Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garcia can enjoy the year on the bench or in the youth team then. They need a CB since Umtiti might leave for Roma. And I doubt they tryna get a player who didn‘t play for a year- especially as Pique‘s replacement.

It's a lovely narrative but largely fiction but keep telling yourself that Barca will be relegated and be in line for food stamps shortly, esp. when Leo retires

I have no pain in this. I am thrilled for the pending return of one of our own. My only concern is for Pep's reputation to stay intact, it has been smeared too much by local fools long enough - a drawn out transfer for a player like Garcia would really push him even further from the club. Not the kind of line in the sand I would hope Guardiola would really want to cross

Manchester City are not in the business of doing Barcelona any favours at all and Pep works for City and does what's best for City, if Barca or their fans want to throw their toys out of the pram then that's their lookout. City will do a deal with Barca if it's right for them not just because we have some vague affiliation with them because we have one of their ex managers on our payroll.

You do realise that Pep and Txiki work for City? Aside from that, i'm not sure they have any secondary loyalties to Barca either. After all, we took Garcia from Barca in the first place. I have seen nothing to suggest that our relationship with Barca is any better than it is with the other G-14 clubs.

Must be a rhetorical question, obviously everyone is aware of where Txiki & Pep are employed...just as much as everyone is aware of their Barcelona roots. I contend that since Pep left Barca in 2012 he has tread lightly when it comes to his hometown club - he has been respectful and acrimony has been avoided whenever possible. It's not merely a question of his professionalism but also that relationship to Barca, a relationship that has no expiration date

The reality is this: Garcia is on a very low wage, since he hasn't signed a new deal after entering the first-team. So if you are only offering 10m, then the cost of him staying for a year would be 10m + his wages. So we would hardly be losing much by letting him go on a free next year.

Monetarily, the amount is small (10M for fee, 625k annual salary) relative to overall budget or revenue but on balance it remains a financial loss for City on top of the damage parking a player wishing to exit does. Let's assume the difference in valuation is in the neighborhood of 5-8 million, would it be better to take a 10-15M profit or swallow 11M loss on top of the negative consequences of keeping a player against his will: that's effectively a 25M swing in the books

Have you considered the slightest possibility that the intervening years Pep has had away from the Barcelona bubble May have coloured his opinion of the club, and he might not care about his reputation with Barca fans as you would like to think?

Give your head a wobble. The feelings of Barcelona fans are not first and foremost for anybody other Barcelona fans.

Guess who else remains a Barca fan, your coach

We’re not a charity either and both people are part of the CFG, so their loyalty is to their current employer not some emotional nostalgia. The player has made his decision so every other player knows he’s already on his way out and it’s a competitive business. By not playing him we’d not be punishing him simply prioritising those who are loyal. We wouldn’t want youngsters thinking that we’re merely a three-year education facility for other clubs and, as you say, you’re in no pecuniary plight, so stump up. You already have the player, hence it’s just a question of when you want to use him.

Is it charity though? You received a 16 year old without paying a fee, developed elsewhere. You developed and profited from his minutes & contributions with very little salary impact. A developmental fee for 3 years is absolutely warranted and I have no contention with it

I do not concur that his value to Barca is that of what he would be on the open market, particularly when he is not open to the market - only returning to Barcelona

I do agree that some compromise will be needed and likely since I cannot envision Pep benching him - there are too many ways it would reflect badly for City IMHO, much less Pep. Barca, in this case, have little to lose apart from waiting a year to get him for free and, again, have most of the leverage from a negotiating standpoint. He has an expiring contract and only wants to return

I am just a bit surprised by City's stance, surely they are aware that Barca will not stump up market value for him - I can only assume the 23M figure was floated to pressure Barto to stump up more than 10M. A big reason why I think it'll end up somewhere in the middle, perhaps even incentive laden based on 1st team appearances, trophies etc.

The other influencing factors here would be Puyol & De la Pena - it's a complicated situation that will require some cool heads so we'll see how it plays out

Anything over £15M would be great business. Shows how far Barcelona have fallen in my view; tapping up a frankly pretty average CB. He may grow into the real deal but i really doubt it. As for this nonsense about Guardiola not wanting to distance himself from his former club, it is fanciful and naive. City are a well run club these days and won’t be giving anything away to any club..

..and we can certainly keep him until the end on his contract. Can’t see a downside to that either. Players need to be professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.