Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Garcia does not want to be at City. Hence, he pushed for a move this summer to Barcelona and will try to leave again in January. He's bound by his contract to stay; that does not mean it is his wish to do so. If that contract could be null and voided right now and he could go back to Barcelona, he'd already be on the plane there.
At present, he is under contract at City. He said as much when asked about his future with La Roja in August, that he hopes to return for his final season at City. He has not handed in a transfer request and has not sit out training or refused to play yet somehow the conclusion is that he does not want to be here at City, presently.

In the future, he will leave as he has rebuffed a contract extension but has said nothing else about a possible destination - showing professionalism to complete his contract and not unsettle the club or its fans

Even under the most ideal circumstances what would/should a player in his position do that could be perceived as more professional?

A player like Jeffren is exactly my point; serviceable if not spectacular. Pep gave him significant minutes, as he did with Montoya, Cuenca and Fontas. Tello, Barta were another two but have had better careers. The point is these weren't elite young players, they came in, did a good job and Pep trusted them. It appears as though Pep is more inclined to trust players from La Masia. In the case of City, the only young player Pep has trusted outside Garcia has been Foden; an elite young player with genuine world class potential. The standard for La Masia products seems to be serviceable while, for others, they need to be Phil Fod
Serviceable in a team concept, that he had experienced with the player in the 4th division - it's precisely why he, Busquets & Pedro came with him to the 1st team. Trust & belief that they could add something, which they did when they went on to win every possible competition

Pep brings along youth players (Like Tello, Bartra, Fontes, etc). It's also why Guardiola specifically pointed out how the segunda provides much better preparation for 1st team football than what currently exists in England. It's not merely trust or the fact that these players play in the same way their entire lives but also because they are well seasoned before arriving into the 1st team

I would counter that the standard at La Masia includes Thiago, Grimaldo, Olmo, Adama, Take, Onana, Bellerin, Garcia, Ansu, Carles Perez - if that's only serviceable then which academy actually produces talents? I would be happy if the club course corrected and stayed with 'serviceable' players with La Masia coupled with only a handful of outside transfers

Wilshere didn't turn out to be the player he could have been because of injuries. But Pep being dismissive of his ability at that time spoke volumes. Thiago was already in the first team squad in 2011, no one else you mentioned was close to Wilshere at the time. You have to recall Wilshere made the PFA TOTY at 19, Arsenal POTY, PFA YPOTY, England caps etc. This was genuinely one of the elite young players in world football.

Ultimately, Pep's comments about Wilshere were more about English hype than about the player himself - he simply pointed out that at Barca the cantera produces many similar talents. History would suggest he has been spot on, even with injuries that also ruined the careers of Samper & Cuenca

I suspect many Blues have issue with the fact we are investing time and energy into a kid that would rather be elsewhere,while we have a player in Stones,who very much wants to be a part of our future,and is looking to rebuild his confidence and fitness,sat on our bench.

It doesnt make sense,and it doesnt add up.

It doesn't add up in any way, & there is no real strong neutral argument, to make sense if it.

The football argument doesn't stand up, as Garcia is like the 'before' example in a coaching video. You don't ask central defenders to do what Garcia is currently doing. Anyone who says different is not being truthful.

There is no argument re development of a future player, as he wants to leave.

There is no argument that he is the only option, as there are other options.

So what is left ?

Well if you imagine Mark Hughes instead of Pep, then Garcia is named Griffith, is from Cardiff & played for the rags youth teams & his Welsh agent worked with Hughes for ten years, what would be the general consensus as to why 'Griffiths' gets so many chances compared to others ?

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's most likely a duck.

If in any doubt, we then look back to the little ex Barca attacking mid, recently getting a game at fullback. As if that was the best option available.

It is, clearly, what it is.

It's not a new thing, Ferguson had his son signing players.

Pep is so revered, that people refuse to see it.

Perhaps Eric has his heart set on Barca and there's nothing we can do.

But given his recent playing time ahead of many of our backs and given Barca's recent extension to Pique's contract and given the complete management/player-sentiment mess at Barca as reflected by Messi's deep desire to leave the club...

If I were in Garcia's shoes I'd choose Barca over City only if I had a gun to my head.

Last edited:
Perhaps Eric has his heart set on Barca and there's nothing we can do.

But given his recent playing time ahead of many of our backs and given Barca's recent extension to Pique's contract and given the complete management/player-sentiment mess at Barca as reflected by Messi's deep desire to leave the club...

If I were in Garcia's shoes I'd choose Barca over City only if I had a gun to my head.
Many of you still don’t get it, perhaps never will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.