England World Cup Squad.

As usual, I'm naively hopeful. Three at the back should make us difficult to score against, supported by conceding just 1 goal in the last 4 against Spain, Germany, Holland and Italy. Euro 2016 was won by Portugal making themselves very hard to defeat, rather than able to win.

I think I'd have left out Cahill, Rose and Welbeck for Tarkowski, Shelvey and Lookman but generally it's the squad I expected.

South gate said he dropped Hart because he was selecting players on form and felt there were goalkeepers who had had a better season which is fair enough. He then left shelvy out, probably the best English midfielder at the moment. And included welbeck. Surely there are more consistent players than welbeck.

That midfield is just shocking. The only one with any creativity is Loftus-Cheek and I don't see him being a starter. A lot of pressure will be on Stones to bring the ball out and actually do something with it cos Henderson and Dier will just keep passing it sideways between themselves.

That midfield is just shocking. The only one with any creativity is Loftus-Cheek and I don't see him being a starter. A lot of pressure will be on Stones to bring the ball out and actually do something with it cos Henderson and Dier will just keep passing it sideways between themselves.
I'm hoping after the Italy performance that Sterling will be an advanced midfielder.

Defenders:
Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) has pace,
Gary Cahill (Chelsea) not good enough,
Fabian Delph (Manchester City), most improved England player
Phil Jones (Manchester United) better than Cahill,
Harry Maguire (Leicester) will raise his game
Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur) has pace,
John Stones (Manchester City) will be a key defender and has pace,
Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur) okay player ,
Kyle Walker (Manchester City),
Ashley Young (Manchester United) good utitily.

Midfielders:
Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur) okay,
Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur) potential to be great,
Jordan Henderson (Liverpool) incoming!,
Jesse Lingard (Manchester United) hate to write it, but he will suit us better,
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) who knows.

Forwards:
Harry Kane (Tottenham) all about me player,
Marcus Rashford (Manchester United) pace,
Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) pace,
Jamie Vardy (Leicester) pace,

Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) wtf ?.

Pickford
stones macguire
walker dier delph

lingard Loftus-Cheek
raheem
vardy rashford

Has Welbeck done anything this season to justify his inclusion?
I think he could be useful if he is given the right instructions and works on his holdup play, he's physically much stronger than Vardy or Kane and at least there's 3 different kinds of strikers there which gives us some flexibility for different opponents but he's 3rd choice if we need something different basically.

Vardy is the pacey run in behind type against a high line, Kane is our best CF option on his day(not sure how best to describe his style, perhaps a fox in the box?).

Rashford and Sterling always start for me, I'm kind of glad Chamberlain isn't going because although I'd take him over Henderson in a heartbeat for midfield, he'd be played out of position on the RW taking Sterling's place, based on how he was used in the qualifiers.

Not sure I agree with Cahill or Henderson going, I'd have taken Tarkowski over Cahill and since Dier is a slightly better DM than Henderson(that's not saying much, should be ok with Delph next to him hopefully) we could have taken Foden or even Lallana would be more useful if fit.

Not sure about on my first choice keeper to be honest, if Pickford has the distribution some claim he has(I've yet to see it in an England shirt) then he gets the nod.

My_England_11.gif

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.