England Squad - Sept 2024 | Foden Withdrawn

I wholly disagree with this international break. It shouldn’t exist, clubs only just got some players back from their Summer two weeks ago, some haven’t played those players yet because they aren’t ready… yet there being asked to go and play for their countries again?

Clubs need to be calling it out because there never used to be three breaks before Christmas.

Clubs should refuse to release their players and see where it ends up.

Well done on Gündoğan retiring from international football, I wish more would follow suit.

The fact that there's already an international break after the Euro's just ended is just insanity.

Anyway- I'm buzzing for Rico.

Leaving Wharton off for Gomes and Gibbs-White is shocking. I watched Palace's game vs. West Ham, and despite losing, he and Eze were Palace's best players by a lot.

Decent little squad, that. Nice balance of established internationals and players moving up from the youth teams. A few surprising omissions though - where's Wharton?

From a City perspective, not too surprising. Kyle could have got a call-up but I understand if his age has worked against him there. I still think he's a very good right-back but I understand the thinking that others have suggested, that he probably won't be in the squad at the next major tournament so it makes sense to explore successors for him. John and Phil were always going to be nailed on if fit. Rico's call-up is very well-deserved and hopefully it's the start of him being regularly involved for his country. Calling Jack up is obviously a message to the player that he's not out of the loop and still has an international future - I'm sure that's much appreciated and hopefully he can get some game time to help with his fitness and confidence.

I'd love to see major gametime for everyone in the squad in these fixtures. I know the Nations League is technically competitive but I think it's important that these younger players actually get some experience. I want to see what they can do, and it's the only way to really know if they're ready for it. And it'd be nice to not work Stonesy to the bone like every other England camp.

This squad is always odd given that only 2 games have been played. Madueke was useless against us, scores a hat trick against Wolves and is called up. His name was never mentioned previously. Mainoo, useless last season, useless this but still gets a call up. Wharton good enough for the Euros squad but is now not in the squad. Stones and Foden not even played 90 minutes between them as we try and manage their return but called up. Gomes, we all know why. Walker bombed out but Maguire in. Jack is also an odd inclusion.

EDIT: Just seen this quote from Carsley.

Lee Carsley on why he chose not to include Kyle Walker: "I think the fact that Kyle hasn't played this season would suggest that Manchester City are phasing him in slowly.

"It's important that players coming in are up to speed and that they're ready to play. I would say 98% of the squad have played a lot of minutes".

How the fuck then can you pick Stones and Foden then!

Last edited:
Wonder if Ben White may change his mind and make himself available again soon?

This squad is always odd given that only 2 games have been played. Madueke was useless against us, scores a hat trick against Wolves and is called up. His name was never mentioned previously. Mainoo, useless last season, useless this but still gets a call up. Wharton good enough for the Euros squad but is now not in the squad. Stones and Foden not even played 90 minutes between them as we try and manage their return but called up. Gomes, we all know why. Walker bombed out but Maguire in. Jack is also an odd inclusion.

EDIT: Just seen this quote from Carsley.

Lee Carsley on why he chose not to include Kyle Walker: "I think the fact that Kyle hasn't played this season would suggest that Manchester City are phasing him in slowly.

"It's important that players coming in are up to speed and that they're ready to play. I would say 98% of the squad have played a lot of minutes".

How the fuck then can you pick Stones and Foden then!
To be fair both played this season.

Not sure why opposition fans don’t give him shit for that.

Imagine Grealish making himself unavailable for England. The grief he’d get would be off the scale.
Funny you mention Grealish, a little bird told me he was one of the reasons White pulled out after Jack had words with him.

You’re right though, the perma tanned gobshight got off lightly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.