Ephesus

Cheers for the info guys, know a decent amount about the place as I've done my research, so I think we'll try and get up there first thing in a taxi/dolmus. Will definitely take sunscreen and water.

Is the House of the Virgin Mary worth checking out?
On the pictures it doesn't look like much but I don't want to miss anything with us in the region.

@BlueMoonRisin' is Pumakkale worth visiting now? How much of a state is it in?
We were looking at this too as UNESCO have it down as a heritage site. Obviously want to be sure about that one as it's a good couple of hours away.
Judging by the pics it looked a lot smaller than it was when I visited. I think my friend said only two of the pools were still open to bathe in. I seem to remember at least 6 pools when I was there in 94 iirc. It's up to you mate but don't be fooled by old pics shown by reps wanting your cash. It looks as though it's been ruined by mass tourism and greed, but I am only judging from recent holiday pics.

Went late 80s was ok , In hindsight I wish I had gone to Gallipoli as well , would love to do the cappadocia trip .

Ephesus was fantastic to see, but hotter than Satan's arse crack.

Pammukale we went to in 1993. Long trek, but fantastic to see. You could walk on it then, and swim in some pools, but have also heard it's very different now, and too much tourism has spoled big part of it. A shame ...

Fantastic place to visit but as others have said it can get very hot, take plenty to drink.

We went on an organised trip from Marmaris and the travelling was a bit of a pain but worth it for the experience.

as a matter of interest, which hotel are you staying at?

Pumakkale i think is around 3 hours each way in a bus from where we stayed, kind of put us off with 2 young sprogs with us.
Tusan Beach Resort, just 2 miles north of Kusadasi, just me and the girlfriend so travelling within reason isn't too bad. Apparently if you get to Aydin then buses run every half hour but to be honest I don't fancy being on a bus for 5 hours (there and back), would rather rent a car for that one (although doing that brings its own issues).

Definitely doing Ephesus though, that's a must see and the travel is fairly easy.

Tusan Beach Resort, just 2 miles north of Kusadasi, just me and the girlfriend so travelling within reason isn't too bad. Apparently if you get to Aydin then buses run every half hour but to be honest I don't fancy being on a bus for 5 hours (there and back), would rather rent a car for that one (although doing that brings its own issues).

Definitely doing Ephesus though, that's a must see and the travel is fairly easy.

Ah yes I remember passing it on the way to and from kusadasi, think theres a big lake around it or near it? It's just down from adaland water park. We stayed in aqua fantasy just up the hill.
I highly recommend going into town and going down to book a boat trip just past the port. Fantastic day out and the water is amazing, so warm and crystal clear.

Long time since I was in Ephesus but i remember its stunning setting and that many parts of the ampitheatre looked like they'd been restored using modern concrete.

Just got back from Turkey yesterday, appreciate everyone's advice.

Ephesus was the highlight of the trip for me, some amazing things there. The library looks superb, some of the statues are in really good condition and overall the history of the city is quite interesting. Also got there when it wasn't too busy.

The heat was no joke though, nearly 40 degrees celsius at 10:30am, didn't stop the enjoyment but take suncream, glasses and a hat as we did.

Saw the 'Temple of Artemis' which is basically nothing now.

Would go back to Ephesus again one day, hopefully after they've uncovered more than just 15% of the City.

Watched City-Brighton in a bar called deep and dark, right on the sea front, where a pint was about 13-15lira, other city fans there went to some well advertised tourist spots and paid 35lira for a small bottle of Heineken, so I can't complain.

Kusadasi itself is quite a nice town, we popped into the cruise ship port which was nice, nice little 'pier' to have a drink on, did some bartering on the markets but I would recommend Pigeon Island (Güvercinada), its free and you get a great view of the town and the surrounding areas. It's also really nicely maintained and a nice little place to walk around.

Didn't do Pumakkale but met people who did and they weren't impressed. Water source is being affected further up by the government apparently, so they only have half the area open at one time. Alternating which half based on where they divert the water, have to keep changing which half to keep the stones white.

Didn't do House of the Virgin Mary as it didn't open until the afternoon and was told it wasn't worth being out all day in Efes for.

Wish we'd had a proper trip into Selcuk and may have done the boat trip to Samos if we'd gone for 2 weeks.

Would recommend Ephesus to anybody though.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.