England v Hungary | Nations League | Tues 14th June '22

Rice and Phillips are part of a problem England have.

I don’t say that disrespectfully, they’re triers and I can’t knock that but no real quality needed at the highest level. To get over the line and start winning things, you need players that can control that midfield with quality, not just effort

Rice ‘no real quality’ hahaha

I know Southgate has had a lot of luck with cup draws and ref decisions, but I don’t think anyone can seriously claim that he’s not done a good job for England.

I know people will rightly point out that we’ve failed to score from open play in the Nations League, but we’ve been like that throughout Southgate’s reign. We tend to scrape victories, rely on set pieces and keep it tight at the back which has served us well in the cup competitions.

I think what this experiment shows is that a double midfield pivot of Rice and someone else is a must. I also think this isn’t the time to be bedding in new players like Gallagher or Bowen. Allow the tried and tested group to gain some form and momentum.

I know it’s a bit shitty on in-form players but Southgate standing by the likes of Raz, Maguire and Stones etc has served him well. I remember Deschamps refusing to pick Laporte who was arguably the best French CB at the time and thinking it was nonsense. Yet he went and won the WC.

Had we won the penalty’s do you really think we’d be questioning tiredness, substitutions and tactics? We lost on a lucky dip shoot out after making our first final tournament final in 55 years
We was brilliant throughout

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.