Euro Qualifiers - Bulgaria v England halted twice due to racist fans

I genuinely would advocate for the England captain and/or manager to inform the ref the game is done, and walk the players off the pitch, if it happens again. I understand the 'best way to shut them up is to win the game' perspective, but I simply do not agree with it anymore. Bulgaria know they're most likely losing the game regardless.

It is so much easier to brush under the carpet when it was minor event but the game carried on - imagine the terrible optics UEFA would have to contend with if they had to consider handing a 3-0 defeat because they dared to protect their players from racial abuse.

I genuinely would advocate for the England captain and/or manager to inform the ref the game is done, and walk the players off the pitch, if it happens again. I understand the 'best way to shut them up is to win the game' perspective, but I simply do not agree with it anymore. Bulgaria know they're most likely losing the game regardless.

It is so much easier to brush under the carpet when it was minor event but the game carried on - imagine the terrible optics UEFA would have to contend with if they had to consider handing a 3-0 defeat because they dared to protect their players from racial abuse.

I agree. Set the precedent. Players/team need to show a zero tolerance approach. Only then will the powers, maybe sit up.

Raheem Sterling received a video call from Hristo Stoichkov in which he apologised for the country's fans' racism towards England players. Stoichkov is said to have broken down in tears during the call, which was organised by Txiki Begiristain. [@SkySportsNews]

Raheem Sterling received a video call from Hristo Stoichkov in which he apologised for the country's fans' racism towards England players. Stoichkov is said to have broken down in tears during the call, which was organised by Txiki Begiristain. [@SkySportsNews]
Well done Hristo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.