. I see Joe Kinnear stumbling around Mill Hill regularly, he always wears Newcastle training gear. On holiday last year I saw Kenny Jackett in a Las Vegas Starbucks and Shaun Derry on Santa Barbara beach. In London I've seen Robbie Savage in Mayfair and ironically enough, Peter Crouch in Regents Park, very close to the giraffe enclosure.

1 Dwight Yorke just after he'd signed for that lot come to Bar 38 in Gay Village with a load of Hangers on, binned them off at the door and was told Dwight was "Representing Manchester " as a City fan that was end of conversation

Explains why he found Katie Price attractive then

Gary Neville, wife, and 2 kids were having to show their tickets on the platform at Manc Picc, holding the queue a little. His luggage was personalised with GN even for a family holiday!

Tony Cottee was sat on a step looking bored in Virgin Megastore on Market Street in the 90s, unfortunately i was with an Everton fan who went up to him for his autograph.

Paul Scholes shopping in Oldham in the summer in the 90s, looked like a sunburnt pig ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.