EU Referendum

Atypical

Team supported
Manchester City
Might be a thread already is so please merge.

Are you in or out and why?

The EU is strange and i was a supporter of it and thought we should have joined the single currency at the time. If we had i doubt with our financal might behind it it would have suffered the problems it has.

Times change and my mind has not been up but i see the EU being more free market orientated which i dont like, but i like the employment laws etc. I see the EU as becoming the embodiment of neo liberalism.

As a socalist mind my idea of what i want the UK to be would not be able to be achieved inside the EU and for that reason as Tony Benn forsaw in 74 i would probably vote no but with a heavy heart.

A strange coalition as i would rather eat my own shit than vote with the Tory far right on this but our agendas differ greatly and at times you have to what you think is right

How much do we contribute each year to get those benefits, and is it worthwhile?

I agree the British media is anti European in the main and seems to have a embedded superiority gene that we are above Mainland Europe, but is that really the case now, we are not a powerful nation as in the past.

With a further breakup of the UK becoming more inevitable do we stick or twist. We could leave ourselves overlooked for a lot of investment as we would be a relatively small nation if Scotland votes to go it alone, Wales may do the same etc.

If we left entirely could we really go it alone as just England or would we need to get in bed with America or someone else in the end anyway?

Rascal said:
The EU is strange and i was a supporter of it and thought we should have joined the single currency at the time. If we had i doubt with our financal might behind it it would have suffered the problems it has.

Times change and my mind has not been up but i see the EU being more free market orientated which i dont like, but i like the employment laws etc. I see the EU as becoming the embodiment of neo liberalism.

As a socalist mind my idea of what i want the UK to be would not be able to be achieved inside the EU and for that reason as Tony Benn forsaw in 74 i would probably vote no but with a heavy heart.

A strange coalition as i would rather eat my own shit than vote with the Tory far right on this but our agendas differ greatly and at times you have to what you think is right
The EU no question was set up to enshrine free-market capitalism. As such, when it was established, it was to the right of British politics, which is why the tories took us in. It's why Labour gave a referendum on membership and it's why Thatcher, hailed by absolute morons as being the anti-EU queen, signed the Single European Act.

However, over time, as Labour transformed into New Labour, and the tories realised they no longer had to rely on the EU to enforce free-market capitalism, they began to woman and moan because the free-market capitalism of the EU is more Franco-German than Anglo-Saxon. What? Employees have rights? Consumers have rights? Nah, we can't be having that.

However, they are also stuck in an ideological hardplace, in that the tories do not like employee and consumer protections (i.e. all the good parts which protect normal people), but most of their party's big donors will not back them. They want access to the single market, they like the benefits to the business. So, whilst the Conservatives, have long had this populist pretence that they would take us out of Europe, really they only wanted out of the bits that afford all EU citizens greater consumer and employment protections, but now UKIP are here, and seem to actually want out. The tories have long dug their grave over Europe. All throughout the 90s the party was divided by it, and now it's biting them in the arse again. I fucking love it.

If we do pull out , then I can see the whole EU collapsing.
Countries will still trade with us . But a lot of the loser countries in the EU will moan like bitches because they wont be getting our money .
I'm sure that Germany are going to enjoy paying our share to the bone idle Grreks , Spanish and Portuguese .

Definately in, it's an institution that needs some reform - we (the UK) need to drive that from within, not take our ball away and sulk.

As before, we need a strong EU for our own economy. We're not Switzerland which can live on its own FS industry (and I'd like to think we have more morality in the UK than to rely on the dubious way that the Swiss FS industry operates), we're not Norway - the chance to rely on oil and set up the "pension" of historic oil revenues that Norway did has long since passed.

Our kids are already woefully under-prepared in school to deal with international business, they just rely on speaking English, which might not be enough in a few years time. Withdrawing from the EU is hardly going to help.

Being part of a strong European trading bloc means we can look to compete, isolating ourselves won't do us any good in the long run.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.