Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Having looked at the planning application, followed the progress of the arena on social media, attended the Open Doors event, etc, the emphasis is definitely on the inside of the arena, as opposed to the exterior appearance of the arena. The Arena is maximising the whole footprint of the site, hence why it's shaped as it is. A curved arena, or an irregular shaped arena wouldn't achieve that. The site is a square. Hence why the arena is square.

Sorry but don't agree with that. The external appearance is vital for the surrounding area. Another factory looking building does nothing, no matter how good inside. I've seen the impact of the FD Leeds arena on that part of the city. They're building iconic high rise buildings around it. The building looks fantastic and attracts all sorts of coverage when it changes colours etc. Big opportunity missed in my book. Leeds-Arena-4.jpg

Sorry but don't agree with that. The external appearance is vital for the surrounding area. Another factory looking building does nothing, no matter how good inside. I've seen the impact of the FD Leeds arena on that part of the city. They're building iconic high rise buildings around it. The building looks fantastic and attracts all sorts of coverage when it changes colours etc. Big opportunity missed in my book. View attachment 29560

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

With all due respect. In my opinion neither the Leeds Arena nor the student towers are iconic. The student towers are dreadful looking. Even with the landscaping around the Arena, the surrounding area is nothing special. You certainly wouldn't stay there after a concert or an event has finished.

0-F6-C486-D-7053-4346-8322-44261155-D9-A3.jpg

573013-E4-E091-4-AB1-8832-387-D8-D217-D46.jpg

Internally the Leeds Arena is nothing special. It will be totally and utterly overwhelmed internally by the Coop Live Arena. The Coop Live Arena will be one of the best Arenas in the World. The cost of each Arena bears that out. Leeds Arena cost £60mill. The Coop Live Arena is costing £350mill.

1636404111720.jpeg

The word ‘iconic’ is banded about far too often.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

With all due respect. In my opinion neither the Leeds Arena nor the student towers are iconic. The student towers are dreadful looking. Even with the landscaping around Arena, the surrounding area is nothing special. You certainly wouldn't stay there after a concert or an event has finished.

0-F6-C486-D-7053-4346-8322-44261155-D9-A3.jpg

573013-E4-E091-4-AB1-8832-387-D8-D217-D46.jpg

Internally the Leeds Arena is nothing special. It will be totally and utterly overwhelmed internally by the Coop Live Arena. The Coop Live Arena will be one of the best Arenas in the World. The cost of each Arena bears that out. Leeds Arena cost £60mill. The Coop Live Arena is costing £350mill.

View attachment 29566

The word ‘iconic’ is banded about far too often.
I'm not one to cause an argument especially as I really like your posts. But to claim there is nothing around the FD arena is a joke. It's in the fckin city centre. 5 minute walk for great pubs and my bus home. You can watch a gig, have few pints, then go home. This is what our new arena will miss out on until they build up the area or make it a more spectacular venue.

I'm not one to cause an argument especially as I really like your posts. But to claim there is nothing around the FD arena is a joke. It's in the fckin city centre. 5 minute walk for great pubs and my bus home. You can watch a gig, have few pints, then go home. This is what our new arena will miss out on until they build up the area or make it a more spectacular venue.

I was being specific about the area adjacent to the Leeds arena, which is clear in the aerial photographs.

It takes 15 minutes to walk to New Islington and Ancoats. Mary D’s is across the road from the Etihad. ;-)

Over 32 bars and restaurants inside the Coop Live Arena will remain open after the concerts and events. There’s no need to go back into town or to leave the Arena.

Last edited:
It has a hint of brutalism about it. Not the most aesthetically pleasing style but an extremely space effective one.

I really find it quite hard to believe that grown men are whinging about a building "potentially" being matt grey.

Oh the humanity! Not matt grey!! Won't somebody think of the children!
Oh, I love a bit of brutalism, I do. Sick of this wishy washy post modern shite. Bring back the pebble dash!

Have you ever tried walking from the City stadium to town at 11pm when there's not a match on? I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. Good luck if you think that is a nice 15 minute trek.

TBH no I haven't. But I didn't post I think it's a 'nice' 15 minute trek.(at 11pm)

Until the Etihad Campus is fully developed, and the city centre continues to expand further East into Holt Town, and on into Beswick, the area around the Etihad Campus will remain somewhere most people wouldn't really need to go to unless they lived or worked around there. Saying that, the city centre expansion and the gentrification of that side of the city centre creeps ever closer to the Etihad Campus.

Brunswick Place - Bradford Road.

1636414816053.jpeg

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/thre...adford-road-25-19-17-5m-8-6-5-fl-app.2311679/

Last edited:
Sorry but don't agree with that. The external appearance is vital for the surrounding area. Another factory looking building does nothing, no matter how good inside. I've seen the impact of the FD Leeds arena on that part of the city. They're building iconic high rise buildings around it. The building looks fantastic and attracts all sorts of coverage when it changes colours etc. Big opportunity missed in my book. View attachment 29560
The Etihad stadium, as a venue that's welcoming to fans, needs critical mass.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.