Epstein / Prince Andrew / Maxwell

So the Americans have Ghislaine banged up inside until next summer, that's a one year sentence and yet she's supposedly innocent until proven guilty? Now, honestly, I have no time for the woman; if she's done half the things I've heard and read, then she is a disgusting specimen (not too shabby, though?). Also, I understand the flight risk argument; but a year's sentence when you are still'innocent'? Maybe in Russia or China; but in a Western democracy there are alternatives...house arrest, confiscate passport, report to the cops every day, wear one of those ankle tags? Just my thoughts, but what the hell do I know?

So the Americans have Ghislaine banged up inside until next summer, that's a one year sentence and yet she's supposedly innocent until proven guilty? Now, honestly, I have no time for the woman; if she's done half the things I've heard and read, then she is a disgusting specimen (not too shabby, though?). Also, I understand the flight risk argument; but a year's sentence when you are still'innocent'? Maybe in Russia or China; but in a Western democracy there are alternatives...house arrest, confiscate passport, report to the cops every day, wear one of those ankle tags? Just my thoughts, but what the hell do I know?

Not much, it seems. Large criminal cases, such as this one, can take time to go to trial. It is not just the prosecution taking the many weeks or months to prepare but also, and especially, the defence. Her attorneys will (should) be painstakingly going through the discovery process and analyzing every bit of evidence the state has against her.

Should, for some reason, her counsel be concerned she is jailed unnecessarily, and without due process, they may file a writ of habeas corpus. A habeas corpus writ requires, essentially, ones jailers to bring them to court for a hearing as to whether their detention is lawful.

Under the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, defendants are guaranteed the right to a speedy trial. Pretty much every state has a statute stating when a trial should begin, usually between 60 and 90 days. Many, if not most, denfence attorneys will waive this right in an effort to give them time to mount a better defence.

And finally, if she should be found guilty and sentenced to thirty years, for example, the judge will likely say her time incarcerated prior to trial will count towards her sentence.

Bang her up on remand for a year. Hope Trump loses and they can add it to the biggest charge sheet ever he can brag about.

Not much, it seems. Large criminal cases, such as this one, can take time to go to trial. It is not just the prosecution taking the many weeks or months to prepare but also, and especially, the defence. Her attorneys will (should) be painstakingly going through the discovery process and analyzing every bit of evidence the state has against her.

Should, for some reason, her counsel be concerned she is jailed unnecessarily, and without due process, they may file a writ of habeas corpus. A habeas corpus writ requires, essentially, ones jailers to bring them to court for a hearing as to whether their detention is lawful.

Under the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, defendants are guaranteed the right to a speedy trial. Pretty much every state has a statute stating when a trial should begin, usually between 60 and 90 days. Many, if not most, denfence attorneys will waive this right in an effort to give them time to mount a better defence.

And finally, if she should be found guilty and sentenced to thirty years, for example, the judge will likely say her time incarcerated prior to trial will count towards her sentence.
Thanks BDTR, you obviously know a lot more than I do (not difficult). I am completely aware of your final point, and if she did go to trial in 60 to 90 days, then fair enough, no problem. But I've just looked at a BBC report on the case and I see her team did apply for bail...it was refused and the case is set to go to trial in July 2021. So,I still have an issue. Surely, all of the necessary pre-trial stuff that you mention can be done regardless of the defendant's location, provided they take the appropriate measures to keep her in one place? But, like I said, what the hell do I know? And that's my final answer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.