England - care less with a successful City?

PaleBlue

In the pocket, of a jacket, on a train in town
Team supported
Man City
Back in the day (90-98) when City were fairly poor, and England half decent I would have said I was firmly an England fan. As the years have passed, I find I care less and less about the national team. I used to criticise the rags for prioritising club over country, but have to admit I can see why now that I can watch my club playing better than England can. Plus, years ago we weren't exposed to the players as much - I find it impossible to cheer on the likes of Rooney, Terry and Camel Gob.

Would you say you care less about the England team now than you did when we were wallowing in the second/third tiers of English football?

PaleBlue said:
Back in the day (90-98) when City were fairly poor, and England half decent I would have said I was firmly an England fan. As the years have passed, I find I care less and less about the national team. I used to criticise the rags for prioritising club over country, but have to admit I can see why now that I can watch my club playing better than England can. Plus, years ago we weren't exposed to the players as much - I find it impossible to cheer on the likes of Rooney, Terry and Camel Gob.

Would you say you care less about the England team now than you did when we were wallowing in the second/third tiers of English football?
I find my regard for the England team is much the same as ever.

I watched about 20 minutes of the match and I couldn't honestly even say who played well etc, although I noticed Weetabix-head did nothing of any value.

I'm kind of neutral but take an interest because my dad's English and there's City players involved. There's no charisma about the current national team. Hodgson is a decent coach, and it's team full of decent to good players, but there's no character. It's all just a bit boring.

I think you are spot on.

When we were shit I loved us but my only chance of any meaningful achievement was with England. Now we have a chance every year to win trophies I have no interest in England.

A sort of glory hunter in times of need without ever forgetting their true love if you will.

It's not just the presence of rags in the England team ( though it doesn't help) but watching a team every week now who have top quality players with the ability to pass accurately , and control a ball , and which has ( generally) a sense of purpose , it makes England look like what they are - seriously 2nd rate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.