English players

K-Bo

With Milner seemingly leaving it seems like we might have a bit of a dilemma in this department, really don't want us to go wasting all our limited FFP budget on some overrated english player.

IMO, we should sign Delph on something like a 3 year deal. Probably not good enough for city when all is said and done, but is a good player and not impossible he could make it in a squad player type capacity, and more importantly would tend to quota needs. He would also be free in the summer, so there would be minimal cost outside of wages and I reckon we would have more appeal than spurs, who could also not guarantee him a first team place.

The free transfer element also would mean if he did flop, there would be no real cost to us, rather than spending 60 mil on Barkley who although better is far from the finished article and would probably get around the same amount of football.

Does anybody else have suggestions for english players we could buy that doesn't utilize our entire budget?

Ray78 said:

I agree. although they wont necessarily be english

IMO Pozo/Barker/lopes/Iheanacho can all play the role of squad players, 5th choice attacking midfielder or 4th choice striker/shadow striker type

Please, no more Delphs.
No more Jack Rodwells, no more Scott Sinclairs, no more Adam Johnsons.

Only buy players if they are top quality and better than what we have, otherwise use the academy system.

Brandon Barker, Devante Cole, George Glendon, Angus Gunn, Karim Rekik, Kelechi Iheanacho, Seko Fofana, Jose Pozo, Marcos Lopes, Jason Denayer, Angelino, Bersant Celina, Jack Byrne. Use lads like these to fill the squad and concentrate our spending on players that will improve the first XI.

kun said:
Please, no more Delphs.

Only buy players if they are top quality and better than what we have, otherwise use the academy system.

Brandon Barker, Devante Cole, George Glendon, Angus Gunn, Karim Rekik, Kelechi Iheanacho, Seko Fofana, Jose Pozo, Marcos Lopes, Jason Denayer, Angelino, Bersant Celina, Jack Byrne. Use lads like these to fill the squad and concentrate our spending on players that will improve the first XI.

That would be lovely except I really don't think we are in a position of power in this issue. If we replace Milner with say Pozo and it turns out he can't hack even being a squad player than we are effed. Delph is proven to be at least a premier league quality player and would cost nothing, and would come to us on a low wage, zero risk to the deal. . REally think EDS players need to be drip fed into the team rather than instantly part of the set-up

United thrust in Januzaj, who's probably around the same level as say Lopes and now he's looking washed up. Worst thing you can do to a young player is get in a position where u have to rely on him 6/7/8 games in a row. What if he does badly, due to lack of match practice or nerves? Then it's interpreted that the player isn't good enough when they might well have been if introduced in a more controlled manner.

Delph is someone who could come and perform a role similar to Lampard, less goals but more agility. Obviously not a world beater but sometimes needs must, and we need english players.

James Ward Prowse would be a decent option. He also has that talent that appears rare at our club - ability to take a corner. Would make a decent squad player.

The point made above, re our youngsters is a good one. I think it is important for us to show we have faith in our youth products.

bluechampion7891 said:
Ray78 said:

I agree. although they wont necessarily be english

IMO Pozo/Barker/lopes/Iheanacho can all play the role of squad players, 5th choice attacking midfielder or 4th choice striker/shadow striker type

I don't care if they are English or not. As long as the academy is producing sufficient amount of quality who can fit into our team is all I am bothered about,

kun said:
Please, no more Delphs.

+100

I'm sick of the squad filler who contribute nothing and end up either sitting on their fat contracts or sold with the obligatory "City is shit for English players because I wasn't good enough" interview.

The only obtainable HG players maybe worth buying: Clyne (to replace Sagna), Schneiderlin (to replace Fernando IF Fernando struggles to settle - he deserves more time), Sterling (but the cost). And perhaps Ward-Prowse and Barkley (but I'd avoid because it's obvious we we'd have to pay 5x more than his actual worth). If we go back to 4-4-2, I guess you can make an argument for Jay Rodriguez as our #4 striker too.

Pellegrini likes a squad of 21 it is said. That means we only really need 4 non-homegrown in our league squad who can contribute something. We should promote from within if there are no value for money options on the market like the players listed above.

Yeah not really a nationalist issue as much as a premier league and champions league issue. Someone like Clichy, foreign but under the rules homegrown would be just as good.

Does Schneiderlin count as home grown? Or was he not at southampton's youth for long enough.

K-Bo said:
Yeah not really a nationalist issue as much as a premier league and champions league issue. Someone like Clichy, foreign but under the rules homegrown would be just as good.

Does Schneiderlin count as home grown? Or was he not at southampton's youth for long enough.

Southampton did buy Schneiderlin from Strasbourg but he does qualify but it will cost a stupid amount of money to sign him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.