Ephesus

MCFC1993

Anybody been that has got any advice?

Staying a couple of miles outside of Kusadasi in a few weeks and want to know the best way to do this.

Easiest way to travel there? Bus? Taxi? or Rent a car?

How much do we tourists get in the way of enjoying it?
Is it better to get there when the doors open before the tours start, seen a couple on Youtube who did that and it was empty, it looked great. Or is it better to be on one of the tours?

Last edited:
funnily enough ive just returned from kusadasi and i almost booked this trip but in the end the price from TUI put me off!!
one day we spent in kusadasi shopping and there were places down there who were offering trips for a fraction of the price TUI were quoting. for example the boat cruise TUI were advertising for £29 per person i managed to buy for £10 a per person.
I personally wouldnt pay the £49 per person that TUI are avertising the Ephesus trip for. Id get a taxi into town and im sure youd get the same trip a lot cheaper!

You can see part of Ephesus on the transfer from the airport down to kusadasi. Our hotel was outside of kusadasi and it was probably only about 15mins away by bus.

Always wanted to start ticking off some of the UNESCO world heritages sites and this trip to Turkey has given me an opportunity to do this one.

Staying a couple of miles outside of Kusadasi in a few weeks and want to know the best way to do this.

Is it better to get there when the doors open before the tours start, seen a couple on Youtube who did that and it was empty, it looked great. Or is it better to be on one of the tours?

Fantastic place to visit, I did the organised coach job and it was worth having the knowledge of the guide. word of warning though take water with you and as much as you can carry as it is stinking hot, its amazing to think the place was actually a port at one stage its that far from the sea.

Fantastic place to visit, I did the organised coach job and it was worth having the knowledge of the guide. word of warning though take water with you and as much as you can carry as it is stinking hot, its amazing to think the place was actually a port at one stage its that far from the sea.

Was it really a port?? wow it must be about 5miles away from the coast these days!!

Was it really a port?? wow it must be about 5miles away from the coast these days!!
One of the major ports in the Med, in antiquity, the harbour silted up, hence its eventual decline.
A fabulous place though, the library, (rebuilt from the same stone, a quake destroyed the original), amphitheatre,
wine/food shops and brothels. There were also public toilets, which are still there, all in all, for anyone with a sense
of history, it's fascinating.

Always wanted to start ticking off some of the UNESCO world heritages sites and this trip to Turkey has given me an opportunity to do this one.

Look for the guide in a wheelchair - absolutely lovely bloke

Went years ago and sting was playing in the amphitheater was a shite show but stunning setting,I think that there is less than 10% of it that’s been uncovered it’s massive and bloody hot take sunscreen and plenty to drink(not alcohol)
We just used the dolmus and taxis cheap as chips if you do it yourself,

I went in the early 90s and they were still excavating the site. I'd be interested to revisit sometime.

Also went to Pamukkale where calcium deposits from spring fed water had formed white limestone pools to bathe in. It was worth a visit at the time but due to at least 2 surrounding new hotels built that were using the spring water, plus diesel pollution from tourist coaches, the pools were drying up. I saw recent pictures from a friend's holiday and it looks in a sorry state nowadays.

Cheers for the info guys, know a decent amount about the place as I've done my research, so I think we'll try and get up there first thing in a taxi/dolmus. Will definitely take sunscreen and water.

Is the House of the Virgin Mary worth checking out?
On the pictures it doesn't look like much but I don't want to miss anything with us in the region.

@BlueMoonRisin' is Pumakkale worth visiting now? How much of a state is it in?
We were looking at this too as UNESCO have it down as a heritage site. Obviously want to be sure about that one as it's a good couple of hours away.

Cheers for the info guys, know a decent amount about the place as I've done my research, so I think we'll try and get up there first thing in a taxi/dolmus. Will definitely take sunscreen and water.

Is the House of the Virgin Mary worth checking out?
On the pictures it doesn't look like much but I don't want to miss anything with us in the region.

@BlueMoonRisin' is Pumakkale worth visiting now? How much of a state is it in?
We were looking at this too as UNESCO have it down as a heritage site. Obviously want to be sure about that one as it's a good couple of hours away.

as a matter of interest, which hotel are you staying at?

Pumakkale i think is around 3 hours each way in a bus from where we stayed, kind of put us off with 2 young sprogs with us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.