England U21

Always makes me laugh how fans can pass judgement on a manager for a development team based on performances and results.

If Davies was as bad as some of you "experts" make him out to be, you would have thought the people in charge of this multi million pound operation who oversee the day to day running of the whole thing and tell him who to pick and promote would have got rid of him by now?

With all due respect, the way some of you go on about young players who then end up in the lower leagues, i know who i would put my faith in on these decisions.

Always makes me laugh how fans can pass judgement on a manager for a development team based on performances and results.

If Davies was as bad as some of you "experts" make him out to be, you would have thought the people in charge of this multi million pound operation who oversee the day to day running of the whole thing and tell him who to pick and promote would have got rid of him by now?

With all due respect, the way some of you go on about young players who then end up in the lower leagues, i know who i would put my faith in on these decisions.

It's garnered from watching him and getting a sense of him from the sidelines. He's incredibly dour, and I've witnessed players look visibly pissed off/bitter towards him compared to their reactions to the likes of Vieira, Wilcox and Carlsey. It is notably different. Heads down, shaking and dejected body language. Very little motivation from the sidelines. Stands there silently with his arms crossed and only really pipes up when there's sumat to moan about.

Also for others, and I can relate to this too to an extent, it's garnered from talking to lots of people with very close connections to the players. Family, friends etc. Heard that a lot of the players don't like him, and that's not an uncommon opinion either.

If the players aren't motivated by him then it's futile. In my personal case it's not about results, its about the reaction to him from the players and my personal overall impressions too. You can read a lot from body language, what people do and also, quite literally, what you're told.

ps - i'll add the caveat that I never had a problem with Vieira and the results were arguably worse at times. What was clear though was that the players obviously respected and looked up to him. I don't get that impression. I could be wrong, yep, but just calling it as I see it and comparing how he comes across compared to the other coaches.

It's garnered from watching him and getting a sense of him from the sidelines. He's incredibly dour, and I've witnessed players look visibly pissed off/bitter towards him compared to their reactions to the likes of Vieira, Wilcox and Carlsey. It is notably different. Heads down, shaking and dejected body language. Very little motivation from the sidelines. Stands there silently with his arms crossed and only really pipes up when there's sumat to moan about.

Also for others, and I can relate to this too to an extent, it's garnered from talking to lots of people with very close connections to the players. Family, friends etc. Heard that a lot of the players don't like him, and that's not an uncommon opinion either.

If the players aren't motivated by him then it's futile. In my personal case it's not about results, its about the reaction to him from the players and my personal overall impressions too. You can read a lot from body language, what people do and also, quite literally, what you're told.

If all that is true, then why isn't he replaced? It's not like he is on a huge contract. The club are stock piling the world's supposedly best youngsters for huge sums of money and on huge wages, you think they would allow someone to continue in charge if all of what you said was true?

Also it wouldn't surprise me if the players and parents who don't like him are the ones who hardly play or have told some criticisms as we all know how precious they can be.

If all that is true, then why isn't he replaced? It's not like he is on a huge contract. The club are stock piling the world's supposedly best youngsters for huge sums of money and on huge wages, you think they would allow someone to continue in charge if all of what you said was true?

Also it wouldn't surprise me if the players and parents who don't like him are the ones who hardly play or have told some criticisms as we all know how precious they can be.

I honestly don't know, and no - it's not only from ones on the sidelines. Players can be precious, of course, but in general our lads are pretty well disciplined. There has been kids who haven't got scholarships in the past cos of their attitude, despite their talent. Wilcox is perhaps the most critical coach I could think of at youth level. He never shut up, but i've never got the same sense of negativity towards him from the players. More a begrudging respect, even if he was a bit of a strict teacher to them.

I obviously don't know why he's there, but the assumption that there's no way a club with so much money would hire people not for purpose obviously isn't true. I was chatting to one family member the other day and he was saying that the scouts that left City to join United were amazed at how little United had in place in youth scouting, despite their money. It was a shambles apparently. It can happen everywhere. People are fallible, people make mistakes, people put their trust in players and people that are perhaps not right cos of personal connections, taking their eye off the ball or whatever. They're human. Just cos they're rich and near the top of the game, it doesn't mean they won't put faith in the wrong player, wrong coach or wrong whoever. It happens every day at every club, and ours too, as we all know. It happens in every industry everywhere. Big, successful people make errors or put faith in the wrong people. It will always happen.

I may be wrong, we all may be wrong, family, players, fans and all. Davies could be brilliant, and id be happy to admit I'm wrong - but this is just a relatively educated guess and a gut instinct on my part. All I know as a fan is that watching Davies on the sidelines is like watching miserable, depressing paint dry. I guess we'll see come the summer really. Anything else is just conjecture admittedly.

Last edited:

I`ve passed judgement after watching his managerial performance in various games but, the final straw for me was against Derby at the A.J. Bell he acted like an arse for the major part of the night slagging players off then sat on his arse with his arms folded for the last 25 minutes.

There's only one 'expert' on here & it's obviously you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.