English players

bluechampion7891

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 Apr 2014
Messages
3,022
K-Bo said:
Ray78 said:
K-Bo said:
Yeah not really a nationalist issue as much as a premier league and champions league issue. Someone like Clichy, foreign but under the rules homegrown would be just as good.

Does Schneiderlin count as home grown? Or was he not at southampton's youth for long enough.

Southampton did buy Schneiderlin from Strasbourg but he does qualify but it will cost a stupid amount of money to sign him.

Might not be a terrible big money signing that though, we need a quality central midfielder and a homegrown player who is young(ish) and could compete in our first XI. Rather him than Barkley, but tbh reckon Schneiderlin will go to united.

i think he would come at a decent fee. maybe 30M unless there is a price war (possible with spurs and arsenal interested). he will also most likely push for a move next summer. only b/c Southampton sold a lot of players this season they were unwilling to let him go (he tried his best)

I also think he is much better than fernando although I am willing to give him till the end of the season. He can play in a 2 and he is technically better. HG is another added advantage
 

Ray78

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 Sep 2008
Messages
18,090
bluechampion7891 said:
Ray78 said:
bluechampion7891 said:
I agree. although they wont necessarily be english

IMO Pozo/Barker/lopes/Iheanacho can all play the role of squad players, 5th choice attacking midfielder or 4th choice striker/shadow striker type

I don't care if they are English or not. As long as the academy is producing sufficient amount of quality who can fit into our team is all I am bothered about,

i totally agree. my comment was more related to the title. it should have been homegrown players

Perhaps the OP should change the thread title.
 

BigOscar

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 Jun 2013
Messages
13,874
Very few worth wasting money on. Next year we can easily replace Milner with Lopes, Boyata with Denayer and then we have a wealth of fantastic 17/18 year olds threatening to burst through and are only getting better. I'd rather we replaced the average foreigners with better foreigners than wasted big money on average English players. Only HG players that could be worth it would be Clyne and Schneiderlein, then maybe a homegrown keeper to replace Willy if we get short on foreign spots.
 

Ray78

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 Sep 2008
Messages
18,090
bluechampion7891 said:
K-Bo said:
Ray78 said:
Southampton did buy Schneiderlin from Strasbourg but he does qualify but it will cost a stupid amount of money to sign him.

Might not be a terrible big money signing that though, we need a quality central midfielder and a homegrown player who is young(ish) and could compete in our first XI. Rather him than Barkley, but tbh reckon Schneiderlin will go to united.

i think he would come at a decent fee. maybe 30M unless there is a price war (possible with spurs and arsenal interested). he will also most likely push for a move next summer. only b/c Southampton sold a lot of players this season they were unwilling to let him go (he tried his best)

I also think he is much better than fernando although I am willing to give him till the end of the season. He can play in a 2 and he is technically better. HG is another added advantage

Fernando is more experienced and although not a flashy player he is what we need and is good value imo. Schneiderlin is similar and for £30m is too much for what we want.
 

kun

Well-Known Member
Joined
31 Oct 2009
Messages
11,138
Location
Dreamland...
sam-caddick said:
I agree with the posts above, no more squad fillers, average British players just to fill quotas, that's just settling for second best.

We have some outstanding youngsters who need to be developed in the first team, they are our future.

Only Sterling or Clyne have the quality to be a Manchester City player and even they won't be a certain starter.

I would say that Barkley has the quality, but not for the prices quoted. Oxlade-Chamberlain (who IMO is a better player than Sterling ATM) as well.

Patrick Roberts, John Stones, Dominic Solanke and a couple of others have the potential but would struggle in our squad right now.
 

Ray78

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 Sep 2008
Messages
18,090
BigOscar said:
Very few worth wasting money on. Next year we can easily replace Milner with Lopes, Boyata with Denayer and then we have a wealth of fantastic 17/18 year olds threatening to burst through and are only getting better. I'd rather we replaced the average foreigners with better foreigners than wasted big money on average English players. Only HG players that could be worth it would be Clyne and Schneiderlein, then maybe a homegrown keeper to replace Willy if we get short on foreign spots.

Not many HG keepers on the market and If Gunn improves even further he may take the spot in the future. For now WIlly is what we want in a keeper. It's better saving the cash for a "Worldie".
 

bluechampion7891

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 Apr 2014
Messages
3,022
Ray78 said:
bluechampion7891 said:
K-Bo said:
Might not be a terrible big money signing that though, we need a quality central midfielder and a homegrown player who is young(ish) and could compete in our first XI. Rather him than Barkley, but tbh reckon Schneiderlin will go to united.

i think he would come at a decent fee. maybe 30M unless there is a price war (possible with spurs and arsenal interested). he will also most likely push for a move next summer. only b/c Southampton sold a lot of players this season they were unwilling to let him go (he tried his best)

I also think he is much better than fernando although I am willing to give him till the end of the season. He can play in a 2 and he is technically better. HG is another added advantage

Fernando is more experienced and although not a flashy player he is what we need and is good value imo. Schneiderlin is similar and for £30m is too much for what we want.

I don't know. From what I have seen this season Fernando excels in a very specific role and is suited for a very specific formation. He is also a squad player and not someone who I would expect to start in 2/3 rd of the premier league games. Schniderlin on the other hand IMO is good enough to be both a starter and he can play a much wider role. he is technically better than fernando - he plays as part of a double pivot whereas fernando has mostly struggled (although I am willing to give him the benefit till the end of the season and I also agree that at 12M he is good value). I also think that Schniderlin + a new top quality CM like Pogba or Koke can become our Matic and Fabregas and will probably surpass them (and are younger)
 

Ray78

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 Sep 2008
Messages
18,090
bluechampion7891 said:
Ray78 said:
bluechampion7891 said:
i think he would come at a decent fee. maybe 30M unless there is a price war (possible with spurs and arsenal interested). he will also most likely push for a move next summer. only b/c Southampton sold a lot of players this season they were unwilling to let him go (he tried his best)

I also think he is much better than fernando although I am willing to give him till the end of the season. He can play in a 2 and he is technically better. HG is another added advantage

Fernando is more experienced and although not a flashy player he is what we need and is good value imo. Schneiderlin is similar and for £30m is too much for what we want.

I don't know. From what I have seen this season Fernando excels in a very specific role and is suited for a very specific formation. He is also a squad player and not someone who I would expect to start in 2/3 rd of the premier league games. Schniderlin on the other hand IMO is good enough to be both a starter and he can play a much wider role. he is technically better than fernando - he plays as part of a double pivot whereas fernando has mostly struggled (although I am willing to give him the benefit till the end of the season and I also agree that at 12M he is good value). I also think that Schniderlin + a new top quality CM like Pogba or Koke can become our Matic and Fabregas and will probably surpass them (and are younger)

Don't get me wrong I do rate Morgan Schneiderlin but not at the price he will go for and the role he would occupy in our team. Fernando does a similar job and has a few medals under his belt for and all for £12m and is only a couple of years older than the Frenchman.
 

g180aj

Well-Known Member
Joined
16 Jun 2009
Messages
4,438
kun said:
sam-caddick said:
I agree with the posts above, no more squad fillers, average British players just to fill quotas, that's just settling for second best.

We have some outstanding youngsters who need to be developed in the first team, they are our future.

Only Sterling or Clyne have the quality to be a Manchester City player and even they won't be a certain starter.

I would say that Barkley has the quality, but not for the prices quoted. Oxlade-Chamberlain (who IMO is a better player than Sterling ATM) as well.

Patrick Roberts, John Stones, Dominic Solanke and a couple of others have the potential but would struggle in our squad right now.
John stones would fit in perfect as would Clyne and only progress with us, i think to progress to the next level, sterling and Barkley need to move to a club with better players and without the need to rely on them.
 

g180aj

Well-Known Member
Joined
16 Jun 2009
Messages
4,438
Ray78 said:
bluechampion7891 said:
Ray78 said:
Fernando is more experienced and although not a flashy player he is what we need and is good value imo. Schneiderlin is similar and for £30m is too much for what we want.

I don't know. From what I have seen this season Fernando excels in a very specific role and is suited for a very specific formation. He is also a squad player and not someone who I would expect to start in 2/3 rd of the premier league games. Schniderlin on the other hand IMO is good enough to be both a starter and he can play a much wider role. he is technically better than fernando - he plays as part of a double pivot whereas fernando has mostly struggled (although I am willing to give him the benefit till the end of the season and I also agree that at 12M he is good value). I also think that Schniderlin + a new top quality CM like Pogba or Koke can become our Matic and Fabregas and will probably surpass them (and are younger)

Don't get me wrong I do rate Morgan Schneiderlin but not at the price he will go for and the role he would occupy in our team. Fernando does a similar job and has a few medals under his belt for and all for £12m and is only a couple of years older than the Frenchman.
Scniderlin is a far better player than fernando! Another good shout would be Alex song think We could get him for £15-20 mill and he has retired from international football.
 

Don't have an account?

Register now!
Top
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.