England Squad - Euro 2024

Bellingham, Foden, Palmer and Kane all deserve to start on merit but they all like to occupy the same areas of the pitch so I don’t see how waistcoat will get the best out of them. If they reach the knockouts and Maguire starts it’s game over. Just look at how much better the Rags look when he doesn’t play!

Last edited:
Bellingham, Foden, Palmer and Kane all deserve to start on merit but they all like to occupy the same areas of the pitch so I don’t see how waistcoat will get the best out of them. If they reach the knockouts and Maguire starts it’s game over. Just look at how much better the Rags look when he doesn’t play!
I think the rags are much better when he does play. :)

Again that is an old-school manager in pre-season back in the 1980s, I get team bonding and working as a group, but modern football is more tactical knowledge of the game and your role in the team and understanding how covering for your teammates is important, Playing Rambo and little boy soldiers is so different to being a Soldier going to war.

Southgate is a clown and it would not surprise me if we failed early and went home with egg on our faces. Southgate knows the United job is his no matter what happens in the tournament, So does he really give a shit about England

Team spirit is vital, but it's pretty easy to create.

The English have never given enough credit to tactics and systems. We've always believed the best players will win games, when it's simply not true. And when you look back on previous England squads it's staggering some of the dumb decisions previous managers have made. Scholes on the left, the Gerrard and Lampard debate. Whilst a better team spirit might have got more out of the golden generation, so would a system that suited them and made the big calls on picking the right players to play the system and not the names.

It's the same now, we've got excellent attacking options so create a system that gets the best out of them. You'd be better off not playing Foden than sticking him on the left. As our best creative player he has to be given a free role in the side. In big games this year he's been the man to step up. Bellingham might have impressive numbers and be a CL winner but he was anonymous in that final. He was anonymous in the QFs and SFs too.

Even if we have to play a back 3 with wing backs, we do it if it means Foden gets freedom on the pitch.

Bellingham, Foden, Palmer and Kane all deserve to start on merit but they all like to occupy the same areas of the pitch so I don’t see how waistcoat will get the best out of them.
I think Kane especially will have to be more disciplined. He just needs to play as a centre forward, England don't need him to come and look for the ball anymore.

Foden, Rice and Bellingham should be the midfield three, with Foden playing an old left half role and Bellingham right half

I think, if fit, the best players should start, but that leaves question marks at left centre half, left back and left wing. Looks like the whole left side could be problematic.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
?
?

Bellingham
Rice
Foden

Saka
Kane
?

I think Kane especially will have to be more disciplined. He just needs to play as a centre forward, England don't need him to come and look for the ball anymore.

Foden, Rice and Bellingham should be the midfield three, with Foden playing an old left half role and Bellingham right half

I think, if fit, the best players should start, but that leaves question marks at left centre half, left back and left wing. Looks like the whole left side could be problematic.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
?
?

Bellingham
Rice
Foden

Saka
Kane
?

I'm not sure Bellingham and Foden can play well together. A modern day Gerrard/Lampard!

Pickford

Walker
Stones
?
?

Bellingham
Rice
Foden

Saka
Kane
?
Grealish on the left.
Gives you control, guile, plus Knows how to link with Foden and can feed him, Kane and the late arriving Bellingham all day long.

Shaw if fit might suit the left back spot as he can get fwd too.

Alternatively, if you take Eze, he's got the left hand side 'go at/,past' ability to swap with Grealish.

I'm not sure Bellingham and Foden can play well together. A modern day Gerrard/Lampard!

I think they can. The issue with Gerrard and Lampard was that we wanted to play 4-4-2 and tried to pigeonhole the best players into that system. It's always been England's issue. We don't put enough into the best tactics to get the best out of the team. We just have a system and throw the best names in and people wonder why someone like Foden isn't as good for England as he is for City!

Foden and Bellingham can play together without a problem, especially in a 4-3-3 system. Saka wide right, Grealish or Eze wide left, although with Gordon's pace and energy and our issue at LB I wouldnt' be against him playing as he would defend.

The whole Scholes v Gerrard was a complete concotioon of our media who make things simple and create news. No issues whatsoever in playing two good players, they can play different positions quite easily if they learn. The country shot itself in the foot by following that media narrative. Good players can play anywhere within reason. Foden, Bernardo, Kevin, nearly all City players can play anywhere.
Foden can play anywhere, Bellingham - Not so sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.