English Football response to the Corona Virus (COVID-19)

citymike1969

Team supported
City
It seems that the COVID-19 panic is now likely to have an effect on spectator sports in England. Firstly, thanks to an article in the Telegraph, we were told of the possibility of the PL season being cancelled. Latterly the chatter has turned to playing games behind closed doors.

My concern is that with the latter option certain teams will be at a disadvantage. Here's an example...on Saturday 14th March Norwich and Southampton are due to meet at Carrow Rd. Both these sides are in a relegation battle - in the previous fixture between the 2 sides at St Mary's, Southampton had the advantage of their home crowd behind them, yet in the return fixture Norwich would not be afforded that... how can this possibly be fair? It's not something that anyone could possibly state would 'even itself out'.

With this in mind, if the worst comes to the worst, I feel that football supporters across the country should lobby the authorities for the complete cancellation of the 2019-20 season with records up to the point of cancellation completely expunged.

Thoughts?

jurgen-klopp_3541071b_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpJliwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.jpg

As I stated in the OP, I feel that playing the games behind closed doors is manifestly unfair, which is why I'm in favour of cancellation and clearing the seasons record from the history books. If everything has cleared up re COVID-19 by August then we start a new season with a fresh slate. If however the league table starts to look like it does this season again, 2020-21 season should also be cancelled!

Last edited:
The season needs to be cancelled if the public health advice/emergency powers prohibit public gatherings.

will not be popular (especially for half of Merseyside) but there’s no other way around it I can see. Behind closed door games isn’t fair and would affect the integrity of the competition.

tough one for footballs administrators tho.

Last edited:
Liverpool will have won it before anything gets done.
Of far bigger consequence for the clubs concerned is the relegation battle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.